Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

College Graduate

Old 12-18-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: College Graduate

I'm gonna break it down for you in a way that noone else has yet to do thus far...I'm gonna hit ya with a bit of real-world reality. Before I do that however, I would like to congratulate on earning your degree. GOOD JOB!

In about 10 years from now you will realize that your best days are clearly behind you! College will be most remembered as the best days of your life. Probably a little too hard to imagine that now being one day after you gradutated, but you'll begin to see the light soon. All those long days and nights of studying and going to classes and writing 20 page case studies on British Air, Fisher Price and Nabisco and all the other crap that we as marketing majors had to endure at the hand's of our Professors, will seem like a friggin cake-walk compared to what lies ahead! Let me break that down for you: Crappy, starting base salary; zero recognition and/or appreciation for all of your hard work; working weekends and still not being able to get caught up; an overly demanding Boss who probabaly knows less then you; corporate politics; hot co-workers sexually harrassing you via email because they know a man with a Challenger is just about as good as it gets (that part sounds fun, but I bet the Wife/girlfriend would disagree!); forgetting to put a cover sheet on your TPS Report and being told eight times by eight different people that you need to ALWAYS make sure the cover sheet goes on the TPS Reports; commuting an hour+ in traffic from your crummy apartment; dry cleaning bills for all those snazzy suits you're gonna need to keep well maintained in order to meet some arbitrary level of professional aesthetics; 60 hour work weeks...I could go on and on. That's basically the first ten years of your professional career in a nutshell. While you're probably ready to jump off a bridge by now...DON'T!!! It gets better....you'll probably get married and bang out a few kids because society's norms dictate that's what we're supposed to do. You might even go thru a divorce or two (depending on the quality of your decision making capabilities)...alimony, palimony, custody issues, court battles, legal fees, etc. Sounds like fun doesn't it? Now you can jump!

And no matter what anybody tells you; no matter how much of this you may choose to dismiss...the real world sucks! Driving a Dodge Challenger will help to make it slightly better. Good luck and go get em out there Slugger!

-Albeeno

Old 12-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Hey, forgot to mention this to you.. The Army is hiring and we provide healthcare on the first day! Along with that you can also start building up your 401k (we call it TSP<Thrift Savings Plan&gt, and a host of other goodies thrown in as well! Heck, if you pick the right job you could drive a HUMVV as well! Mine has AC finally BTW! Plus we give you a weapon on your first day as well!
-Good luck man and take care!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

You forgot to mention the retirement plan! That's the kicker. 20 yrs right? Collect even w/ another Job. In another 20 years, you could retire with two retirement incomes streaming in! Not too shabby!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 AM

Congrats! Now you can join the daily grind with the rest of us. :-)
Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 AM

I still got 4 more years of grade school until i even get in college.

Man, i feel weird.

the only young kid out on this site.(i think)

By the way Great job!

My brothers got 2 more semesters of school.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

hot co-workers sexually harrassing you via email because they know a man with a Challenger is just about as good as it gets

ROFL! [sm=kissykissy.gif].
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM

"you'll get some leg tonight for sure!"-band: Van Halen, Song: Panama
Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

One break....coming up! VH

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM

"tell us how you do!"
Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Don't let Albeeno get you down. It's not all sour. You'll have real freedom, a real paycheck, and a chance to control your destiny. My advice is don't be too hung up on getting the perfect job with the perfect company right away. Focus on working hard, getting useful experience and making the connections to line up the next job. The days of 40 years with the same company are long gone. Expect to work for 5-10 employers over a career. And don't knock any girl up until you're really ready. P.S. the pill doesn't always work. I have a 20 year old daughter in college as proof of that!!!

And the military is looking for guys like you to become junior officers. I spent 10 years in the Navy as an officer after getting my BS in Marketing. Would have done 20 if I hadn't gotten in a little trouble. Got to see 17 different countries from Australia, to Singapore, to Japan, to Bahrain as well as some dumps you'd never return to given the choice.