Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

5.0L V8 could return in 2010 Mustang

Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.0L V8 could return in 2010 Mustang

i think that alot of these 5.0 rumors are based on the fact that quite a few aftermarket companies are using a 5 liter engine in their mustangs..

ford shot themselves in the foot by putting an OHC engine in the mustang, and its all been downhill from there. pushrods might be out-dated, but look at most of your major racing circuits in the US...all using pushrod engines. look at the LSX series from GM.. it has become "the engine" for GM, and its performance speaks for itself...dodge understands, but ford insists on using OHC..[:'(]
Old 04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.0L V8 could return in 2010 Mustang

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

i think that alot of these 5.0 rumors are based on the fact that quite a few aftermarket companies are using a 5 liter engine in their mustangs..

ford shot themselves in the foot by putting an OHC engine in the mustang, and its all been downhill from there. pushrods might be out-dated, but look at most of your major racing circuits in the US...all using pushrod engines. look at the LSX series from GM.. it has become "the engine" for GM, and its performance speaks for itself...dodge understands, but ford insists on using OHC..[:'(]
That sums up my biggest complaint about the current Mustang. I like a variety of engine types for different cars, such as I think a multi-valve OHC engine is fine in a car that is meant to be practical yet have good performance, or for a premium luxury car, but in my viewpoint a performance car, and especially a pony/muscle car should have a pony/muscle car engine. The thing that I think really speaks about how good pushrods are for performance is the fact that Chrysler has a OHC V8 in their truck line and they won't even use it in their cars. I remember hearing some rumors before the return of the Hemi became well known that Chrysler was going to make more versions of the Powertech engine to replace the pushrod LA/Magnum engines, yet when it became decision time they decided to go ahead and build a pushrod again. Another sign of how good pushrods are in performance and practical use is the fact that GM has decided to use their pushrods in the CTS-V and in their Escalade instead of instead of using a OHC V8. That should tell you something when Cadillac didn't remain with using only OHC engines and has been more successful than Lincoln that has relied on OHC engines since about 96 (though Lincoln's recent attempts if you can call them attempts to offer some form of performance have been very weak).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts