Notices
Sights N Sounds Post your pics, videos, and sound clips here.

Consumer Reports Tests 3 Muscle Cars

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Consumer Reports Tests 3 Muscle Cars

Consumer Reports previewed a comparison between a Challenger R/T, Mustang GT and Camaro. You won't like what they said about the Challenger. See:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/v...1/22211972001/
Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Not to worry. I would agree with them and they are spot on. I think if you are the Dodge fan you have recourse to spend more $$$$s and get the Camaro SS equal... SRT-8. It will have more power and the stiffer ride and better brakes. If you are the Ford guy get the GT-500 with more power and better brakes and stiffer suspension package. If you are a Chevy guy... well they just tested your top of the line SS against the middle of the road cars from the other makers. So despite how you feel about the $$$$s when you go to the street I'm sure you can just look for an R/T or a GT and tell the GT-500 and SRT-8 guys that you don't compare your car to cars that are $$$$s more... even if they are all pony cars. See how that works out for you on the street. Good luck. And lets go ahead and answer the reply right now about the SS being quicker than the SRT-8. How will we ever know? They won't test the like performance with the like performance cars. $$$$ for $$$$. I really want to hear that exchange on the road. LOL
Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm I like both the Challenger and the Camaro and that thing about not testing "like performance" cars well the Camaro beats the SRT8 and at about 10k cheaper Assuming the SRT8 is approx. 44k ish Nothing I hate more than fanboy envy on both the Camaro and the Challenger forums. They are both nice cars, and any given day the srt8 i'm sure could beat the Camaro but you act like the Camaro winning would never happen. Anyways /rant off.
Challenger is a sweet looking car but Camaro hp/$$ is better. Looks though I think Challenger a bit nicer. Oh and check this link out, Not great times for either car.
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-09...enger-SRT8.htm

Originally Posted by lear4406
Not to worry. I would agree with them and they are spot on. I think if you are the Dodge fan you have recourse to spend more $$$$s and get the Camaro SS equal... SRT-8. It will have more power and the stiffer ride and better brakes. If you are the Ford guy get the GT-500 with more power and better brakes and stiffer suspension package. If you are a Chevy guy... well they just tested your top of the line SS against the middle of the road cars from the other makers. So despite how you feel about the $$$$s when you go to the street I'm sure you can just look for an R/T or a GT and tell the GT-500 and SRT-8 guys that you don't compare your car to cars that are $$$$s more... even if they are all pony cars. See how that works out for you on the street. Good luck. And lets go ahead and answer the reply right now about the SS being quicker than the SRT-8. How will we ever know? They won't test the like performance with the like performance cars. $$$$ for $$$$. I really want to hear that exchange on the road. LOL

Last edited by Mrbowtie26; 05-12-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Not a fanboy... just tired of a one sided test of performance with a lopsided matchup. As far as the vid you showed, the times were terrible and goes to show how much a drivers race it is. On the street with average drivers a tenth will not decide the fate of the race. Now you state that the SRT-8 loses to the Camaro, not always. $10,000 cheaper. Yeah get tired of that too. Just look at E-Bay and see what most SRT-8 Challengers are going for. Then look at what the SS is going for. MSRP to MSRP with like features you are talking $ 4000.00 difference. Is the SS a good value, yes it is and great performance. But I'm complaining about the lopsided test as far as performance. If you go with value then test ride, smoothness, quality,ect. If you are looking at pony car performance... then test performance against performance. GT500 wins hands down. I never once said in my post that the Camaro would not win or would not stand a chance. We have been more than fair with the Camaro on this forum and give it the props it deserves. So stop with the fanboy junk. If you are getting a Camaro then good luck and enjoy the fine ride it will bring you.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 AM

Actually I just quoted that one review as it was the only review that I found regarding the two cars on the same track on the same day etc... If anyone is more of a fanboy I would think it was you from the wording of your original post. I have not decided on a new yet as I kind of like the retro look of the challenger better than the camaro though the camaro is a bit more modern. I may actually get an R/T and put a blower on it to satisfy my go faster needs but anyways I can currently purchase a 2SS camaro at 100 over invoice from a dealer I'd have to drive 4 hrs to see but when i've inquired about the SRT8's iv ebeen shutdown saying i'd be fortunate to find one for msrp so yeah. The Camaro I looked at would cost me 35,223, when a comparable SRT8 priced out at $44,515, so 9,292 to be exact for admittidly comparable performance. Im not too worried about if the handling is better with either car. I think in my opinion that the R/T is the better value of the Challenger line and may purchase that so no, again I am not a fanboy of one more than the other, I just hate when people aren't realistic and spout off things like :

"So despite how you feel about the $$$$s when you go to the street I'm sure you can just look for an R/T or a GT and tell the GT-500 and SRT-8 guys that you don't compare your car to cars that are $$$$s more... even if they are all pony cars. See how that works out for you on the street. Good luck."

Now I do agree that the test is lopsided and it would be more accurate to test all the cars including SRT8 and the GT500 for comparisons, I would like to see that actually.

Originally Posted by lear4406
Not a fanboy... just tired of a one sided test of performance with a lopsided matchup. As far as the vid you showed, the times were terrible and goes to show how much a drivers race it is. On the street with average drivers a tenth will not decide the fate of the race. Now you state that the SRT-8 loses to the Camaro, not always. $10,000 cheaper. Yeah get tired of that too. Just look at E-Bay and see what most SRT-8 Challengers are going for. Then look at what the SS is going for. MSRP to MSRP with like features you are talking $ 4000.00 difference. Is the SS a good value, yes it is and great performance. But I'm complaining about the lopsided test as far as performance. If you go with value then test ride, smoothness, quality,ect. If you are looking at pony car performance... then test performance against performance. GT500 wins hands down. I never once said in my post that the Camaro would not win or would not stand a chance. We have been more than fair with the Camaro on this forum and give it the props it deserves. So stop with the fanboy junk. If you are getting a Camaro then good luck and enjoy the fine ride it will bring you.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 AM

Default Muscle car wars/arguements/fans

"Better" is a subjective word. We all have our own version of better.

To use a worn out phrase: I have friends who are diehard Chevy fans, and even some who are diehard Fordaholics.

Bully for them, bully for me.

All that really counts is we all have a good time enjoying our respective rides and actively deplore the cretins from WA DC systematically ruin the car business in order to satisfy unsatiable interest groups..... Very sad, where are the adults?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM

Right Tommy, buy what you want and will enjoy.

Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. Keep that 70 RR goin'.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 PM

Would you not agree that the SRT-8s handleing, power, and braking is better than the R/T. Would you not also say that the GT-500s handleing, power and braking is better than the GT. So "better" is the proper word. If someone would test these cars SRT-8, GT-500 and SS, then I would say that is a better test of pony car performance. I had just came from the Camaro forums where the Challenger gets its fair share of bashing... and they use these test to indicate normal results. And justify not testing because of price differences. But they will test against a lower rpice Mustang but not a higher priced SRT-8. Right on Tommy... sad, sad set of affairs we are in. I wonder how it will all settle out.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

I was quite shocked in the testing that Motor Trend has done between the three of these cars. Numbers wise, 0-100 and all points in between, the R/T faired a lot better then I thought it would. I figured the SS would blow it out of the water, but for the most part it kept up. R/T had the lead from 0-30, but then things start separating there. It does keep up with the GT though, lagging behind by only a .- of a second. Keeping with the SS, doesn't do to bad until 0-60 mark I believe it was. Sorry, I don't have the magazine in front of me.

It may not sound impressive with the hp this car has, but for something that out weighs both of these cars by 300+ lbs, and with the SS having 50 more hp then the R/T, I think it's pretty impressive. Breaking, the R/T of courise did terrible compared to the others, 30+ feet more then the other two. (note, GT that was tested had the track pack, as did of course the R/T as they were all manual transmissions.) Skid pad was pretty bad to, but both of these can be handed to the overall weight of this beast. Had they made it small and no back seats like the other two, up to 3 inches more then the other two, it could have had more of a chance. Guess they should have build it off of the Caliber or Avenger platforms. Nah.

Overall I was quite impressed considering the SS is suppose to have such a big step up on the R/T and the GT and it didn't seem to be the case, at least not as much as I expected.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah I have seen two test like this where they have used the Camaro SS (top of the line) against Challenger R/T ( middle of the line) and Mustang GT ( middle of the line) Motor Trend then Consumer Report. They call it a performance test and then go on about the SS like it should be even. I too am pleased with the results the R/T put in and the GT. The numbers for the SS were really good. But at the end call the SS the pony car winner when you left 2 out SRT-8 and GT-500 (MT). I took nothing away from the SS, great car and a great price. But do compare it with its peers and I would say that it would at least be a test that was close and the outcome would be a guess. At least with the SRT-8 and SS. I believe the GT-500 is a bit much for this pair in acceleration, but who knows when it comes to braking and skid pads and slalom. Then I get called out as a fan boy for wanting a better test of performance. Oh well what can you do?

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Tests 3 Muscle Cars