Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
27.78%
No
27.78%
I'll have to see the price first
11.11%
I'll need to see more specs/ pics first
0%
I'll have to drive one first
22.22%
I'll have to see on in person
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Is anyone suprised by the quality of the base model

Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is anyone suprised by the quality of the base model

Guys they gave a really nice package for the base SE. It is set up for those who are on a budget but still want a Challenger. If the power is what you want, then the R/T is the way to go. 5-speed auto or 6-speed manual and a 370-375 HP motor. This is the set up. For all out HP and style the SRT-8. It covers everyone. How about we stop complaining for a minute and just look at what is offered. Its everything that was asked for and yet we sit and hear complaint after complaint. I guess they just could'nt win with everybody. I'm satisfied they did what they set out to do and that is listen to the folks and try to please as many as possible. The base SE is one nice looking ride and the introduction of the R/T has me rethinking my choice. I really like the 375 HP 6-speed alot. I'm leaning more in that direction now.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There might not be as much confusion as you may think when it comes to SE. Dodge seems to be bumping things up when it comes to the models and taking it to a new level, a new more expensive level. There are no badges when it comes to the SE, but there are many options that you wouldn't think the SE would have. My wife's Avenger would be an example. When she had the SE Avenger, it had the options of six speaker six CD changer, auto start, heated cloth seats, YES essentials, etc. etc. There still are some things missing that you can't get unless you upgrade to the next level, but something like the auto start you can get without buying this big package, while on the R/T, maybe even the SXT, you have to get the total package.

Basically, if they are going to confuse people then it's not going to be just with the Challenger. There is now a fine line between the SE and the SXT. Bacially, you aren't able to get certain things on the SE that you can on the SXT, but it is a fine line. Auto up and down on the SXT while only auto down on the SE. Stupid. Slightly bigger engine on the SXT, sun roof, so on and so forth. I'm starting to wonder if they are going to just eliminate one of the levels and just let you choose from all the options for that one level.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Billionaire, the Challenger doesn't weigh 4K pounds until it has the Hemi dropped into it. On top of this the Charger and 300 have the 3.5L equipped with the same engine, and the acceleration times range from the mid 7s to 8 sec range in the 0-60 range. Although this is not Hemi category, it is certainly not disgraceful either. If they make the V6 too fast, why would anyone want to people want to pay the extra price for the Hemi when they will have to pay more at the dealership, at the insurance office, at the pump, etc. beyond the hardcore fans.

70sguy, I'd say originally that is what it meant way back in the day but it certainly does not mean that these days as that has become the base model badge. I would say it would stand for Standard Edition.

Chris, although I agree that the 4-speed is last generation's technology, the fact of the matter is the only 5-speed Chrysler would use has already been tried on the Charger with this engine and it yielded NO advantages over the 4-speed. The acceleration times are the same and the fuel economy is the same. All that you will get with the 5-speed is bragging rights and a higher price tag. If you guys want this model to be as closely priced to the Mustang as possible, sacrifices will be needed to make. Count your blessings that you will have better fuel economy than the automatic V6 Mustang and that the 3.5L has a pretty much bulletproof history when the 4.0L hasn't been as lucky since it got its SOHC treatment.

Axel, nothing would make me happier than to see the SXT badge on the Avenger disappear (especially if it takes the 2.7L V6 with it) and I think it has lost its original purpose. They have struggled to decide its roll as it replaced the R/T on the Intrepid, it replaced the SE on the Stratus, it replaced the ES on the Caravan, etc. Make up your mind Chrysler.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

Isn't 250 HP pretty weak for a 4,000 pound car?
I would think that would take the performance down to the level of your average minivan for soccer moms.
ORIGINAL:

RLSH700 Billionaire, the Challenger doesn't weigh 4K pounds until it has the Hemi dropped into it.
I saw on another website that the SE was substantially lighter with the V6, like closer to 3800, cant confirm but time will tell.

those interested in the options and packages available for each trim level, Dodge has them posted on the website (without the prices of course):

http://www.dodge.com/en/pdf/buyersgu...enger_2009.pdf
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Many times it more cost effective to not make a lot of changes in manufacturing because of the cost of running a product with different parts.

So you try to keep it very close and just change out some basic parts and some styling changes.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joeyr

I saw on another website that the SE was substantially lighter with the V6, like closer to 3800, cant confirm but time will tell.

those interested in the options and packages available for each trim level, Dodge has them posted on the website (without the prices of course):

http://www.dodge.com/en/pdf/buyersgu...enger_2009.pdf
That would be logical as the fact of the matter is the Challenger is slightly lighter than the Charger and the 3.5L powered Charger RWD version weighs about 3783 lbs, so it isn't 4K or 4100 lbs like some were saying.

Jeremiah: What you say is true. Economies of scale can help keep the cost down with sharing more with the other versions.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 PM

The SE Plus Charger is 3727 lbs. The SXT is an even 3800. So I'd expect the challenger to be about 3700. I can't seem to find any hard information on the V6's 0-60 speed. I've found everything from 7 seconds to over 9 seconds.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

The SE Plus Charger is 3727 lbs. The SXT is an even 3800. So I'd expect the challenger to be about 3700. I can't seem to find any hard information on the V6's 0-60 speed. I've found everything from 7 seconds to over 9 seconds.
I would expect the over 9 seconds to be about the 2.7L, unless that was that one which tested the 5-speed auto and got shockingly terrible results. Most have the 3.5L powered LX cars placed between 7.5-8.0 seconds.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

For those that get the Challenger SE now......you can always upgrade to one of these bad boys:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=8033
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

For those that get the Challenger SE now......you can always upgrade to one of these bad boys:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=8033
Yep, and you will need to get a much stronger transmission in the process as well. So far, that transmission has never in my knowledge had any more hp & tq to it than 255hp & 258 ft-lbs of tq stock. But a good point regardless.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Is anyone suprised by the quality of the base model