Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chrysler reshuffling begins: 4 cars shut down

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler reshuffling begins: 4 cars shut down

Chrysler reshuffling begins: 4 cars shut down

Troubled automaker under new management stops production of Pacifa, Magnum, Crossfire and PT Cruiser Convertible.

November 1 2007: 1:32 PM EDT
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- It wasn't just jobs that Chrysler LLC cut on Thursday. The automaker knocked out some cars as well.

Chrysler announced that it will stop production of four Dodge and Chrysler models: the Dodge Magnum, Chrysler Pacifica, the Chrysler Crossfire and the PT Cruiser Convertible.

The moves come as the troubled automaker, recently acquired by a private equity firm, is embarking on a major reorganization. Chrysler also said Thursday that it would eliminate some shifts from five of its North American assembly plants and cut 8,500 to 10,000 hourly jobs by 2009.

The cancellation of the four models is the first major product move by Chrysler since James Press, formerly Toyota's top American executive, joined the company in September. Press is now in charge of Chrysler's North American product strategy.

The Dodge Magnum, introduced in 2004, is an aggressively styled station wagon available with the company's powerful Hemi V8 engines. It shares its basic engineering with the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 sedans.

The Magnum has been, by far, the slowest-selling of those models. Chrysler will be introducing another model, the Dodge Challenger coupe, on that platform beginning next summer.

In September, Chrysler sold more than 9,000 each of the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, but only about 3,600 Magnums.

The Chrysler Pacifica is a crossover SUV with 3 rows of seats and combines elements of SUV and minivan styling. The Pacifica was one of the first crossovers on the market but has struggled to find buyers in an increasingly competitive market.

Through September, Pacifica sales were down 30 percent compared to the first nine months of 2006. Meanwhile, the segment is hot: Sales of midsized crossover vehicles from all manufacturers rose 73 percent, according to the Power Information Network.

The Pacifica's place in Chrysler's product lineup may be filled by the Dodge Journey, a new three-row crossover the company plans to introduce early next year.

Introduced in 2003, the Crossfire, a two-door sports car built in Germany, is based on the engineering platform of the previous-generation Mercedes-Benz SLK. It was seen as an example of synergy when Chrysler was part of DaimlerChrysler Corp.

In August, Daimler, sold off Chrysler to the private equity group Cerberus Capital Management.

By the end of the 2006 model year, so many Crossfires remained on U.S. dealer lots that Chrysler didn't even import any 2007 Crossfires.

Sales numbers aside, the expense of manufacturing the Crossfire in Europe and shipping it the United States was a major factor in deciding to stop production.

The Crossfire was likely only marginally profitable for Chrysler, said Power Information Network analyst Tom Libby.

While canceling the PT Cruiser Convertible, Chrysler bucked earlier media reports that it would stop PT Cruiser production altogether. The company will still make the PT Cruiser hardtop.

Introduced in 2001, the retro-styled PT Cruiser wagon is classified as a crossover. It sales have dropped significantly in recent years, especially as it has faced competition from the very similar Chevrolet HHR introduced in 2006.

Although it is still the fifth-most popular compact crossover in America, just behind the Chevrolet HHR, its sales are down 27 percent so far this year, according to the Power Information Network.

Still, the PT Cruiser remains popular enough, with 2007 sales expected to top 100,000, that it made sense for the company to keep producing it, said Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau.

The convertible version, which Chrysler is dropping, costs about $4,000 more and represents just 7 percent of PT Cruiser
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler reshuffling begins: 4 cars shut down

I was kind of expecting them to drop the Magnum since the sales were never that strong to begin with, besides what else would they cut in order to make the Challenger? My question is why isn't Chrysler just retiring the old 2.4L in the Pt Cruiser and replacing it with the more competitive World Engine line. With that, they could really spark some interest by dropping in the new SRT-4 (285hp & 265 ft-lbs of tq vs. the current 230hp & 250ft-lbs of tq). That would help to ensure that the normal Pt Cruiser does not turn into an old dog. By offering the better engines it could either regain its star status or better maintain its cash cow status. I'm not sure why the Pacifica failed, it seems like it was a very nice vehicle for its segment. The Crossfire never took off so I welcome their dropping of the last generation SLK. I would further motion that they should discard of the Compass. It doesn't belong in the Jeep line-up. The Commander should be given at least one more chance with a few more interesting powertrains borrowed from the Grand Cherokee namely the 3.0L diesel and the SRT-8 engine. That would help them in the categories of performance image and fuel economy to help the Commander stand out from its competition.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts