Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Motor Trend article suggests no V6 for challenger

Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend article suggests no V6 for challenger

This article was in the lastest motor trend. Even though I want a 5.7 or 6.1 with a 6-speed, I still would like for a 6 cyclinder to be produced. By the way that green mustang is the bullit mustang

Why Mustang is making life tough for Chevy and Dodge

The Mustang is cheap to build. And that's causing major headaches for planners at Chevrolet and Dodge as they work on their own, more sophisticated, musclecars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/7D275DE8CFD940C69F33EDF0A975A8F7.jpg[/IMG]

Whispers out of Auburn Hills hint DaimlerChrysler couldn't figure out how to price a V-6 Challenger within $5000 of a base Mustang and now won't even bother offering an entry-level model. The problem is the Challenger's platform which will underpin the next-gen Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, features a more expensive independent rear-suspension setup. Dodge marketers figure the Challenger will appeal most to baby boomers who have the money to splash on a well-specified V-8, anyway. But this also limits the car's potential sale and makes the already wafer-thin profit margins even thinner.[/b]
[IMG]local://upfiles/374/0DEED1EDF7024612BE48105E8602AD33.jpg[/IMG]

Chevy faces a similar cost problem with the independent rearend Zeta platform of the new Camaro. The Zeta architecture will be more widely used, helping costs, but insiders admit GM will struggle to get a base V-6 Camaro near $20,000, mainly because the logical engine for the car-the DOHC, 3.6-liter high-feature V-6-ain't cheap, nor is the new six-speed automatic it needs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/CD374DF4B03340D8B73A2660795CB6CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Motor Trend article suggests no V6 for challenger

Don't you find that a little dubious? They are selling the Charger today with a 2.7L and a 3.5L V6 for ~$21k and $26k respectively per dodge.com. If the CHallenger is on the same platform wouldn't you think they could get close to the numbers they need?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 PM

I agree. As the article says, a base level stang is cheap. It is a nice car, no doubt, but not a contender for something like Motor Trend’s COTY. It has (in somes opinion) a sharp look, pretty good interior, and decent hp for an okay price. If dodge does not make a base level challenger, it still needs make the challengers with enough versatility (hp and price) among them that can directly compete with the GT model and one that can compete with a Shelby 350 and 500 respectively. Still, a detuned steel platform, cloth, plastic, and aluminum interior, and a 250 hp V6 should be able to be made for a reasonable price (starting at no higher than 25K). I think that the real problem is that DCX is afraid that a similarly priced challenger with any engine choice would start cannibalizing their Charger sales[sm=chairshot.gif]. I myself, before I knew that the challenger was going to be produced, was planning on saving up for a Charger RT. (midnight blue, with the RT package for 350 hp.) But as soon as I saw the challenger alongside the Imperial on the cover of MT, I knew that if they were to make it I would buy it.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 AM

That's funny...I had test driven a Challenger R/T but wanted to buy an SRT. The dealer didn't have one so they were steering me to inventory they had and I balked. As far as a 4 door sports sedan I think it's a great car. Donning the Charger badge is something purists get pissy about & I can see their point (not a real big deal with me) but, like you, when I saw the Challenger that was it. I am saving for a 6.1L and really hope a 6 cylinder option comes alongside to offer some pricing options. If DCX releases a limited lineup with V8 only I expect the pricing spike will remain higher longer. I truly hope that MT has their head up their butts on this one.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

joeyr, I saw that article. Take what they say with a grain of salt. It was either them or C&D that said the Charger would not have an SRT-8 model. Now I won't doubt that the LX based platforms cost more (remember who originally designed them), but I agree with the theory that the Challenger could cannibalize the Charger's sales. I also was originally wanting a Charger until they announced the Challenger concept.

In my opinion, they never should have used the LX based platform for the Challenger anyways. I've also thought this way about the LX used in the Charger as well. Since the Challenger is not meant to be a tank-strength, luxury car, I don't know why they need a tank-strength, luxury car platform. If you ask me they should have taken the LH platform, updated it and increased the size of the engine bay.

