Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chrysler is Auctioning off 6.1 Liter HEMI Assembly line

Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler is Auctioning off 6.1 Liter HEMI Assembly line

**Maybe Forum Members should consider betting........

Chrysler's figured out how to build the 5.7-liter and 6.1-liter HEMI engines on the same line. Now they're auctioning off the redundant 6.1-liter HEMI assembly line. What would you do with it?

Chrysler is auctioning off an entire 6.1-liter HEMI assembly line in Saltillo, Mexico. Yes, you read that right; the WHOLE assembly line which includes the conveyor; main bearing cap bolt; oil pump; front cover; oil pan bolt; rocker shaft; piston; pin and connecting rod assembly; and a cold test station.

Chrysler spokespeople tell us Chrysler's manufacturing team at the Saltillo Engine Plant were looking at ways to be more efficient and productive. After some research, they determined they have the capability to produce the 5.7-liter engine and the 6.1-liter engine on the same assembly line. As a result, some of the equipment for the original 6.1-liter line was not needed and therefore is now in the process of being put up for auction. So, it's all redundant equipment. Yeah, some of the coolest redundant equipment on Earth!

The auction runs from December 11th through the 16th and is being handled by Hilco Industrial Auctions. We hear if you call now, they may even throw in a second HEMI line for three easy payments of $19.95!

Chrysler also tells us they're not selling any parts of the line that would compromise its technology from improper/illegal production by a competitor. We don't even know if you can still build an engine with the line. But if you could, it begs the question — what would you do with it?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 AM

Default RE: Chrysler is Auctioning off 6.1 Liter HEMI Assembly line

well I think the SE/SXT and R/T guys should all take out loans against their homes/trailers/cars or whatever you live in, buy the plant stick hemi's in the rides and then sell off the plant
Old 12-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if this means the 6.1L will receive some updates that the 5.7L has already received.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-12-2008, 09:34 PM

^^^^^
I sure hope so, I've been saying that for a while now... It needs to happen soon... If they want to stay competitive against the Camaro they have to. The LS3 has Varible Valve timing...or MDS and it's putting down the 425hp... Dodge owes us at least that much more from them... IMO...
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM

The way I read the info/rumor on Allpar.com regarding this 6.1 Hemi production line sale is that the 6.4 Hemi with MDS is coming. I certainly hope that IS the case
Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Just opt for the 7.0L stroker kit for the 6.1L HEMI. 600+ HP then you can add a SC/Turbo and clear 750+HP. I also know a guy who can custom plumb a 4 stage NoS system to push it past 1200HP easy! Oh the Humanity!!

ORIGINAL: Peevan

The way I read the info/rumor on Allpar.com regarding this 6.1 Hemi production line sale is that the 6.4 Hemi with MDS is coming. I certainly hope that IS the case
Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 AM

Who cares about the "mundane" 425 horse 6.1 liter? If you just want to have a little fun on the cheap, then buy the 5.7 for $10G less (R/T vs. SRT). Then hop up the 5.7L a little by reprograming it and throwing on a fresh air intake and some low restriction muffs. That will cost less than a grand. You will be knocking on 400 HP with those mods, which ain't too far off of 425. Add a 6 speed to an R/Tfor more driving excitement.

The real news appears to be that in '10 there might just be a V10 SRT Challenger! Yeah daddy! At the very least a 6.4L will likely be a reality and how tough will it be to bump that incarnation up to 500 HP or more? Probably not very. Think that new Maro is gonna be fast then? GM should know after forty years that there are only so many ways to breath more life into what is essentially a 350 V8, designed in the mid-60s as a low buck V8 for the masses. There answer is bore and stroke the crap out of it and then supercharge it till it pukes.

Now the dark side of the Gen III Hemi is just starting to be tapped boys and girls. I would expect to see some more ponies squeezed out of it before we are all driving electric cars in a few years as daily drivers. Even Chrysler has the edge on the EVs it appears. Even if the electrics prove to outdo the internal combustion engine, there's still nothing like the sound and the fury of a gas-sucking, tire shredding V8 from Detroit! These new Challengers are a blast to drive and be seen in! Mopar to ya!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: demort71
The real news appears to be that in '10 there might just be a V10 SRT Challenger! Yeah daddy! At the very least a 6.4L will likely be a reality and how tough will it be to bump that incarnation up to 500 HP or more? Probably not very. Think that new Maro is gonna be fast then? GM should know after forty years that there are only so many ways to breath more life into what is essentially a 350 V8, designed in the mid-60s as a low buck V8 for the masses. There answer is bore and stroke the crap out of it and then supercharge it till it pukes.
These new Challengers are a blast to drive and be seen in! Mopar to ya!
Don't count on the V10 SRT Challenger in 2010....I can't see it happening...let's just hope there's a Chrysler in 2010!!