Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Concept Charger

Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept Charger

very nice, if it the current charger had another name ( i.e. cornet) most people on this site will not dislike the charger.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joeyr

very nice, if it the current charger had another name ( i.e. cornet) most people on this site will not dislike the charger.
Agreed. I like the Charger sedan in its own way, but I would prefer it to be called the Coronet and make a Charger like that photo chop that Paladin provided. I would probably choose that over a Challenger as well. The Charger is more an icon in my eyes in Dodge's history, but I still love the Challenger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a video of the Challenger concept at the Woodward Dream Cruise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm2Jm7jvthA
Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Let's not besmirch the name of another legendary Dodge. As I've stated previously, it was a TWO-DOOR '68 Coronet R/T 440 Magnum that helped finance my college education -- not to mention my purchase of my '70 Challenger, come to think of it. To me, naming a four-door car after that iconic hardware would be akin to, well, calling a four-door car a Charger. Oh. Yeah. That's been done already.

Also, I read somewhere recently that the Charger was a two-door version of the Coronet. That statement can be summed up in just two letters: B.S.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a nice little history of the '60s version of the Coronet:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-2.shtml
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Let's not besmirch the name of another legendary Dodge. As I've stated previously, it was a TWO-DOOR '68 Coronet R/T 440 Magnum that helped finance my college education -- not to mention my purchase of my '70 Challenger, come to think of it. To me, naming a four-door car after that iconic hardware would be akin to, well, calling a four-door car a Charger. Oh. Yeah. That's been done already.

Also, I read somewhere recently that the Charger was a two-door version of the Coronet. That statement can be summed up in just two letters: B.S.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to a nice little history of the '60s version of the Coronet:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-2.shtml

You are completely right about the two door '68 cornet. Dodge even talks about how great it is on the legacy section on their website. But that does not change the fact that Coronet did have a sedan version nearly every year it was made besides 1968-69. in the 70's the charger kind of took the performance coupe title, until '75 where the coronet had a two door version once again. Personally ( I admit that my previous statement was a little too general) I think that the new charger sedan would have been a tribute to the cornet sedan. As for the coupe version maybe something like the picture that started this thread (obviously both would have to look more like a coronet but the basic concept is there, rwd, big v8, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Coronet

Also The 99 charger concept that alot of the people liked was a 4 door coupe orginally. Check out the pic and look closely.

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/B645407308164B20933290F18823FFE3.jpg[/IMG]

They even say it on their website:

http://www.dodge.com/dodge_life/past...r&type=textNav

Along with the name, we also brought back the heritage that made Charger R/T a legend. This concept car advances four-door style into an entirely new dimension. True to the original muscle car form, Charger R/T, with its low, thrusting hood, has a powerful V8 matched with a five-speed manual transmission that drives the rear wheels. The front grille and lamps look menacing. The body is taut. The rear deck with spoiler, and the fascia with sly-looking taillamps and twin exhaust outlets, all signify a vigorous departure from the past. In true retro form, 1966 meets the millennium. One look at the radio knobs and three-spoke steering wheel will confirm that. The pistol-grip shift lever adds to the feeling.

Throughout this interior past and future, street and racing are balanced. Exposed metal is emphasized -- but the front and rear bucket seats are made of carbon fiber and have red leather accents. Because the Charger R/T is supercharged, the 4.7-liter SOHC, 16-valve, V8 engine has the kind of ferocity that results in 325 horsepower.

But Charger R/T is environmentally gentle -- its Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) fuel produces negligible emissions at the tail pipes.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Actually, Joey, Dodge probably would have been better off to just invent another name for the four-door Charger. Unless it's something like the new Challenger -- which is close to the original version -- recycling nameplates generally does little but sully the reputation of the original car. I've never cared for Chrysler trotting out the 300 name first for a mini-Concorde-looking car and now for what's in effect a car that looks like Germany won the war. They never should have trotted the Challenger name back out for the Mitsubishi cars of '78 to '83 nor should they for the Chargers of '83 to '87.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

RoswellGrey, with all due respect are you sure that is such a good idea? Look at the names they are coming up with on their new models. The Dodge Nitro, what the heck does a midsized, box, Jeep Liberty-based SUV have anything to do with that name. If this was a compact car with some serious performance, I could see the angle. Dodge Caliber, what does Caliber have to do with a compact station wagon? The problem is that picking a name for a modern muscle car in either sedan or coupe version is very difficult. We are in an era where high tech sounding names is the norm for newer models and coming up with a new name simply isn't that easy. The purpose of the Charger sedan was to appeal to the muscle car audience which need the car to fulfill the needs of a family. If you come up with a new name, it may not catch the attention of the muscle car audience even if it sounds tough and powerful because they do not recognize it.

There would be absolutely no insult to the name Coronet as it did have a sedan version and the sales were mostly sedan sales. The formula is very similar. It's RWD, the base engine has 6 fire holes and has more than one powerful V8 option, its a larger muscle sedan, etc.

I do not see what necessarily you are complaining about on the 300 name plate use either. The 300M was a very nice car, okay it didn't have a HEMI V8 and the rating was not 300hp; however, given that the 3.5L produced 250-255 NET hp, it might have matched the 300 GROSS hp that the originals had. The 300M was a modern approach to the market segment that existed in the very late 90s to earily 2000s. Also, if you are going to call it after one of the other LH platform names, please call it a rebadged second generation Eagle Vision as that is exactly what it was. Also what is wrong with the 300C? It does look like the original 300C and many people think it is quite the looker. I agree that it should be a little more exclusive (drop the V6 versions and keep it as a full-luxury car), and they should have called it the 300N to keep in alphabetically order.

I agree that they should not call any rebadged Mitsubishi cars a "Challenger" and the Chargers of the 80s were a poor choice for the naming of those cars, but we can't change history. If we could, we would be able to prevent that stupid merger/buyout from ever happening.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

I kind of like the car name "Interceptor" because it reminds me of the old fast police cars and guided missiles which are so fast you can't get away from them.

Unfortunately, that is too many letter for a license plate, but here is one shot at it.

NTRSPTR
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I kind of like the car name "Interceptor" because it reminds me of the old fast police cars and guided missiles which are so fast you can't get away from them.

Unfortunately, that is too many letter for a license plate, but here is one shot at it.

NTRSPTR
The problems I can see with that are that Ford uses the Interceptor name for their police package the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, and people apparantly don't like having their cars being associated with police crusiers for some strange reason. I personally like the idea of making people nervous when they see my car (One time, one of my old classmates thought my Intrepid was the Sheriff's police crusier for some strange reason; nevertheless, the look on his face was priceless when I exited the car). That is what I have been told at least.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM

In MT, they calimed Mark Fields chose the name over the well known galaxie name. If Dodge had used the Interceptor name instead of the Charger, I think it would have had a nice ring to it. The Interceptor name isn't problem for me either. I wouldnt mind having a car that has a name that sounds like it belongs on a police car or sounds like it should be driven by spys or talented defensive backs

Quick Reply: Concept Charger