Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Pimp My Ride!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pimp My Ride!

Did you ever watch the MTV Pimp My Ride television show?

West Coast Customs and Galpin Auto Sports do awesome work converting the "buckets of bolts" that Xzibit drives in. I often wonder, however, how long these expensively upgraded cars and SUVs survive in the "hood" before being stolen or vandalized.

Do you think many are sold after up to $25k is spent converting them? I think that I saw one on E-Bay.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/pimp_my_rid...5/series.jhtml

Last edited by Cuda340; 08-28-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, they take the biggest "piece" they can find and trick it out. Such a waste because you know it will be trashed in no time by the losers that drive this trash in the first place.

There was another show on that was much better but I can't remember the name of it right now. On this one they would take a car (pretend to steal it) that someone had a long time or had been slowing restoring and finish it for them. I remember one where they took a 69 roadrunner and finished restoring it and put a crate hemi in it. When the guy saw the car he started crying. Great show.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

You're thinking of Overhaulin. And I think for the audience on this forum it would be a better fit. Generally it is some kind of Chip Foose project done to somebody's stalled classic car project. Very good show.

I often wonder how the pimp my ride cars end up. But calling the people chosen "losers" is not fair. They're usually just as excited and grateful as the people on Overhaulin, and they're usually nominated by their friends as someone who is a great person who deserves a better car. Usually there's some kind of sob story about having to drive their dying grandma around or what-have-you. They're usually young and broke though, so I do kind of wonder how well the car is maintained, can they afford to insure it now, etc etc.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Thor, you are right, I shouldn't have used the word "losers". Poor choice of words on my part.
My thoughts are that anyone who drives around with all sorts of trash in their car and cannot take the time to at least keep the inside clean is not going to take care of a new ride, no matter how nice. I'm sure all are grateful and some do take care of it but I'm afraid most will not.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM

The best one was a kid who wanted to go to tech college to learn the trade.
They bought him a new car and customized it but didn't touch his old car. When he came for the unveiling they pulled the cover off and there sat his beater. He was like "Huh?".
Then they gave him the new car and told him to fix it up himself when he was done with school.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by RRUNNER
Thor, you are right, I shouldn't have used the word "losers". Poor choice of words on my part.
My thoughts are that anyone who drives around with all sorts of trash in their car and cannot take the time to at least keep the inside clean is not going to take care of a new ride, no matter how nice. I'm sure all are grateful and some do take care of it but I'm afraid most will not.
That is a fair point regarding the interior mess. It doesn't take any training or tools or money to pick up trash from your car. No true car lover should allow the interior to become a trashcan. Some of them clearly are *not* automotive enthusiasts.