Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

A Special Thank You to Chrysler

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Special Thank You to Chrysler

For those who may have missed it......This is funny...wait, it was my money...maybe it's not so funny after all....

•Chrysler Deletes Blog Post With Anti-Chrysler Comments
By Ray Wert, 2:00 PM on Thu Jan 22 2009

In December, Chrysler's official blog posted this paid-by-Chrysler USA Today ad thanking America. The post received hundreds of negative comments. Today, after links from Jalopnik and Digg, Chrysler's pulled the entire post off their site.
On December 27th, Chrysler's official blog posted a copy of a full-page USA Today ad the company paid for thanking America for receiving a TARP bridge loan from the federal government. The post quickly drew hundreds of anti-Chrysler comments basically telling Chrysler to "go to hell" for spending money on an ad rather than, you know, coming up with a strategy to save itself.
For the last month it appeared as though Chrysler was either ignoring the negative comments or they just didn't notice them. That changed today when a link to the post went live on the-always-good-for-a-laugh Digg and on Jalopnik, bombarding Chrysler's official blog with more traffic than it seemed able to take, causing the entire blog to shut down for an hour.
When the blog came back up, the offending post had mysteriously disappeared — along with the anti-Chrysler comments. The offending USA Today ad however, was still available to hotlink.
So what do we have to say to this? Well, we've decided to create our own one page ad on behalf of the American taxpayers. We'd like to run it in USA Today, except we kind of spent all our money loaning Chrysler the cash needed to keep their owners at Cerberus out of bankruptcy court.
If you would like to see what the special "Thank You" to Chrysler said....check out Jalopnik.com
(To large to post here)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: A Special Thank You to Chrysler

I personally don't find it to be very funny, and I'm not necessarily pleased with the reaction either. I'm not pleased about the whole situation. I believe that it is Cereberus's and Daimler's as the owners responsibility to bail Chrysler out, not the taxpayer, and the responsibility of the UAW to make serious concessions so then we can continue to have the company here and stop exporting the operations. They can thank us by succeeding. I don't feel anymore appreciation through this when I know this money could have been used for proper funding to other things that ARE the responsibility of the Government.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM

These bailouts to Wall St and the auto companies gets me pretty angry.

As a member of the military I do what I'm told, salute smartly and press on flying an aircraft into combat that is over 40 years old...yes 40 years old. Its basically a roll of the dice to see what will go wrong with the plane each and every time I lift off the ground. The technology on the aircraft is so old that the engines can be started by the crew chief outside by a pry bar.

That 700 billion already allocated to the bailout plan and the 25 or so that's going to the automakers and the additional trillion planned could have bought quite a few new planes to replace planes in the Air Force inventory that are 40 or even 50 years old. Maybe we should mandate that people keep their cars for 40 years...then things may change.

Just my $.69 on the matter
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: AF Pilot

These bailouts to Wall St and the auto companies gets me pretty angry.

As a member of the military I do what I'm told, salute smartly and press on flying an aircraft into combat that is over 40 years old...yes 40 years old. Its basically a roll of the dice to see what will go wrong with the plane each and every time I lift off the ground. The technology on the aircraft is so old that the engines can be started by the crew chief outside by a pry bar.

That 700 billion already allocated to the bailout plan and the 25 or so that's going to the automakers and the additional trillion planned could have bought quite a few new planes to replace planes in the Air Force inventory that are 40 or even 50 years old. Maybe we should mandate that people keep their cars for 40 years...then things may change.

Just my $.69 on the matter
I agree 100%. That is what I was talking about proper funding to the other things that ARE the responsibility of the Government. The only thing holding Ford and GM back from fixing their obvious problems were themselves. The thing that really irritates me is seeing that GM continued to go down the path of phasing out their reliable engines with the garbage ones they use today despite the warning signs. Ford knew several of their designs were fundamentally flawed, yet they continued making them instead of abandoning them and replacing them with their better quality designs. I'm more forgiving of Chrysler since they were on the right path before Eaton literally sold them out, yet I believe that the far from bankrupt owners Cerberus and Daimler should be the ones to bail them out (especially Daimler for destroying them).

The banks should never have been bailed out, and frankly many people in Congress and in Fanny and Freddie should go to prison in China where they will not be given luxury treatment like the types of Paris Hilton received for their short stay for their contribution to this disaster.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts