Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Pontiac will introduce the G8 sedan in '08 built on the same platform that the Camaro will debut on with 6.0L 360hp V/8 "SS" models at $30-31k. So I suspect the Camaro will be similarly priced in that range with around the same horses and this as their base V/8. (Comparable to the 5.7 Hemi.) I would think the Challengers as well will be in this range with the 5.7 HEMI if Dodge wants to be competitive in this market. I see the SRT 6.1 coming in under $40k because realistically an $8-9k premium for the bigger Hemi is quite a stretch and this would give the Challenger a real jump start in the pony car wars. Of course this is just my business plan. Some bean counters at Dodge could very possibly KILL the Challenger by pricing it out of this market range which would be the beginning of the end for Dodge since this is the most highly anticipated Dodge since the Charger and we all know how that turned out. []
Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

That is easy for a rich boy to say. I can tell you that 99% of the people on this forum cares what they cost.

What is the name of this post again?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on buying an SRT Challenger in 2009, as are a lot of us.

However, I was wondering if anyone else who is planning on buying an SRT could be swayed into buying an R/T? These would be the reasons:

*The horsepower of the 5.7 may be increased to 380 hp.
*The 5.7 with MDS does not have the $2,100 gas guzzler tax.
*The R/Ts MSRP is about $7,000 less.
*The R/T is a more practical every day car and gets better gas mileage.
*The R/T has a lifetime warranty.
*Possibly less insurance.
*Less costly maintenance.

*Also, the R/T Charger currently has a $3,000 factory rebate (we will probably not see this on the Challenger, however).
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Cuda, STOP!

You're logic and reasoning is starting to make me waiver.

I'm fairly certain this is going to be the one illogical purchase I make (other than the electric pet rock I bought in the 80's...don't ask), I want the best power plant they offer and the SRT track day.

But all of those bullets you make really resonate. I will wait 'til July 09 and see if the 5.7's pushing 380, that is something to consider, a little clandestine 3rd party upgrade to push it over the top (and easily removable if warranty work is required), that starts to look really attractive!

I think you're right about the Charger rebate not happening w/ the Chally. The reason they have this is it reflects their old model of produce tons and then try to sell. I think they are going to get closer inventory to demand model like Toyota and you won't see this push....also, you know the Challenger is creating mayhem for them from a standpoint of who, now, wants a performance four door when the coupe is en route?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 AM

i hear the charger redesign wont happen until 2010 i wonder if they would offer a 2 dr charger in this model in 08's or 09's
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Being that this whole subject started off with pricing, I figured that it would only be fitting to take it back to the beginning even if it is posted some where else. Here it is, for the SRT-8 anyway, finally an official price. Dodge Challenger SRT8 available for $37,995. Now one person brought up that it's cheaper then the Charger, my question is, does this include the gas guzzler tax?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Tax is what you pay the government right? I wouldn't think this is included in what Chrysler expects for compensation for the vehicle.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 PM

how much will the gas guzzler tax be 2 grand?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM

no...

ORIGINAL: Axel

Being that this whole subject started off with pricing, I figured that it would only be fitting to take it back to the beginning even if it is posted some where else. Here it is, for the SRT-8 anyway, finally an official price. Dodge Challenger SRT8 available for $37,995. Now one person brought up that it's cheaper then the Charger, my question is, does this include the gas guzzler tax?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM

The Gas Guzzler Tax is a Federal excise tax applied to the domestic sale of new vehicles that don't meet certain fuel economy standards. It was enacted as part of the Energy Tax Act of 1978, reaching current levels by 1988. On its surface, the Tax is simple. Behind that simplicity, though, lies a maze of formulas and numbers, some of which are of particular interest to SUV buyers.
Combined Fuel Economy

The Gas Guzzler Tax is based on combined fuel economy, which is based on a 55%/45% highway/city fuel economy estimate from the Environmental Protection Agency test.

How Much is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

Vehicles that get at least 22.5 mpg (combined) don't have to pay the Gas Guzzler Tax. The Tax rate goes from $1,000 for vehicles that get at least 21.5 mpg (combined), but less than 22.5 mpg (combined) all the way up to $7,700 for vehicles that get less than 12.5 mpg (combined).

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

how much will the gas guzzler tax be 2 grand?

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?