Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

How potentially embarrassing is this?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How potentially embarrassing is this?

Let's hope this is either a nasty rumor or it gets resolved quickly...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=azJvcOo_yEsk
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 AM

Default RE: How potentially embarrassing is this?

They are going to strike themselves right into the unemployment line..
Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Man, everyone is going on strike. The hollywood writers are going to go on strike. They won't put themselves out of a job, but all the production people and post production people will be out of work, and they have no say. That means my wife will be out of a job.

Writers are being greedy, wanting residuals even when not making a profit. Also what this will mean is most likely the producers will cave, the writers will get more money, and so they will have to cut costs elsewhere, that means they will outsource to Canada and other countries more often, therefore all the production and post production people will lose their jobs.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

Man, everyone is going on strike. The hollywood writers are going to go on strike. They won't put themselves out of a job, but all the production people and post production people will be out of work, and they have no say. That means my wife will be out of a job.

Writers are being greedy, wanting residuals even when not making a profit. Also what this will mean is most likely the producers will cave, the writers will get more money, and so they will have to cut costs elsewhere, that means they will outsource to Canada and other countries more often, therefore all the production and post production people will lose their jobs.

Writers are going on strike? Why do they even have the power to even do that? Most of the writing anymore is so terrible and crappy using worn out jokes that weren't even funny the first time. I'd be afraid of losing my job if I were a writer. There are more humorous things done by nobodies on the Internet than the slop on TV and movies these days. Sorry to hear about the troubles your wife will be going through. If I was incharge, I would outsource the writing maybe a pile of nonsense will make more sense then the stuff my make-up nowdays.

I agree with Paladin, they are going to strike themselves into the unemployment line. If I were incharge I would try to scare the pants off of the mob (excuse me "union") leg breakers by threatening to outsource if they don't start being more reasonable.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Isn't that what GM has done, They are going to close 3 facilities by 2010 and outsource it.

With the writers union, they are also trying to say the "writers" for the reality shows need to become union. [:'(]
Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

We've been without a contract where I work for over 6 months now. Negotiations are slow, limited in scope, and by law, we can't strike. Typically, we go without a contract for 15 months (on average) during "negotiations" every four years when our contracts expire.
Unlike the UAW and several other Unions I can readily think of, our Union doesn't represent "well/over paid workers". We probably couldn't afford to strike even if we weren't subject to legal/punitive measures if we did so. Being government employees, that's a good thing for the public, but very bad for negotiations in earnest on our behalf. If we COULD strike, we'd be capable of bringing the entire State of New York to a literal standstill. No one would be able to get to work, period.

When the average UAW worker is making three to four times my wage, it's hard for me to feel any pity on them when they can't reach an agreement with management - especially when their companies are LOSING MONEY and they don't want to help shoulder the load. Apparently, they're incapable of thinking about the future of their company. They want what they feel they deserve.......but when the company goes under because the UAW has been unwilling to give back "realistically" reasonable concessions, they'll have NOTHING - there will BE NO COMPANY to extract their exorbitant incomes from. THEN, what will they do?
My co-workers and I have become accustomed to doing more with less. We have dated/failing equipment, limited material, and a continually reducing work force. We can't strike for better wages, conditions, pensions, medical care....... and the UAW thinks we can continue to pay more for the products their members make.
Something's gotta give. Let 'em strike. You KNOW there will be someone willing to do the job for 75% of what the UAW pays NOW! They're called "foreign competitors".

Unions were a necessary evil at the turn of the 20th century. Now that OSHA and strict labor law enforcement exist, the Unions are an idea whose time has passed. I'm a Union member, and that's how I feel.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BootCamp I fully agree. "Unions were a necessary evil at the turn of the 20th century. Now that OSHA and strict labor law enforcement exist, the Unions are an idea whose time has passed. I'm a Union member, and that's how I feel. " Their time has come, lets see if they can accept good logic and be honest with themselves. They are overpaid and out performed by their Non-union counter parts at Toyota in Tenn. If a strike is what they want, I'd like to know what it is they are seeking to improve on? I've had my fill of the unions in this country (UAW) and their strong arm tactics. They can lick the chrome off my Challengers bumper for all I care. Strike yourself right out of a job, boys and girls. I've waited 30 years for the 2008 Challenger and guess what... I can wait alot longer. I'm sorry guys but this is just wrong. I want the Challenger out as badly as anyone, but theres principle to stand on here. To all you UAW Chrysler workers, take a hard look at what you do and ask yourself... am I worth what I am paid now? And look at what others do for a lot less and put more on the line. Police officer comes to mind. Fireman comes to mind. I could go on and on. But I think they see what I mean. GET REAL!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Default RE: How potentially embarrassing is this?UPDATE

The Chrysler employees walked out and went on strike this morning

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21218645/

Read some of the discussions, I would say the majority have no sympathy for the UAW.

Then you have the few that stick up for them, but have no credible facts, just the basic arguement, "Oh so you don't get medical, so we(the union workers) have to suffer".
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 AM

Well I guess that Canada will be next. Yep, my baby is to be created in Brampton Ont. and the news suggests that one of the factories will be out today aswell.
I hope the statement of it being a short hickup is true.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Game back on!......for now.........

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300977,00.html