Awsure, remember that the 2.7L is actually for fleets and not normal sales. Also it would be better not to have a V6 option than to have the 2.7L as the V6 (no power, runs like a I4 without the power or fuel economy of one, no reliability-the most unreliable engine Chrysler currently makes, if not the most unreliable in their history-, need I say more?). The lowest the 3.5L is sold in the LX cars is at $22,990.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM

If the Charger with a V8 was a coupe and had 6 speed transmission, then I would buy it. The Challenger is filling a void that needed to be filled.

What I worry about is DCX thinking that a limited production only Challenger is going to help their bottom line. Ford has limited production Mustangs that most can't get or afford and thus most settle and buy the Mustang GT. This helps Ford's bottom line because the limited prodcution cars are getting buyers excited and they still get a sale. 10,000 Shelbys being built and sold in 2007 will not mean much to Ford other than it got buyers for the regular Mustang. If I can't get the Challenger when it comes out then I'm going to wait and see if I can get a Camaro. If I can't get the Camaro because of limited production marketing, then I'll but the Mustang GT.

I'm ready to buy now, but I'm going to wait to see if I can get a Challenger or a Camaro. If not, then DCX and GM has lost a sale to Ford.

I hope these highly paid auto executives are thinking clearly about what is driving the success of Ford's Mustang.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blueshawk

If the Charger with a V8 was a coupe and had 6 speed transmission, then I would buy it. The Challenger is filling a void that needed to be filled.

What I worry about is DCX thinking that a limited production only Challenger is going to help their bottom line. Ford has limited production Mustangs that most can't get or afford and thus most settle and buy the Mustang GT. This helps Ford's bottom line because the limited prodcution cars are getting buyers excited and they still get a sale. 10,000 Shelbys being built and sold in 2007 will not mean much to Ford other than it got buyers for the regular Mustang. If I can't get the Challenger when it comes out then I'm going to wait and see if I can get a Camaro. If I can't get the Camaro because of limited production marketing, then I'll but the Mustang GT.

I'm ready to buy now, but I'm going to wait to see if I can get a Challenger or a Camaro. If not, then DCX and GM has lost a sale to Ford.

I hope these highly paid auto executives are thinking clearly about what is driving the success of Ford's Mustang.
Becareful of thinking that way, the Mustang is the only car that is currently making money for Ford and that is due to its legacy. The Challenger is not going to be able to match the sales of the Mustang or be anywhere close to it if the production was unlimited. The Challenger isn't recognized. Chrysler was burned once with overproduction and it almost killed them.

The Camaro was not near as popular as the Mustang when it was discountinued. The sales of the Camaro and Firebird combined was less than half of the sales of the Mustang. Now having said that, it would be a good idea not to have too limited production of the Challenger as long as they produce the correct amount, which is hard to predict.

The 300 doesn't sell as many units as the Mustang does, and it was a super success story. The Mustang has a high recognition and strong fan base. The Challenger has almost start from scratch other than a group of past Challenger owners. The Challenger has missed out on generations X and Y while the Mustang and Camaro have had both. You have to remember this as well.

If the Charger was a coupe I would give it the same consideration I am currently giving it. I like the looks of the Challenger better. If the Charger looked like a classic Charger or like the '99 concept. I'd take it over the Challenger. Don't get me wrong, I like the Charger, but I liek the Challenger better.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-14-2006, 03:34 PM

I've been out of the muscle car arena for a long time and am pretty excited about the new muscle cars. I'm hoping to score one before this "muscle car fad" with the Big Three wears out. That said, I'm most excited about the Challenger, but the Camaro and Mustang have my attention too. I'm probably reacting to this "sellers market" with regards to the muscle cars when I'm used to it being a buyers market like for all the other boring cars I've bought in recent years. Let's hope DCX makes enough Challengers for us all!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Lets hope that DCX makes enough challengers for us all
Amen
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM

For me it's a Challenger V8 Hemi as big as it comes, full boat of all options available or I buy another import. No more no less..