Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

RT or SRT? That is the question!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT or SRT? That is the question!

Hi Folks,
I've recently decided to buy the new Challenger. What I thought was a no brainer at first, which was to buy a loader SRT, has now become a question mark. I've been told the SRT won't qualify for any specialy pricing, financing, etc., and in today's times, I'm a little concerned about spending the money the SRT demands. So what are your thoughts on the difference between the two? I know I want a six speed, tires, gears, etc. What am I giving up by getting the loader RT versus the SRT? Performance? Style? Interior? Long term value (like 20 years)? This car will not be a daily driver, but a sunday driver.
Thanks for your insight!
B
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM

Default RE: RT or SRT? That is the question!

PS. What can anyone tell me about the classic RT? Thanks again!
B
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM

NiceRides,
They are all good vehicles (SE, R/T and SRT). I ended up with an R/T by choice. I could have had an 08 SRT and was actually #2 on the waiting list at our dealership once the announcement was made about building them. I would not have minded the SRT 6.1 engine, but I wasn't crazy about the gas mileage or gas-guzzler tax ($). Plus, I decided that I really wanted a white one (Vanishing Point ) and wanted to spec it out to my taste. Yes, I have the 5.7 with MDS, but it is plenty powerful enough (same engine in my truck) and it saved me at least $8000 grand. My R/T literally makes me salivate when I get into it - not just THE GRIN that everyone talks about. Mine is only a warm weather/sunny day driver (in the garage until Spring). Good luck on your choice!

ORIGINAL: NiceRides

Hi Folks,
I've recently decided to buy the new Challenger. What I thought was a no brainer at first, which was to buy a loader SRT, has now become a question mark. I've been told the SRT won't qualify for any specialy pricing, financing, etc., and in today's times, I'm a little concerned about spending the money the SRT demands. So what are your thoughts on the difference between the two? I know I want a six speed, tires, gears, etc. What am I giving up by getting the loader RT versus the SRT? Performance? Style? Interior? Long term value (like 20 years)? This car will not be a daily driver, but a sunday driver.
Thanks for your insight!
B
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was on the fence SRT-8 or R/T. I went with the R/T 6-speed and its been nothing but fun. For the very same reasons you have mentioned in your post. Performance is close in straight line acceleration. But the SRT-8 is better handling and braking. Lower stance and a little stiffer ride. Get the R/T 6-speed and you won't be sorry Mine gets better with each mile added. I hope when you get yours you have time on your hands. You will need it to answer all the questions and just the praises you will get. I'm really kind of a shy person, but you get used to being open when you get this car. A lady asked if she could sit behind the wheel and see how good the eronomics were. I said sure. she thanked me and left it with that So the car is a real conversation piece. Good luck on your choice. Either will be cool.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM

On the RT Classic you'll get the 20" Polished Chome Heritage wheels, functional hood scoops, RT side stripe, scripted fender badge, and B5 Blue color.