Notices
Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

IRS OR SOLID AXLE

Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IRS OR SOLID AXLE

I already have a GTO with IRS, the ride is great but at the track I get wheel hop. It also would be cheaper if they used a solid axle.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the Charger specifications and it would seem they could do the same for the Challenger since both will go to the LY platform:

"The four-wheel independent suspension maintains individual control of each wheel for the ultimate in high-performance handling, a smooth ride, and maximum traction.

* Aluminum short- and long arm (SLA) front suspension for rock-steady cornering and handling control
* Five-link rear suspension bolted to a rubber-mounted steel cradle for a smooth, quiet ride."

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/09A193C1EC8844CDB3B0BD2F9AAC6BF8.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Administrator

i dont want a smooth quiet ride! i want to FEEL the car under me...if i wanted a smooth ride, i would drive the bimmer...
Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM

I'll take the independent because I like to turn corners and I don't plan on frequent drag racing............ahem!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

IRS all about maximizing the largest amount of tire surface on the road in corners or otherwise such a bumps to
provide maximum traction and anything else does it to a lesser degree. Smooth rides is just a fringe benefit.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:26 AM

I need a 1/4 mile queen, & this car would be it!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well if you are serious about a 1/4 mile queen you will want an automatic with a 2-3K rpm stall converter and you will want to change it to a solid axle not only because it will be lighter (assuming you want to win) but because of survivability. That is why Mustang owner with IRS change them to solid axle because overall they are lighter for 1/4 mile drag strips. Good luck with your drag racing.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

2-3k? i have a 4k...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Well if you are serious about a 1/4 mile queen you will want an automatic with a 2-3K rpm stall converter and you will want to change it to a solid axle not only because it will be lighter (assuming you want to win) but because of survivability. That is why Mustang owner with IRS change them to solid axle because overall they are lighter for 1/4 mile drag strips. Good luck with your drag racing.

Thats the plan.

Quick Reply: IRS OR SOLID AXLE