Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Street Racing Ethics ?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Racing Ethics ?

I've already asked 2 people I know personally,and obviously respect thier Ethics and Values or wouldn't have asked,and got two different answers.

If you were cruising down the interstate and another car came up and wanted to race so you both got even and then stomped on it and the other guy crashed,straight line racing by the way,would you stop?I'm sure to most it would depend on the severity of the crash,so I'll explain.

The other night I was on my way home and a Mustang,nice looking but it was dark so I don't know if it was a plain GT or a Cobra,obviously with some mods pulled along side and we started playing.After a few miles of back and forth teasing we lined up.I stomped it first and then he hit it.I don't know if he had nitrous or a supercharger or what,but he broke the tires loose at 70mph and started sliding,at least that's what I'm guessing happened.Luckily I was ahead of him so when he spun out he missed me.I saw the whole thing in my rear view.He backed it into the guardrail,it wasn't a bad hit and nobody else hit him but I was nervous and didn't wanna be around if the cops showed up so I didn't stop.I was sorry for him cuz it looked like a nice car and I'm reasonably sure nothing happened to him.

So my question is should I have stopped,would most of you?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Street Racing Ethics ?

There are alot of factors, time of day, amount of traffic. But I would have stopped.

If it had been the other way around would you expect/wanted the other driver to stop and check on you?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM

If no one was hurt I would have kept going. Why wait for the speeding ticket. The Stang will most likely be sited for the skid marks where he broke free. You want to tell the police why that happened? If it was serious I would stop long enough to make sure everyone was ok.
I bet the guy in the stang would throw you under the bus when he tells his story. No one likes to take blame for crashing... always someone else, or faulty equipment.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Andre pegged it exactly right.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Okay guys I think some of you are missing the point as to why we have laws.

Let's take it a step further, what if he ran into another car and wound up killing a family with children but they are not dead yet.
You don't know how hurt they are.

Would you have stopped then? You bet you would, you don't want to find out that you could have saved somebodies life by helping them out.

That will haunt you if you are any kind of human being.

You could have prevented this to begin with my not racing at all.

I hope you get my point.

Street Racing ethics are mutually exclusive terms.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't be racing on a public interstate.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 PM

The fact is there was some horseplay. Things got to a level that wasnt anticipated. Weve all been there at one point or another... in one situation or another.

Then the unthinkable happens... life does that to us sometimes. Fear and confusion can have a huge impact on how we cope with the situation. Obviously in this incident getting out of there was the first thing that came to mind after assessing that the driver was percieved to be ok. Perception is probably not the most reliable tool to evalute the severity of this type of situation. I think at that point one should really take a good hard look at the big picture and go back and make sure everyone is ok. If they are not then you might just have to buck up and take your licks. If everything is ok then I would say it is probably ok to move on. Afterall... if you were first to roll upon an accident scene in normal circumstances wouldnt you feel a responsability to make sure everyone was ok?

If a situation goes to this level and the result is a crash then regrouping and going back and checking things out is definately the basic responsibilty of anyone nearby... let alone anyone being a party to what escalated matters to this level. You definately should have stopped and checked things out... if you had then you would not likely be here asking the question. You would either be satisfied with the outcome of your follow thru and not feeling the need to ask... or you would be in jail and unable to access the forum to ask.

Wait let me check... maybe they have internet in jail now as a fundamental basic human right...

Sounds like you did the best you could think of considering the circumstances at hand. I for one am a red-blooded American male who too often fails to make the right and proper decision in similar circumstances so I would be a liar and a hypocrite to say I would never race or do anything so foolish it might lead to similar circumstances.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Andre@Edge

If no one was hurt I would have kept going. Why wait for the speeding ticket. The Stang will most likely be sited for the skid marks where he broke free. You want to tell the police why that happened? If it was serious I would stop long enough to make sure everyone was ok.
I bet the guy in the stang would throw you under the bus when he tells his story. No one likes to take blame for crashing... always someone else, or faulty equipment.
Amen.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Well if the Stang did have "faulty equipment" then it was his fault and he'll get the ticket... As to going back and checking the tires on the road I doubt they could prove anything to a "reasonable doubt"...
Plus there cops and only what you say can be held against you in a court of law... right?... Yeah I would of went back and if the guy was that much of a jerk, I would of just lied my ass off and drove away...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:35 PM

In Washington they will ticket for racing...If other dude or witnesses say they were racing your dead.

Quick Reply: Street Racing Ethics ?