Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Why a Hot Rod Station Wagon??

Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why a Hot Rod Station Wagon??

Sorry dude... I can't get the picture of the Griswold's hunting for Wally World in their new Magnum out of my head.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Sorry dude... I can't get the picture of the Griswold's hunting for Wally World in their new Magnum out of my head.
That is why it hasn't worked. Station wagons failed because of their image and as much as I like the Magnum, I can't get the image of a smelly 1985 LTD Crown Vic station wagon out of my head either.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

true...but the family truckster couldnt run 13s with simple mods...if i hada larger family, and i absolutely HAD to have a family vehicle, i would much sooner buy a magnum before i would buy a minivan.

the magnum offers the middle classes family guy the option of having his family vehicle, but also having a vehicle that will keep it close with a mustang GT (pre-05)...and if he has the srt8 variant, he can go after the new GTs, with confidence.

i think that DCX does a fine job of covering pretty much every possible performance niche, shy of a pony car...and that future pony car is why we are all here...now they just need a high performance minivan (which they used to make) and they will be set.

performance truck-ram srt10
performance SUV-srt8 gc
performance station wagon-srt8 magnum
performance sedan-srt8 charger, 300c
performance compact- srt4 caliber (whenever it comes out)

now..we just need the chally.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, if I was referring to the "family truckster," I would have referred to a 1983 LTD Crown Vic station wagon. I have a relative who still owns a 1985 LTD Crown Vic station wagon with over 300,000 miles on it. Every time I see any station wagon, I instantly think of that faded blue, rusty, torn-up, smelly, dirty, uncomfortable, station wagon. Granted the Magnum is much nicer and way, way, way faster, I still have that negative association from the long trips we would take with ten of us cramped in the station wagon (four adults and 6 kids). It was alot more comfortable in our minivan because of the higher roof.

I'd rather have a minivan for the rare occasions where I would have to be a passenger. There are only three vehicles which I don't mind riding in the back seat in. SUVs, Limos, and minivans. They are all comfortable. The front and rear seats of every other type of car is just too cramped for me.

I agree that DCX has done an excellent job of covering just about every niche, its just that I don't think a station wagon will work

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts