Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

problem with frozen window

Old 01-24-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with frozen window

GOOD MORNING GUYS. I JUST BOUGHT MY WIFE AN SE LAST WEEK ,WE HAD NOT HAD IT BUT A COUPLE OF DAYS WHEN WE HAD FREEZING RAIN AND SNOW. IT SAT FOR TWO DAYS AND WHEN I WENT TO GET IT CLEANED OF FOR HER TO DRIVE I DISCOVERED THAT THE DRIVERS WINDOW WAS FROZEN. THE DOOR OPENED UP WITH NO PROBLEM BUT IT WOULD NOT CLOSE BACK. IT WAS HITTING ON THE RUBBER AT THE FRONT OF THE WINDOW AND WOULD NOT GO BACK UP IN THE RUBBER. THE WAY THE WINDOW ROLLS UP AND DOWN WHEN YOU OPEN DOOR WOULD NOT WORK. THE WINDOW MOTOR TRIED BUT IT JUST MADE NOISE. TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR WITH HAIR DRYER TO THAW OUT. I TALKED TO DEALER ABOUT IT AND WE ARE GOING TO PUT A REMOTE STARTER ON IT AND HOPE LEAVEING HEAT AND DEFROSTER SET WITH THIS OPTION WILL SOLVE THIS PROBLEM. IF NOT FOLKS FROM WHERE I LIVE UP NORTH ARE GOING TO BE REPLACING RUBBER, GASKETS AND GLASS.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Default RE: problem with frozen window

I've had similar problems a few times with my Challenger R/T. Lubing the seals with silicone did not help. It's the price we pay for frame-less windows and an air-tight seal when driving. 2005 and up Mustangs have the same window drop feature when opening the doors and deal with the same problem of freezing.

I can't even use a remote starter since I have a manual trans
Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 PM

This is yet another example of why I prefer living in sunny South Texas. I know too well what winter is like from living the first half of my life in Iowa.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:13 PM

I am a Challenger Owner-to-be and am a tad concerned with this as I live in Ohio... My brother lives here as well and has an 06 Mustang and does not have a garage. He doesn't really have any issues with this but he has seen some posts on the Mustang forum of Mustang owners complaining of this issue. I wish the windows had frames.... I am guessing this is a cost cutting thing. I think Chrysler got this technology from Mercedes as I have seen on another forum people discussing this issue and someone said a few Mercedes models have had this technology for some years now.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 AM

Technology is a step backward some time. What benefit's most is a pain in the neck for some . I remember when I had a new 71 Challenger R/T . And would open it up on the interstate coming home from work . The window's would jump out to release the air pressure difference at about 140 mph. Glad my new R/T is in a garage. And I'm retired now. I live in Kentucky and we do get ice and snow sometime in the winter. Our 300C sit's outside and has good handles to pull on also.
ORIGINAL: MoparOhio

I am a Challenger Owner-to-be and am a tad concerned with this as I live in Ohio... My brother lives here as well and has an 06 Mustang and does not have a garage. He doesn't really have any issues with this but he has seen some posts on the Mustang forum of Mustang owners complaining of this issue. I wish the windows had frames.... I am guessing this is a cost cutting thing. I think Chrysler got this technology from Mercedes as I have seen on another forum people discussing this issue and someone said a few Mercedes models have had this technology for some years now.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM

the lack of a window frame has its styling benifits but it also has it negatives in certain weather conditions. It used to cause a problem with wind noise and water entry dring heavy rain. The fix for the wind and rain, however, brought up this new frozen window problem.

I for one would rather have the current feature but I think there is some way the manufacturers could have worked around it or at least notified the owners of the possibility.

Next time I expect the weather conditoions that would cause the windows to freeze, I will try rolling the window down just enough so that it won't be a probelm to open and close again while frozen yet still be closed far enough to prevent snow, rain. ice and wind into the car before I get into it.

Sure, garaging it would be a nice solution for overnight parking but there is always a chance for bad weather while parked at the outdoor lot at work or where ever else...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Like RoswellGrey stated, that why a lot of us live in the sun belt...chances of us ever having that problem are very small...However, it is interesting to see how the issue is handled by members...just in case.....as you never know where life will take you.....
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 PM

BTW, remote start won't work under 40 degrees, I have a Jeep Commander too, and that was what they told us after the 3rd trip to the dealership.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Lemmi check, Fairbanks alaska. Negative 30 outside as we speak. (pushes button) Yep the jeep started. Only 70 degrees colder than he told you they dont work at.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 AM

[&:] Man Atlas,I don,t know how you Alaskans keep your sanity.I am a farm boy in southwest Pa.,mear W.VA.,and when it gets down near zero,stuff just does not work,steel gets brittle,and can shatter,so can glass shatter prematurely.I t is a real struggle.How do you A,s deal with it.

Quick Reply: problem with frozen window