Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

OK..... IT'S SLOW AROUND HERE........

Old 02-10-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK..... IT'S SLOW AROUND HERE........

LET'S SPEED THINGS UP! Let's share some high speed driving stories. Not racing but driving stories. NO Bull$hit just facts! I know what an irresponsible thing it is but I think everyone here has at least had ONE momentary lapse of judgement where we just said "To hell with it!" and just stretched our right leg and left it there. Here goes: There is a local and lightly policed area of interstate highway of about 30 miles in length between S- town and D-town (I won't advertise it) One night back in November coming out of S-town on the way to D-town with the cruise set on 75 mph I'm blown in the weeds but a BMW 5 series sedan. Then WHOOSH a Mercedes I think it was a 400 something 2 door flies by. I'm thinking wow! about this point. And then a 2 door Cutlass 90's model goes wizzing by and then a 2000's Grand Prix SE sedan. Well I don't Know what else to say besides I decided at that point I was not going to be left out of the fun today! I caught up to them at about 100 mph and the sign on the right said 23 miles to D-town! The wifes Neon was about to stretch it's legs! For the next 23 miles it was a cat and mouse game of who wants to get ticketed first with speeds only dropping below 100 mph on one occasion when the 5 series boxed the Mercedes behind slower traffic. At that point the Driver of the Mercedes pulled out after I went by in the Neon and asserted his authority shall we say. Truly impressive acceleration is all I can say as I watched that car LEAP past all involved to the front of the pack never to relinquish the lead again! Also at that point Cutlass decided he had had enough and dropped out of the fray! About 5 miles later Grand Prix decided he wouldn't go for the grand prize after all! That left the 5 series, the big Merc and the little Neon. WELL the little Neon hung on their asses for the duration to D-town! For probably 20 of those 30 miles between S and D-town the Neon was on the limiter-NO BS! I am truly impressed with the little thing and must admit I never enjoyed driving that car before this event took place. I now at least have respect for it and what it is capable of. Not a race car but a damned sweet running car. Hell the next week I even ordered a stainless axle back exhaust with dual tips as it's reward for a job well done! And the wife likes the shiney pipes! snicker, snicker!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default RE: OK..... IT'S SLOW AROUND HERE........

hmmm...i dont know what to pick...

last time that i went home to visit without amanda, i went to the track with the RT, my dad in the bimmer, and a friend of mine in his juiced sebring...they had a good night,i had a crappy night, but on the way home, by buddy went the other direction, and my dad and i began our roughly 1.5-2 hour drive home. there is a ton of roadwork on the highway between the track and home, so we took the middle of nowhere country roads...at first it was a leisurely drive, but he picked up the pace a bit, and i countered..riding his bumper. we gradually picked up speed to the point where i saw the bimmer jerk as he downshifted, and i followed suit again...we blew through these desolate back roads sliding around turns and blasting down long straights...at one point, i got the jump on him coming out of a series of turns onto a straight and passed him..and a while later, he returned the favor...

we made the 1.5 hour trip in right around an hour...and by the time we got to 'civilization' to stop and eat, the brakes of both cars were smoking hot...

since we got the stratus and the bimmer, anytime my dad and i go anywhere together, in seperate cars, it turns into a similar scenario...hes 68 years old, and to this day, he is still one of the few drivers who i feel can plain outdrive me in an evenly matched car...whether its go karts, or going head to head at the track, we are very evenly matched, although my reaction time is a bit better...

another time that stands out..i was coming home from hockey late one night..around 12.30 or 1am...and im on an empty stretch of the interstate, and i see a black, low riding car coming around the cloverleaf, which i recognize to be a viper...i thought to myself.."if im going fast enough, i think that i can get away from him!"..so i pull into 3rd gear, and give the little RT all shes got...getting up to around 140...i saw his headlights in my right mirror, and realized he was coming, in a hurry...his headlights moved from my right mirror, to my rear view...and before i could follow his movement into my left mirror he went SCREAMING past me...at 140+mph, it literally felt like i was parked...and he was out of site within a matter of seconds. i slowed back down to cruising speed...and a short time later i approached a rest stop, and he was pulled over along the outside of the rest stop, under a light..so i pulled in to check if something was wrong...i pulled up behind him and shut my car off, giving it a good hard rev first, which he returned (much louder). i got out and walked toward his car and the drivers door swung open and...

i see the legs of a metal walker come out, followed by knee high socks and plaid shorts...all being worn by a VERY old man. full custom interior including the gauges and a sound system, complete tune by hennessey, exhaust, intake..the works. he wouldnt say how old he was, but he told me that his wife of "forever" would never let him buy a sports car...when she passed, to mourn her loss, instead of a new black suit for the funeral, he bought himself a black viper...then he began modding! he said that it was the fastest that he had ever gotten it, and he got off it when he saw a "2" pop up as th first number on the digital speedometer...i talked to that old guy for about a half hour on the side of the highway as he ran down what he had done, and he was very interested in my little stratus...haha!
Old 02-10-2006, 02:21 PM

And who says the elderly (no offense to your dad) can't drive! The guy with the Viper, well that's just hillarious! Great stories man. Hey! Who else wants to share? Your secrets are safe with us!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

twice now my dad and i have gone head to head on the drag strip..the first time was at a national event...he was in the RT, i was in the mirada, so there wasnt much competition...and the last time, he was in the RT, and i was in the bimmer, and he stomped me...as i got over anxious on the line and dumped the clutch too hard and up in smoke she went...
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 PM

ok i got a story for y'all, relates to my car tho. my boss had just bought the new lexus is430. so after him and i talking smack to eachother for months we decided to settle it and take it to the track. after a 1 hour drive we took it to moroso (drag strip down here in fla.) on the way there we opened up our cars and i figured he didnt have anything on me. when we got to the track all he kept doing was persistant 13'6's! i was amazed! all i got out of it was 14'1 :-/
Old 02-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Most interesting story I have is with my previous car, I was running late for school because I overslept. I drove about 95 mph in a 55 mph zone. The roads were not flat, the dash board was shaking, and I was having trouble keeping the handling the car at that speed since the steering was loose. I'm sure I wouldn't be nervous about driving my Intrepid at that speed since it handles higher speeds much better.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

what was the previous car?

and 14.1 isnt bad for a Z car...its a manual, right?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

what was the previous car?

and 14.1 isnt bad for a Z car...its a manual, right?
I don't think thats a bad time either... did you have mods with your engine?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:01 PM

nope, 14.1 is a Z with no mods what-so-ever and no, its not a manual... its an automatic ! ha!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:42 PM

one time i went 90 in my saturn

._.

Quick Reply: OK..... IT'S SLOW AROUND HERE........