Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Concept Charger

Old 08-29-2007, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept Charger

I agree, Joey, Interceptor is a cool name. That's why I've liked the name Avenger, although I liked the original models better than the current crop. Again, though, that has a lot to do with my anti-four-door bias.
I guess the point I've really been trying to make is that I think if a car bears the name of an earlier model, it should be actually descended from it -- ie., today's Mustang is directly descended from the 1964 and a half version. (The notable exceptions to this would be the Challenger, since its appearance and performance intent is based on the original 1970 model, and, of all things, the Volkswagen New Beetle, since its appearance is rather loosely based on Adolf's favorite car. Of course, to the best of my knowledge, "Beetle" actually was a nickname for the original design and it really is the name of the the current model. The jury, as far as I'm concerned still is out on the Camaro). The current Charger has nothing to do with the original car, nor does the Impala, Malibu, GTO, Taurus, Buick Roadmaster of the 1990s, Dodge Hornet concept car, AMC Hornet, etc., etc., etc.
I just wish that the auto companies could show enough originality to think up new names for new cars rather than attempting to capitalize on something that the new cars definitely aren't. Who knows -- the new cars just might earn their own place in automotive history.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

The current mustang is a "direct descended" of the 64 and 1/2 Mustang yet the new Taurus is not. I don't think you can logically make that claim. The current Mustang is on a completely different platform, using completely different engines, different transmissions, much newer technology, etc. The only thing about the new Mustang that is in anyway similar to the original Mustang's is the nameplate and some of the styling. Honestly, the new Taurus has more in common with the Taurus nameplate than the Mustang has with the original. The current V6 is a decendent of the lame 3.0L Duratech first offered in the 1996 Taurus (the era of the catfish styling).

The New Beetle is a disgrace to the traditional Beetle as it is the opposite that the original Beetle stood for (fuel mileage is pathetic, it is an expensive vehicle for what you are getting, and they are unreliable). I will agree with you as far as the Impala and Malibu are concerned. The Impala is nothing other than a Lumina, just renamed since the Lumina was so dull. The purpose of reusing those names is to try to make dull cars appear interesting. The 04-06 GTO would have been fine if the styling was actually that of a GTO and not that of a warmed over styling traded between numerous styling cues from previous Pontiac models.

In my opinion, the new Camaro is not a Camaro as it does not look like one; however, if they would have someone besides a blind person do the styling, I would change my opinion.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

The New Beetle is a disgrace to the traditional Beetle as it ... is an expensive vehicle for what you are getting ...
Careful, RLSH700, next you'll be making the same claim about the new potentially $70,000 Challenger.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

The New Beetle is a disgrace to the traditional Beetle as it ... is an expensive vehicle for what you are getting ...
Careful, RLSH700, next you'll be making the same claim about the new potentially $70,000 Challenger.
RoswellGrey, there is a difference between a car that has a temporary price increase by a dealership, verse making a car who's entire purpose was to be economical in every way a total waste of money. Just an example, what if ten years from now Chrysler would release a compact car called the Omni that got at best 25mpg, cost $40,000, and had reliability that would make a Yugo proud. Besides, you are once again speculating that the price on one of the premium models could be that high at one or two dealerships in the U.S. There is no logical merit in that remark.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Which is why I added this: to my remark.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Anyhow I wouldn't take the Charger as in the photoshop or the '99 concept (although sharp) over the Challenger.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:20 PM

I'd definitely agree with that. They're both cool but not cool enough.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this video of the concet has been posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=489_1189533409
Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 PM

That's one of the many derivations of the Charger concept that had me SO excited years ago. I attached a pic of the main Charger concept from back in the day. Needless to say i was VERY disappointed in the production model Charger, which at first made me very apprehensive to be excited about this new Challenger. Of course now the big reveal day is fast approaching in Feb in Chicago, and so far they have given no indication that they are planning on ruining the Challenger like they did to the Charger. Back then, the market couldn't support the Charger in the concept version, but now with the new Mustang selling like Apple stock and the Baby Boomers kids away to college, the time is right. Dodge is about to either become my favorite company or most reviled. I pray for the former option! Sorry for the rant, but the knife wound from the whole Charger ordeal has never quite healed, and probably never will.
ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Now this car would have gotten all my money but DCX went the other way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9/AF21EDCF17B24DD3AD33E476AB5BE13B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/776/0A2DF2D95ADF445DB82F2BE88B0C0950.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/776/2789D97F093F47B5BFCFDADEEF088501.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Concept Charger