Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Why folks want to purchase a challenger

Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why folks want to purchase a challenger

I want something that looks like a classic muscle car, accelerates like one, but handles like the new cars, gets better fuel mileage, starts and runs well when I turn the ignition key, and has a few of the amenities that the new ones have. I'd rather be driving the car more than working on it. Everyone reaches their threshold for nostalgia - when it becomes more of a nuisance to maintain the classics than the satisfaction you get from it. I don't have the time or inclination for maintaining a classic anymore. I want to drive it more than I want to turn wrenches on it.
I'll be getting everything I want from owning a classic muscle car by buying, driving and enjoying a 2009 Challenger. It reflects my style, my need for performance, and my desire for greater efficiency than the classics. It's a reflection of my personality.
Bootcamp, very well said and I totally agree with everything. I still remember going to college in my Challenger during the week but would have to take the tools to it on the weekend and have it ready by Sunday night in time for classes on Monday morning. That was not fun.

However, when the warranty runs out our our truck, I wouldn't mind in my spare time putting a wrench to it for looks and performance but only when I do not have to depend on it as a daily driver. I do not always have the time or tools to do the really cool stuff and maybe I can have somebody else do that stuff.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: kramtrah

Bootcamp sure will have a beautiful driveway with his and her machines! Nice
Thanks, Bud. Hopefully, this autumn the driveway will be "completed".
My wife's Charger has been a terriffic machine. She loves it. It's alomst two years old and only has 15K on it. Gets 25.4 mpg highway. Same car as the Challenger - except it has 4 doors (car doesn't know that though) and a different shape. It's never been back to the dealer for anything.
They do excellent work in Brampton!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:51 PM

I've been waiting for a mid-size 2-door sports car for a while now.

I owned a Monte Carlo SS that I heavily modified -- but I'd rather not spend my time tweaking something out when I can get it from the Factory with a nice warranty on it. I don't think I ever want to go through the nightmare of trying major tweaks and keeping the computer controlled emissions system happy again.

I want something that handles corners, can accelerate hard and can stop just as well. You have to do a lot of work on older cars to get that kind of performance -- especially in the suspension and braking systems. If (and when) I go fast, I want to have a measure of control of what I'm doing.

I always was a fan of the older Dodge / Plymouth cars and the wonderful motors they had. My father owns a van with a 440 in it and I can attest to how wonderful that motor sounded when you lit it up (and it's still running after 30 years). My next door neighbor was a race car mechanic (when I was growing up) and I got to hear some of the stories of Richard Petty and some of the legends of the '60s.

I had about given up hope and was ready to cave in and either get a Charger or a Mustang, which neither suited exactly what I was looking for when the Challenger concept came along. So I've been waiting and I'll continue to wait for the 2009 model so I can get the options I want.

Well, I thought I'd share why I'm waiting for the Challenger...
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 AM

Why would I ever dream of owning the "new" Challenger? For starters, the looks. As the main course, the power and handling. And for desert..... well, I think me and my wife have found a new bonding element to our lives
Old 01-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Banned

For me, I've always been a little bit of a Mopar fan, without even realizing it. I saw an E-Body 'Cuda 7 or 8 years ago, and absolutely loved it. I also was quite partial to the well-known Dodge Ram pickups. I was exposed to the E-body Challenger a couple years ago, and wow, that is a beautiful car. But at 18, I was born too late to enjoy them when they were new. When I saw the new one, I really wanted it. It'll be awhile before I can even consider getting one, but I would love to own it. Can't wait.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 AM

I want a Challenger because it is a 2 door, rear wheel drive, Hemi V8 powered Mopar that is affordable. And it looks great, too.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 AM

For me, I want something more reliable to drive. I love my 70 'Cuda 440+6, but you really have to work on an old Mopar to keep it in tune, especially a multi-carburated Mopar. Also, if something happened to my new Challenger and it was totalled, I could buy another one. It would be nearly impossible to find another 70 'Cuda like mine. I guess it's like the designers originally stated. They wanted the new Challenger to incorporate all of the good points that we remember from the original Challenger and take out all of the bad.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 AM

yea exactly when was the last time chrysler made a 2dr rwd V8 car that people could afford you have to go back 30 years
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM

I'm in to it for a number of reasons actually. Like most of us here, it's probably difficult to pinpoint any one, specific reason. Top of my list has to be the stare-at-me-styling and the performance to match! The Challenger has been coming in and out of my dreams at night since about January 2006 when I first heard about its debut at the NAIAS in D-Town. Also, I've never owned and/or driven a MOPAR and have always been curious. They apparently are/were all the rage "back in the day" and continue to be today. Now I actually have the opportunity to sample some real MOPAR muscle for myself! SUH-WEEEET!

Quite honestly, having owned two Mustang GTs (1999 & 2005) and two Explorers and a Taurus SHO, I could use a change of pace from Blue Oval. However, I can't even fathom buying a used Vette or a Camaro at this time. It would be like going out and buying a Yankees hat! For any New Englander, you know what I'm talkin' about right now. Who knows though - maybe when the all-new Camaro comes out in early `09 I'll consider it, but for right now my mind and my heart are already made up on the Challenger.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM

I want one pretty much on looks alone. Any of the engines they could put in would make me happy, be that a 250hp V6 or a V8. Either way it's a step up from the boring 126hp car I drive now. It'll be my second dodge. . . my first car was a 95 intrepid.

imo the challenger is the best looking car I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Why folks want to purchase a challenger