Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Just in case anyone wanted to know, the gas guzzling tax on the auto Charger 6.1L is $2,163. If the Challenger is the same then this car will be the exact same price as the Charger right down to the V6 by the looks of things.

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM

the challenger will cost more due to the markup the dealers will impose on the car
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM

I was talking the suggested MSRP with the gas guzzling tax. So after the hype dies, the price should be the same.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:45 AM

On the subject of the Gas Guzzler tax...

Why is it that when I go to Dodge.com's "Build a Charger" site and price an SRT8 it adds the $2100 charge, but when I build a Daytona 5.7 it doesn't add anything? According to the formula mentioned by Paladin earlier and confirmed here there should be a $1300 charge for the 5.7. I guess we all assume the Tax to be the same for the Challenger with the corresponding engine. I'm just wondering if Dodge "forgot" to mention the GGT on the Charger 5.7.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5.7 Hemi, with MDS, does not warrant the gas guzzler tax.

For an explanation, see:

For those of use buying a 6.1 L Hemi, a $2,100 "gas guzzler" (Federal) tax will be added to the sticker price of all SRTs (not 5.7 L R/Ts). This is because of the poorer mileage (i.e., less than 19.5 mpg city/highway).

The following explains how the tax is calculated:

The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS.

The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).

GAS GUZZLER TAX
Unadjusted MPG (combined)*
Tax

at least 22.5
No tax

at least 21.5, but less than 22.5

$1000

at least 20.5, but less than 21.5

$1300

at least 19.5, but less than 20.5

$1700

at least 18.5, but less than 19.5

$2100 (6.1 L Hemi)

at least 17.5, but less than 18.5

$2600

at least 16.5, but less than 17.5

$3000

at least 15.5, but less than 16.5

$3700

at least 14.5, but less than 15.5

$4500

at least 13.5, but less than 14.5

$5400

at least 12.5, but less than 13.5

$6400

less than 12.5

$7700

* The combined fuel economy MPG value (55% city, 45% highway) is used to determine tax liability. The MPG value is also adjusted slightly to account for differences in test procedures made since the base year, but it is not adjusted for in-use short fall. The unadjusted combined MPG of a vehicle can be approximated from the city and highway values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide and on this website by the following equation:

(1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15
Since this is an approximate calculation, the actual gas guzzler tax may be off by one tax bracket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Cuda, but I still don't get the math.

According to Dodge.com, the current Charger with 5.7 & MDS gets 15 MPG City and 23 MPG Hwy. So:

(1/(.495/15 + .351/23)) + .15 = 20.87 which is $1300 Tax according to your chart.

When they say "The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide." are they saying that the MPG numbers on the window sticker and the numbers on the Dodge website are not what they use for the calculation?

Sorry to be a pest about this, but a GG Tax might be a deal breaker for me. It's not that $1300 would break me, and the MPG is what it is whether the government labels it a Guzzler or not. But in this day and age of high gas prices it's going to be hard to sell my wife on the idea of a big V8 if it says "Gas Guzzler" right there on it! She's OK with me getting the car. After all, I bought her a Firebird Formula in '93 with a 5.7 in it. But gas was under a dollar a gallon back then.

Well, I've still got a year-and-a-half or so to get used to the idea. Maybe my knee will stop jerking by then!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well just take a black marker and cover the gas guzzler information and maybe she will not notice.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: WhiteHeat
Thanks for the reply, Cuda, but I still don't get the math.

I think the tax rate does not work because the mpg on all cars were adjusted downard this year and the formula was not adjusted. Don't sweat it. Buy that R/T! The 5.7 is Dodge's base V8. It has MDS and does not carry a gas guzzler tax. If you look on the EPA website, you will see that only the 6.1 is listed. See: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420b06009.pdf

Also, you can log onto www.dodge.com and look at the window stickers of any Dodge vehicle on any dealer's lot. Compare a 2008 5.7 Charger R/T (no gas guzzler tax) to a Charger SRT ($2,100 gas guzzler tax). Steve White Dodge has both in stock. Use 28602 zip to log onto his inventory.

One way to avoid the gas guzzler tax on a 6.1 SRT is it buy it used (if you can get one with low mileage that has not been abused).

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM

You're right, Cuda. If the current Charger R/T with 5.7 doesn't carry a GGT then I guess I can rest assured the Challenger won't, either.

I had considered going the used route to avoid the GGT. I even found a steal on a Charger SRT, or some kind of typo. This one is too good to be true. I wonder what's wrong with it?

I guess I can keep the faith until I'm able to buy. Until then I'll just have to live vicariously through all the happy owners on this board!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Well just take a black marker and cover the gas guzzler information and maybe she will not notice.
"Uh, yeah, Honey. They redacted that part of the sticker. Must've been for security reasons."

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?