Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Car and Driver

Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car and Driver

A convertible 2010 hemi-orange SRT Challenger was pictured in the June 2008 issue of Car and Driver. The caption under the photo says:

What it is: The recently introduced Challenger loses its top in 2009.

Why is it important: Gives people mourning the loss of the Prowler a nostalgic alternative.

Competition: Reborn Chevrolet Camaro, Plymouth Prowler, a 70s Challenger, a mullet.

Estimated arrival and cost: Arrives in the spring of 2009. Expect a $5,000 premium over the hardtop.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car and Driver

Sounds very rumor-y to me. Not that I'd complain if it happens. Although a sunroof is enough for me I think.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 PM

Yep, just got issue today.

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

A convertible 2010 hemi-orange SRT Challenger was pictured in the June 2008 issue of Car and Driver. The caption under the photo says:

What it is: The recently introduced Challenger loses its top in 2009.

Why is it important: Gives people mourning the loss of the Prowler a nostalgic alternative.

Competition: Reborn Chevrolet Camaro, Plymouth Prowler, a 70s Challenger, a mullet.

Estimated arrival and cost: Arrives in the spring of 2009. Expect a $5,000 premium over the hardtop.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Beyond a similar price tag between a SRT-8 and the Prowler do the two have in common? This comparison does not make any sense. I can see a better parallel made for the PT Cruiser GT convertible being a substitute as it actually looks like the Prowler than the Challenger. Besides this, the Prowler was not a hot seller. I will believe it when I see it in person.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that always blew me away, how it wasn't (a hot seller); low to mid 30's, really hot looks...I thought it was a winner.

I agree, RLSH, no way would I see the two as comparable. The Prowler, arguably was the gen before (hot rodder enthusiasts from 50's and early 60's as opposed to the next wave Muscle Cars.

I liked how Chrysler went to the 30's for design inspiration in the 90's and wish they had continued. Seems a no brainer....300C inspired from the 50's, the RAM Truck inspired from the PowerWagon of the 50's, the Charger and Challenger from the late 60's, these are their hot sellers, why not echo these styling queues in a modern interpretation for their entire line.

To continue to beat a dead horse, the vapid boxy look was played out already by Volvo, I don't think Chrysler needs to continue their foray into this explored territory. American cars need to look good.

Heck, roll the way back machine back to the 90's the last gen Intrepids and Stratus's (Strati ?) were so sweet. Give'm a potent hemi and rock it out.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DSkippy

Yeah, that always blew me away, how it wasn't (a hot seller); low to mid 30's, really hot looks...I thought it was a winner.

I agree, RLSH, no way would I see the two as comparable. The Prowler, arguably was the gen before (hot rodder enthusiasts from 50's and early 60's as opposed to the next wave Muscle Cars.

I liked how Chrysler went to the 30's for design inspiration in the 90's and wish they had continued. Seems a no brainer....300C inspired from the 50's, the RAM Truck inspired from the PowerWagon of the 50's, the Charger and Challenger from the late 60's, these are their hot sellers, why not echo these styling queues in a modern interpretation for their entire line.

To continue to beat a dead horse, the vapid boxy look was played out already by Volvo, I don't think Chrysler needs to continue their foray into this explored territory. American cars need to look good.

Heck, roll the way back machine back to the 90's the last gen Intrepids and Stratus's (Strati ?) were so sweet. Give'm a potent hemi and rock it out.

Actually the price tag was around $45K for the Prowler. The reason why they didn't sell was they only offered a 253hp & 255ft-lbs of tq 3.5L V6 with a 4-speed automatic without a manual option. Although they were pretty quick for what they were offering (0-60 in 5.8 secs) mostly thanks to having a lightweight aluminum chassis, the issue was you could get a Corvette for around the same money if not less that was faster and had an established aftermarket. If they wanted it to succeed, they would have needed a manual transmission and a more powerful engine offering (which unfortunately they didn't have at the time).

DSkippy. have you been reading my rants about what Chrysler needs to do to turn themselves around, because we certainly seem to think alike. I would love to see Chrysler use the aerodynamic styling found in the Intrepid and Stratus, just giving it an updated look an updated powertrain. The fact of the matter is Chrysler needs to learn to diversify their styling. They need to have some boxier models which seems to sell effectively in full-sized and muscle cars, and use aerodynamic styling in mid-sized and compact cars, make some classic styled cars for a hot rod and a practical model based off of the hot rod's styling, etc.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Agreed. . . I had a 94 intrepid and it was a lot better than the avenger they've got out now. They already have a charger, they didn't need to make a "mini-charger" too.

It's especially dissapointing since chrysler makes some of the coolest concepts. Charger concept, firepower, razor.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

Agreed. . . I had a 94 intrepid and it was a lot better than the avenger they've got out now. They already have a charger, they didn't need to make a "mini-charger" too.

It's especially dissapointing since chrysler makes some of the coolest concepts. Charger concept, firepower, razor.
That is why I'm struggling to make a decision for a replacement for my 97 Intrepid. The Avenger has a trunk that I would expect to find in a compact car, not a mid-sized. I can tolerate smaller since an Avenger is a Stratus replacement, but it is simply too small. The interior is a big step down from the soft materials my Intrepid has. The only things improved are the engine and transmission and the engine's output improvement of a mere 21hp & 11ft-lbs of tq boost over an 11 year period (15 year period if you count the starting year of the original Intrepid) isn't that inspiring.

I would consider the Charger, the only problem is I must have either FWD or AWD with the weather conditions and RWD simply does not work and the fuel economy with the AWD is simply horrible. What they need to do is look through the concepts they had back in the 90s to early merger years and use those for inspiration.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts