Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

WHATS REALLY GOING ON WITH DODGE AND THESE CHALLENGERS???

Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHATS REALLY GOING ON WITH DODGE AND THESE CHALLENGERS???

ORIGINAL: 73Cuda340

Has anyone taken a look at all the comments in RLD - those folks are gett'in down right U-gly. If I were Dodge, I would do two things. 1. Make a formal statement (come clean and address the main concern of the limited edition run cars). and 2. Talk candidly with all those who purchased the 2008 limited run vehicles and find out if they would be just as happy if their car were titled 2009 but hold authenticity of being part of the 2008 limited run.
And give up all the free publicity... I'd say not a chance...
Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM

mopar2ya - meaning 8^) even bad publicity is "good"?! hehehe I don't know if I would want the kind of affection the RLD subscribers are dishing out. If I were the Dodge, I would come down from my throne and talk to the people. I think Dodge needs to say something.

On a similar note, I had a long conversation with my cuz today. I think he had a long day on a plane or the road. So while he was still conscious, I ask him what he thought were leading to the delays in the Challenger. He mentioned there has been a number of little inconveniences (dissappointments) leading to the delays. One thing of note was a comment about some (number? of) suppliers that may not have been able to deliver required parts either due to cost, timing, or bankrupcy. He said it is becoming more common that x-tier suppliers are folding up faster than others can be found, or unable to meet shortened time schedules and/or at specific cost points (leading to negotiation and hence delay). What really is difficult is when parts are just plain wrong - not that it happens often, but it can happen. I guess everyone has a bad day once in a while.

What I found most interesting about the whole conversation was the fact he did not think Chrysler would turn a profit on the Challenger. Isn't it odd? To think a car company would willing make a car knowing they may not turn a profit on it? What would compel a company to do that? He said - ethusiasts, you and me. Wow - just to capture a little mind share, in "hopes" it will draw more people into the show room. However, with each loss, they do less, which is why you see so many common pieces on the Challenger (sic Charger interior). Business is still business. So his mood rubbed off a little =
One thing came to me immediately, - that I was acting foolishly in ordering a '09 Challenger so quickly. I should have waited, - waited for the prices to fall as they inevitably will. Foolish because I settled rather than held to my ideal. Foolish because an SRT8 with these rising fuel prices are going to impact me more than I may be currently thinking.

Then he said something a little consoling, the SRT8 does not get all that much less fuel economy than the R/T. Having had many SRT8's and R/Ts, he noted the MDS on the 5.7 litre does not really come into play much. Usually only when coasting or "cruising" on a highway (and physics [motor power versus drag] plays a role in keeping the car at a constant pace and that means having to put out some ponies, so the MDS may not kick on at all.) All in all, he said in his experience he thought the 5.7 did roughly 21 and the SRT8's did roughly 19+ yet one gets bagged with a gas guzzler tax and the other doesn't - go figure.

I sure hope the Challenger starts popping off the line. We need some high enjoyment energy infusion to offset all the bad news we are hearing lately about rising fuel...and if only Dodge would say something, and only, and only....
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 73Cuda340
I sure hope the Challenger starts popping off the line. We need some high enjoyment energy infusion to offset all the bad news we are hearing lately about rising fuel...and if only Dodge would say something, and only, and only....
Thanks for sharing. And the "high enjoyment energy infusion" as you put it... it'll come...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe that a company as sharp as Cerberus will not make a profit on the Challenger. Its world-wide companies generate over $100 billion in annual revenues. (Did you know that it also holds ownership in GM)?

It acquired Chrysler because it saw it as an undervalued company that could have long-term success and value creation.

Just think of some of the cost saving moves that Cerberus has taken:

*The Challenger is being built at Brampton with flex manufacturing.
*The Challenger uses existing Charger parts (e.g., frame and interior).
*The Challenger uses existing engines.
*Minimal advertising.
*Executive shake-up. (Jim Press hired from Toyota).
*Signed 3-year contract with CAW.
*Trimed down the corporation.
*Reduced dealer inventories.
*Established bold and different direction than Daimler.
*Eliminated most employee overtime.
*etc.

Most importantly, in regard to the Challenger, they launched it with the least expensive manufacturing startup in Chrysler's history. The car went from drawing board to showroom in 21 months and it cost just $151 million to set up the factory to build it. That’s the least the automaker has ever spent to launch a single vehicle.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Cuda340 - I do not disagree. Don't shoot the messenger. I was just relating what I heard. I don't work for Chrysler. I can tell you what I heard from someone who does. Maybe I heard it wrong, but I doubt it.

Oh one thing I found humorous - anyone want a good deal on crossfires? Seems this 40K plus car is alienated now that mother Benz is gone. There are still some left overs sitting somewhere waiting to be sold. My cuz told me he could get them for low 20's. I told him - No thanks, I'm good.
Then he says, yeah, if the engine ever blows on them it would cost near the price of the car to replace. So I would want this car, be-c-a-u-s-e?? 8^)
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

Most importantly, in regard to the Challenger, they launched it with the least expensive manufacturing startup in Chrysler's history. The car went from drawing board to showroom in 21 months and it cost just $151 million to set up the factory to build it. That’s the least the automaker has ever spent to launch a single vehicle.
I'm not sure about anyone else... but I have yet to see one in a showroom...