Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi ?about license plate on front of car

Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hi ?about license plate on front of car

Nice and easy fix using 18 inch zip ties and stock front plate bracket....
Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 AM

OOPS!! PIc attached.....
Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 PM

To each their own, Roswell and I'd never be one to judge. I just like to recognize differences of opinion because that's what makes the world go round for me. I can really appreciate you for having the opinions that you do. I am always amazed by the car collectors who go for the 67 notch-back Mustang with a straight six. But they love that car and are preserving what the average man drove.

The SRT8 cost me the most of any car I've ever purchased but only by a small margin. Despite the economy, me and mine aren't doing too badly and it just seems that what you're willing to pay for this, that and the other just sort of creeps up from year to year. That being said, modern V8s make the old school stuff seem pathetic, to me. The suspensions and chassis may lessen the harshness transmitted to the driver and it "feels" less potent but the new age stuff is far more drivable and usable and more powerful per cubic inch. I know a local tuner who gets upwards of 2000 HP out of modern engines. Old school HEMIs, Chevy 409/427, 427 Cammers and BOSS 429 were great top end mills but sucked monkey butt at normal revs. The Freaky Cams made them horrible to drive around town and the hoods were alway up. Now I can have a 427 SMALL BLOCK that revs quick and builds HP and torque clear through the rev limiter all dau long. That would have been Black magic Voodoo back in the day.

I simply can't stand automatic trannies but that's just me. I currently own a number of cars, trucks and motorcycles and every last one of them has a clutch and gears . On the rare ocassion I give in to the Red Mist and take someone on, I have seldom found anyone who can out run my slap shifting abilities. Not that I'm that great (I am) but I usually pick on suckers driving clapped out Hondas . Man there's just something about driving a stick that makes me smile. Its like me and the car are working together. Plus automatics are just a pain when they go bad. In 30 years of driving sticks I haven't had to have work done on a manual tranny or ever change a single clutch. Not one. Ever automatic my dad owned ended up having to have the tranny worked on at some point.

Anyway, I respectfully honor your right to like whatever you like...but don't get too upset if I don't fully understand your particular form of madness. Lord knows you're going to think I'm strange as you get to know me better.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM

I'd like to test you and your manual driving abilities. Maybe one day.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM

I too live in state that requires a front plate. I've been driving my Mustang with no front plate since I got the car in January 2006. Been pulled over 3 times (two speeding warnings and one speeding ticket) and never got any hassle for not having the plate on the front.

I have not put the front plate on the Challenger either and I do not intend to.

Fortuneately, for the Mustang, there is relatively easy access to some solid metal for remotely "clamping" or even drilling to attach a "temporary" plate frame if I ever feel the need to mount a front plate on it without drilling into the front bumper. And it would be relatively easy to remove for a car show.

But the Challenter does not seem too have any easy access for the same type of mount, since the front chin spoiler and plastic belly pan are so extensive.

That zip tie method looks intriguing. But I'd like to know if it moves around at all, possibly scratching the paint on the bumper. Or could we add some foam type weather strip to prevent any scratches?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 PM

there is a huge push for 2 plates in Alberta, hope it doesn't fly, funny thing is when you order a vanity plate you get 2 anyways. Now I personally don't like dual plates but when I drop $275 for vanity plates I'd install both, but I would try and see if I could mount it more to the drivers side as I think it would look cool not centered.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM

As you all may or may not no - Texas requires both. I think certain cars look good without the front plate - but the Chally looks FTough with it - especially a vanity plate.... Having said that, I have been pulled over simply for no front plate. I received a lecture, a once over and a paper warning. That was in the black 350Z. Other times, when I was pulled over for speeding, no mention of the lack of a front plate (probably because I was trying so hard to get out of the ticket they sent me on my way thinking good riddance) I do not have on on my TL - just like some women - some can pull off a certain look and others can't.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1998/9FFDC0FEE9F74FE2B969718B96715068.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Just an application of split fuel line hose on the both top and bottom on the the stock plate bracket, and zip ties, not only does the trick, but protects paint........heh heh.......

And. so very removable if the mood so strikes.

I would send a picture, but here in W WA, it is just too cold to take a picture this evening..other than the plate itself