Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Motor Trend Article

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Trend Article

I just received the April 2008 issue of Motor Trend. On the cover was this title- "Saddle Up! The Ponycar War is About to Break out Again! Challenger SRT8. We Drive Dodge's Hot New Hemi Coupe. Its Locked, Loaded, and Gunning for the Mustang...and Camaro."

Here are some comments about the car that got my blood racing:

"Sorry Ford, your by default reign over the American musclecar party is about to come to an end. This is clear when we climb aboard a final engineering prototype of the Challenger SRT8, fire its 425-horse Hemi-V8, and plant our right foot hard to the mat."

"The engine screams to over 6000 rpm, the rectangular exhaust outlets below, and the Big Bad Dodge's husky butt fishtails in response, just like the good old days. Better, in fact."

"A lot of aero work was required by the SRT team to get the car balanced enough for their trademark 150 mph lane change, including a small lip spoiler out back, plus a splitter and two small dive-plane winglets up front, resembling those on a 1970 Challenger T/A."

"Brembo suplies the massive four-wheel discs, with supercar size 14.2-inch rotors in front and 13.8 inchers aft. All are vented and clamped by aluminum four-piston calipers."

"Just fire up the Hemi. It burbles deeper and louder than on the other SRT8 models; the team says this Challenger-spec exhaust system comes as close to the drive-by noise certification limit without exceeding it."

"The Challenger screams musclecar from every seem."

"Expect 0-60 times in the low-five-second range...and mid 13-second quarter mile runs."

"Its likely that the upcoming round of great American musclecars will be the last, at least as we know them...Let's smoke'em while we've got them."[sm=gears.gif]

To read the enire article, see:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...hallenger_srt8

Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend Article

I see the Challenger as the "big dog" while the mustang is more like a cute little puppy.
I don't want to go through life meekly, so I want the "big dog" car.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend Article

Herein lies one major advantage the Challenger will have over the Mustang, in that the latter still runs a live rear axle. While most drag racers still prefer this old-school rearend, and Ford tames it pretty well, Mustangs still dance a bit over undulating pavement and mid-corner bumps. The Challenger (and Camaro) should post a handling advantage by using IRS.
Back a year a go, many of you wanted a live axle. I wanted the IRS for the reasons mentioned above. I am a happy camper.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.