Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Competition to Lower Prices?

Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Competition to Lower Prices?

We all know competition is a good thing for the buyer. With all the muscle on its way, do you guys think that will affect the prices of these vehicles? (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, etc.)
Old 12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Competition to Lower Prices?

I have to believe it will but not the first year they are out and it depends who they are targeting the cars for.
I heard they were having a hard time making the Challenger at the low price of the Mustang. Part of the reason was because of the IRS.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 PM

It should help. Let's face it...most those on this site are zeroed in on Challenger and nothing else. There are alot of other folks that will simply want a muscle car and will shop Mustang against Camaro against Challenger and so on. Also depends on models offered. More choices should provide more competitive pricing I think.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:10 PM

I still think the Challenger will be the most expensive per horsepower. If it's $4000 to $5000 more than the Camaro for the same horsepower I will have to do some serious thinking. I'm a Mopar lover right down to my Hemi gotchies, but the wallet will only open so far.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:11 AM

Maybe right although I can't really base a decision solely on dollars per HP. I think my choice is largely one of styling and I really enjoy the retro look and feel of Challenger versus the more futuristic look of the Camaro. As long as I have 400HP+ I am good to go! Your comment is perhaps a good example of how market forces will (hopefully) keep the cars priced competitive. You are a buyer that is more interested in overall power within this class and not set on a particular car. It's folks like you that will play GM & DCX (and Ford, etc...) against each other and keep 'em honest.[sm=violent053.gif]
Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 PM

I do love neck snapping horsepower! But I am 99% sure I will get the Challenger. I love the way it looks. As far as a retro interior, I don't think Dodge or Plymouth ever really had an interior that everyone REMEMBERED. Now the Camaro concept, that has a georgious interior. Especially the dash and shifter area. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:12 PM

I surely hope the Mustang/Camaro competition will put pressure on Chrysler to keep the Challenger prices lower.

However, personally I don't think they are direct competitors. I view the Mustang/Camaro to be direct competitors going after the 20-40 year old market. My perception is that the Mustang/Camaro are geared to a much younger age group....at least those that can afford the insurance.

I find the Challenger to be more attractive to the muscle-car era fans...namely the 40+ age group. I, a middle-aged Canadian male recall the Challenger years and also the Mustang/Camaro twins.

I look forward to a fancy Challenger, leather interior, IRS, all the bells and whistles, and the requisite higher price tag. I am prepared and willing to pay $5,000 more for the Challenger. I want to have a more exclusive car. I recall that Mustangs are selling around 150,000 models per year. I remember reading that GM probably anticipates 100,000 Camaros per year. Those two models have always been and will continue to be direct competitors.

If the Challenger sells 20,000 - 30,000 per year that suits me just fine. I want to be the only one on my street to have a Black or Plum Crazy Challenger. Secondly, I do NOT intend on drag racing every young 20+ young fella who drives up to every stoplight in his Mustang/Camaro for a showdown. I'm too old for that,....maybe a little too wise...and definitely do not have to prove anything.

I want a cruising car, to cruise along the boulevard, drive Downtown, go along the lake or brouse the countryside for a afternoon ride. The journey is the trip, not the destination.

I want to drive the Challenger to the local car shows, lift up the hood, and show off this beauty.

So, bring it on in March 2008!!! I'll be waiting.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:22 PM

Blu Angel, I like your points, but I disagree with you a little. I think that the Challenger will inevitably be linked together with the Camaro and the Mustang (which has a new design coming in 2009-10) much like the GT500 has been compared and to the Corvette and Viper. This is despite the fact there is 30K difference between the GT500 and Viper and the Mustang is the only one of the three with back seats. As for the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang, all three will be attractive coupes with V8 engines, and as soon as they are all available they will be on the cover of Motor Trend, Automobile, or some other car magazines with a big comparison article about which car is better for the money. But, if the Challenger is priced to high, they will lose a strong base from the 20-30 years olds, many of which also find this car attractive because of the fact they were either not born in the right time or too young to appreciate the muscle car era. I am one of them; a 19 year old and who has always wanted a muscle car but can’t afford a $50,000+ classic. And while personally I wouldn’t mind seeing a lot of challengers on the road, I do understand why people would want a limited production run. If it is made with a base model v6 at a mustang-like price it would be like the Chrysler 300 or the PT cruiser a few years back; a car that you see so much that its charm is almost taken away.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy for the GM guys, they will have their Camaro back. And it will be the best of both worlds. The Ford guys have their Mustang and with its refinements, it really is a nice car. Thanks to Ford for building a retro Mustang. If not for them and their loyal fans, we might not of seen this Challenger materialize. I started driving at the end of the muscle car era. 1976 they gave me a licence to drive and I went straight for the muscle cars. I wish all those who drive all these fine cars the most fun and maybe a little taste of what it was to cruise in these beasts. The first time I see a new Mustang and new Camaro line up at a stop light.... I will have come full circle. I will be driving the new Challenger, not because it will be the fastest of the three. Because it might not be, I will be driving it for what it means to me. I will be doing the speed limit 90% of the time, the rest will be enjoying the engineering. The Hemi engine, the 4 wheel disk brakes, and the independent rear suspension. Man its great to be us and to live now. These are what we made our cars into and we can buy them already assembled. Merry Christmas guys and Happy New Year. We draw one day closer.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:14 AM

I miss my 70 Chevelle SS 396, 4-speed. I had to sell it 32 years ago because I needed a family car. Now I'm impatiently waiting for the Challenger. I think the younger guys now have a chance to enjoy what I did, "living in the muscle car era". Back then I didn't really know how special that time was and now there appears to be a chance to relive it in the next few years. I don't want to miss out.

Competition is always a good thing. Ford will be a strong competitor and I hope GM is too. DCX has an opportunity to take it's renowned muscle car status and profit from it. To profit from it they must sell more cars. Which means I hope that DCX will make what is ordered from the dealers and not limit production. I may be wrong but I believe DCX doesn't profit from the stealers marking-up prices and pocketing the profits.

The US car industry is on the ropes and if it doesn't make changes it may never recover. It won't help to piss off potential buyers by their dealers ripping them off. They need to produce reliable cars and give good service. I have 3 Toyota's in the driveway now with all over 100,000 miles on them and I expect them to last another 100,000. Great cars and great customer service from the dealership.

The new muscle car era has awakened my lust for an American car. I hope the US car makers don't blow it!

Quick Reply: Competition to Lower Prices?