Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Which is faster... Challenger or Camaro

Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which is faster... Challenger or Camaro

Thats a question asked on another Dodge forum. I believe they were refering to quicker to 60 mph or 1/4 mile run. Most people say faster, when they mean quicker. I was raised in the 70s and I remember the cars well. I rode and drove the Challengers and Camaros of the day. All we can do is speculate until the actual cars come out. But with some people refering to past expierence, they seem to have a problem with their memories. The Camaro was exclusivly a small block car. Sure there were COPO and Yencos, but straight up... if you ran into an R/T Challenger, thats a big block and you had your butt handed to you. The chance of a meeting with a big block Camaro was a rare occurance. That is why I believe the mystic of the E- bodies when it comes to street excursions leans heavily towards the Challengers. The Camaro was a lighter car and when faced with a 426 or 440 they did not bring a big enough gun. And by chance if the Challenger was a 340, then you had a race. My Challenger has had a 340 in it since 1986 and I feel that it can hold its own against many well equipped cars. So with the discussion leaning towards the Camaro as the favorite in HP. I feel history will repeat itself and the SRT-8 Challengers will surface as the hands on HP winner. But whats your take on it, remember... its all speculation until that first stop light hookup. Then the street wars pick up where they left off. Take no prisoners!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which is faster... Challenger or Camaro

Well right now it's assumed that the Camaro will have the 400 hp 6.0 LS2, but now that the Vette has upgraded to the 430 hp 6.2 LS3, I'd bet that the Camaro will have a version of that as well, which would put it about on an even plane with the 425 hp 6.1 SRT motor. Even with the LS2, though, I'd probably (as much as it pains me to say this) give the Camaro a slight edge, largely because the Challenger is such a porker at 4100+ pounds.

Of course if Chrysler decides to up the hp on the 6.1 by next year (or 09), then my take might be different.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the underdog image, I suprised many a GM and Ford cars on the street and strip. I plan on continuing that tradition. Portly as we may seem, I believe the proof will come. Never underestimate the power of a HEMI.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Well right now it's assumed that the Camaro will have the 400 hp 6.0 LS2, but now that the Vette has upgraded to the 430 hp 6.2 LS3, I'd bet that the Camaro will have a version of that as well, which would put it about on an even plane with the 425 hp 6.1 SRT motor. Even with the LS2, though, I'd probably (as much as it pains me to say this) give the Camaro a slight edge, largely because the Challenger is such a porker at 4100+ pounds.

Of course if Chrysler decides to up the hp on the 6.1 by next year (or 09), then my take might be different.
I have serious doubts that the Camaro will have the same engine as the base level Vette. As Patrick has said in the past, the last Camaro was threatening the sales of the Vette by offering the exact same engine as it and selling it for a lower price, and they even doctored the engine output numbers to prevent that from happening and it failed to trick anyone. Think about it, what other reason would the up the engine in the Corvette? Since the G8 will feature the 6.0L (granted a lower output version) I would expect the Camaro to share the offering. Economies of scale.

Right now, I'm not speculating on anything. Too many factors are still unknown on both models.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I agree, there are too many variables in the equation right now. We need more info. before we have
have good guesses.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.