Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger vs Camaro?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Challenger vs Camaro?

I've always been a Dodge fan... Had a Ram for the past 8 years that I really loved! Two months ago I traded it in (very hard to do...lol) for a new Challenger R/T. So far I love it..I get lots of looks and compliments. Now I see that the Camaro is suppsed to be coming out soon so I did some comparisions. The V6 Camaro is sipposed to be as fast if not a bit faster than my V8 Challenger.... and the V8 Camaro is supposed to be almost twice as fast as my Challenger. 0-60 around 6 seconds for the Challenger R/T vs 4.3 seconds for the Camaro??? The V8 Camaro also costs the same as the Challenger R/T. I hate to say it.. but this has me thinking about trading in my new Challenger. Am I missing something? I heard all this talk about the Challenger and thought I had a really fast ride... but compared to the Camaro I feel like I am driving a Yugo! Are these just a bunch of BS numbers cause there are more Chevy fans than Dodge fans out there? Anything I can do to get my Challenger up into the speeds of the Camaro? I was looking into a cat-back exhaust, CAI and probably the Diablo Predator... but this can't help enough to take me from 0-60 in 6 seconds to 0-60 in 4.3 seconds can it?!? Is Dodge just really inferior? I would fight normally fight anyone that would say that to me.. lol but numbers are numbers?!? Anyone have any insight into this? I love my Dodge and would hate to get rid of it.... turn into just another Chevy fan... but I like SPEED too! And 40K for a SRT8 is out of my price range and the Camaro is supposedly still faster than that anyways! Blah... think I am gonna cry! lol :P
Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

A few points

6 seconds is at the longest end of the acceleration time, many have the Challenger down at the low 5 sec range on the R/T. In order for any car to be "twice as fast" the acceleration time would have to be half the time (which would be around 2-3 secs on the 0-60 times); therefore, it isn't twice as fast. There is a gap between the Camaro V8 and Challenger R/T and it would probably take more than exhaust changes, CAI, and other simple changes. Let's wait and see how the Camaro matches up though in a head-to-head show down. C&D had times of 4.6 secs and 4.8 secs with the Camaro V8 and 5.9 secs with the V6. The Challenger R/T did 5.1 secs for the R/T; therefore, the two V8s are closer than what it looks like at first. The Challenger is a fast car, the GM just waited longer to adjust accordingly. In a year or so Dodge might repay the favor.

Also, the times I have read about the V6 Camaro lead me to believe that a Challenger R/T will still come out on top in the acceleration times and furthermore if the lackluster quality of the HF engine continues with the added bonus of even higher compression and brand new GDI technology, the Hemi should easily out live this V6.

The Challenger is going to have trouble leading the Camaro in the first place because the Challenger is a larger car than the Camaro. If the truth were to be told, the Challenger should have been named "Charger" as it is a size bigger than the Camaro.

Despite popular belief, there is more to a pony car than just performance. If performance was the only thing, GM would have won the last round in the pony car war. I can say that I'd never be caught dead driving the new Camaro as it still looks strange.

The fact of the matter is GM has continued in their tradition in the follower's strategy of waiting for the competition to show their hand, then adjusting their hand in the game and playing accordingly.

I'd keep it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Red face

Hmmm..... a V6 Camaro - faster than a HEMI V8? And the V8 Camaro 0-60 in 4.3?
Wherever you're living, PLEASE send me some of that FatBud you guys are smoking! I don't care HOW MUCH it costs - I want some!!!
And if you're considering trading in your new Challenger for one of these mythical hyper-performing Camaros - based on these numbers you're quoting, I'd be interested in making you an offer. I can invent small numbers too.

If the performance and styling of the Challenger isn't enough for you, I'd suggest you get a motorcycle with a 100 shot of NOs, drag chute, and wheelie bars. There's far more to a muscle car than (fictional) numbers.
The Camaro is ugly, the interior is cheap, it has no rear leg/cargo room, and the numbers you're stating are completely fictional. It's like dumping your respectable girlfriend for the promise of the slutty girl at school (everyone wants a ride just to see what it's like, but no one really wants to take it home for Mama or the neighbors to see). In the end, you hope your girlfriend will forgive your lack of self control and take you back.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Whoa, where is this data coming from? I know the Camaro is pretty small, but a 304HP V6 beating a 425 hemi is hard to believe.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Colorancher
Whoa, where is this data coming from? I know the Camaro is pretty small, but a 304HP V6 beating a 425 hemi is hard to believe.
He's talking about a Challenger R/T which produces either 372hp or 376hp not the 425 SRT-8.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=163647
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._ss_model.html
Old 03-22-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find falseness in some of the statements. Price being one of them. Lets wait and see what the price will bring for the Camaro... I know what they want. But its what they get that matters. I think they try to compare price per price. SS vs R/t. It should be top of the line SS to SRT-8. They are more evenly matched. They have no problem comparing a ZR-1 to a Viper with $25,000 difference. So they should compare an SS to an SRT-8. As an R/T owner I will have no problem comparing my skills to the skills of an SS driver. He should have no problem handing me my butt on a street jount. But we'll see what the under dog does as I have seen times by very talented R/T owners in 13.1 quarter times. Not the norm by far but very much a reality in the right hands. I stand by my statements as it being a drivers race for the most part. I went to the Camaro web sight to read what they think. Most were in agreement with me as to it being a drivers race. Some as with all forums will not be beaten because the #s say they should win. But thats why we race to see what the real world figures are. 3:92 gears for us and a great launch... they will need those 426 HP to try and run us down. Good job Chevy for getting your guys a Camaro they can be proud of. But I'm a Dodge guy and I will continue to stand up for our brand. Don't get me started on the Mustang... those boys do live in a dream world.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 AM

It's hardly a "dream world". People have posted times down into the low 13s with mustang GTs. Driver mod + CAI/Tune and there you have it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that was quick. I posted that knowing how defensive the Mustang guys are. And I guess if I had the stage alone for a few years I might also. But the facts are there excluding the 2010 Mustang. I get the reply from Mustang guys that "we are close if not better than the R/T and then put the SRT-8 into the fray also. The 2010 might be a great Mustang in the performance department. But when I hear that the R/T would struggle against the 2003 ect. Mustang GT I have to laugh. I have not found a GT of this gen. that is close. Even with intake and exhaust as most have, they are slower than a stock R/T. But the 5.3 2010 might be the real deal. Just think that we need to keep it real. When modded cars are compared then its just who can spend the most money. I like Camaros and Mustangs. I just think that some are easier to goad into an unreal stance. I hope to post some 1/4 mile times in my R/T soon. But as of now I only have what I have seen on the street. This R/T attracts Mustangs here in the Charlotte area and they have left with a better understaning of what an R/T is capable of. I guess the Mustang guys around here do not like sharing the pony car road. But as I have posted before... when they outrun me I will give them their due.

Quick Reply: Challenger vs Camaro?