Notices
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 should be placed here.

Oil Changes versus Service Appointments/Kicker Sound System

Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes versus Service Appointments/Kicker Sound System

The dealer sticker on my brand new black SRT-8 fully equipped Challenger says that I should bring it in at 3,000
miles for an oil change. But the manual says that the first service should be at 5,000 miles. I sent an email to
the sales person and he was sort of stumped by the question. So I am wondering. Do I bring it in at 3,000 miles
for an oil change and then again for a service call at 5,000 miles? Seems a little silly to me to bring it two times
within 2,000 miles of each other. By the way, I just LOVE this car. It has everything and everyone is coming up
to me and admiring it.

On a similar note, i have the KICKER Radio system but I wasn't able (so far) to find too much information about it except
for what is printed in the Navigation manual that came separately from the dealer (along with the separate owners manual).
Is there any information about the Kicker System available? I do see that HUGE speaker in the trunk. Not sure if that is the
sub-woofer or not (since I am not all familiar with stereo systems) but I have set the base up a bit and that back speaker really
vibrates and if the radio is on and you open the trunk: WOW! I found the equalizer setting and adjusted it and when I play a
channel like Sirius BP Dance station you can tell how the system switches from speaker to speaker (left to right, etc.) automatically. Anyway, its a really dynamic radio system.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:18 AM

Default RE: Oil Changes versus Service Appointments/Kicker Sound System

Since it's using Mobil 1 I would do what the manual says, unless you just feel compelled to give your dealership more money. If you switch to a standard oil (non-synthetic) then do the 3000 mile oil change. As long as you are following what the manufacture recommends you are good to go. Can't help you on the kicker sound question. I've got it in my car too, but I haven't messed with it much.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:48 AM

As far as the oil change, most here and other forums have noted a change engine oil light around 2500 to 2700 miles. It is highly recommended that you get the initial change then. Make sure they reset the oil change light. You can do yourself it's really easy. There after 5000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 should be fine, unless you get the light sooner.

The the Kicker system you can get some information at the Dodge web-site but I found all I needed in the manuals that came with the car. Yes, the large speaker in the trunk is your sub-woofer and it it really sweet.

Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: CARNVR09SRT

Since it's using Mobil 1 I would do what the manual says, unless you just feel compelled to give your dealership more money. If you switch to a standard oil (non-synthetic) then do the 3000 mile oil change. As long as you are following what the manufacture recommends you are good to go. Can't help you on the kicker sound question. I've got it in my car too, but I haven't messed with it much.
Hope this helps.
Don't even think about changing over to non-synthetic oil in your SRT8. The engines were specifically designed to use it. The tolerances are really tight and dino-oil may not be able to get into the tighter spots that need lubrication and you can end up with excessive wear and premature engine failure. The Corvettes are the same way.