Notices
Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

over center spring install

Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over center spring install

can any of you guys help with the installation of the over center spring on the clutch pedal? it appears to only fit one way which is opposite what the service book shows. no real directions and i didn't take it apart so i'm kinda stuck. i had it in the way it looked like it fit but it didn't spring back. what gives?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:12 AM

Default RE: over center spring install

Next weekend when I go home I will look on my car and try to help you out with this. Is this the spring that goes from the end of the pedal to the adjustment bolt under the car? If at all possible post up the manual page (if you have a scanner), and I'll try to figure it out.

When I changed my bellhousing and clutch, I remember having a similar problem. I want to say the more you tighten the clutch adjustment bolt, the more the pedal will start to come back.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM

thanks for the help, no scanner though, its the large spring inside the car under the dash at the pedal. the spring has two ends, one end that hooks back just past the spring and the other end hooks after a five inch straight section. the manuel shows the straight section forward with the spring section tucked in under the pedal bracket hooked to a pin close to the firewall. there is no way that i can see it fits that way. i turned it around and hooked everthing up but the pedal would not swing back up by itself after being depressed all the way. i have the clutch adjustment bolt dialed in and the smaller spring that connects to the block is on but still doesn't work right. what is the position of your over center spring? (the one under the dash on the pedal)
thanks for a reply
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 AM

I'm going back to home tonight, and I'll check to see where that end connects to. So I will try to post back sometime this weekend
Old 06-09-2007, 07:46 AM

Is it the black spring? The end closest to the spring attaches to the pedal and then the other end that has the 5 inch or so connects to a metal rod that runs perpendicular. I took some pictures, and will post them up in a little while
Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 AM

Here is some pics i've taken. Let me know if this helps.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 PM

i KNOW you had to get in there and contort your body around in a small space to take those pics. thank you thank you thank you.
thats exactly what i was looking for. now i just need to figure out how to get that spring adjusted right. thats how i have it hooked up right now and it springs up fine but when its about halfway down it has a tendancy to spring down. i'm assuming it has to do with the adjustment on the clutch fork where it goes into the transmission.
ok thanks again. your cool man!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 AM

Yea mess with that adjustment bolt, and the pedal will eventually come back. That problem you are describing is exactly what I had happen. I couldn't understand why the pedal would be fine, then somethimes it would just drop to the floor. My pedal only comes back alittle over 3/4 of the way now, but I can live with it like that.