Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show

Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show

Here let me help. If you want clean sound you never take speaker outputs and feed them to another amp.

The feature being discussed but not described well is called a preamp output which is the low level signal that is typically fed to the radios's amp but is rerouted
to an external amp (of much better output and quality).

A few years ago you had to pay $300.00 to get a radio with preamp output capability but now you can easily get one for $150.00.

If you want the most flexibility never buy a radio without a preamp output. This feature allows easily adding crossovers, amps, equalizers, etc. to really make it sound good.

I hope that helps.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

well..here is what i know...a friend of mine is big on stereo stuff, and he put the system in the stratus. i have the stock amp driving the tweeters and door/dash speakers, and i have a seperate, much bigger amp, driving the 12s. when we first ran the wiring from the stock head unit to the new amp, nothing happened...i seem to recall it making some sound, but not much. we just took the wiring from the factory decklid speakers, and ran them to the amp, then into the subs. he then cut some wires going into the factory amp, and the now-cut wires go into that box, then back into the amp, then to the subs..

is this a similar situation?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:29 AM

umm. I would say almost? But yet no. Let see if I can explain this without being confusing which I can do.. Why do people replace their factory head unit(HU from here on out)? because it doesn't have the best of sound quality. Now it seems like the newer cars are making the dash harder to be able to replace the HU and have it look good. So people want to keep their stock HU but still would like a better and cleaner sound. So companies are coming out with signal processors. These items, like I said before clean up the audio signal so you get a better sound. So almost like what you described, you cut the wires going to the speakers. You connect those WIRes into the signal processor. Then you take the output wires of the SP and go to your amplifier. But doing it this way, you need to add another amp to drive the speakers to your door/dash and tweaters. But instead of buying a Aftermarket HU, you buy this and get the same results without going away from the stock look of your vehicle.

Here are a few links to what I am speaking of.
If you wanted to keep the stock for looks, and get a better sound, there are equilizers that help.

JL makes a few
Link

Alpine makes one
Link

Rockford Fosgate
Its called the 3Sixty Link

Those can be pricey. I found this one by Audiocontrol that I will use one day probably
Link

Sorry Jeremiah about the thread jack, so I will keep incorporate what I just said to keep this thread on track
I like the look of the dash with the stereo. So if the stereo is not up to par for sound, then I would use the signal processor option, to keep that look. As will I in my mustang.
And that front end looks real nice. HOPEFULLY they will keep this look from concept to production.

Patrick, I hope this helps. If you want I can draw a quick block diagram?[8D]

Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Notice the huge crossmember covering up the rear differential box.

Is that typical on the LX platforms? Do the Chargers, Magnums and 300's also have that crossmember?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/0FA1AC0FB3684806A2E8AD29820155D0.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

here is another shot of that crossmember...

I had a rental charger, but I did not look under it, so im not sure about that being there on the LX cars, but the LX cars are ind. rear suspension, if im not mistaken.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I have heard the LX is a multilink IRS system and the LY platform will be the same but it will be shorter and will support a manual transmission.

The IRS will be great for road handling and is my personal preference.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Yes, I have heard the LX is a multilink IRS system and the LY platform will be the same but it will be shorter and will support a manual transmission.

The IRS will be great for road handling and is my personal preference.
true, but it is bad for launching.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

I totally agree.....but I am a Road Runner not a Drag Racer.

Sounds like a good name for a Post.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

a new member at DF who owns a new charger RT was kind enough to take a picture of the undercarriage of his car for comparison to the challenger..if you look closely, it bares a striking resemblance to the challenger, except the stuff under his charger is painted a different color.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4/A363D9505BB34324A965343965ABBDE4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

If you look at this axle from the opposite side of the drive shaft side I think this could be the same crossmember.

Any thoughts?

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/4985343D7BB94E2C961803E8BD044CAE.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Comments on what I saw at the Dallas Auto show