Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Forget about your ORDERED Challenger

Old 01-26-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Forget about your ORDERED Challenger

Or you can just do it this way...
1) Let the first run sell at or above MSPR (pre-ordered and allocated).
2) Wait for the larger dealers' lots to start filling with about 10 RTs and 3 SRTs (if that happens in 2008, great! - If not, wait till 2009).
3) Walk in and tell them you'll pay them 10% under the window price.
4) If they don't hit your exact number, leave and drive up the street to the next dealer (easy to do in OC, LA).
To heck with those guys...they don't REALLY care about you. You're just a number at the end of the day (literally). Give them the number YOU want.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Do you think I'm in any way defending dealerships or the people that work there? Hope not. I worked in one as a salesman for about a month. That's all I could stand - what they wanted me to do was contrary to everything I was taught growing up. Maybe that (in part) explains why the turnover is so high in that line of work.
Does that mean I think EVERY salesman at EVERY dealership is a liar, thief, or scam artist either? Nope. There's good and bad in everything - we usually find what we're looking for.
Sure, there's a tendency to prejudge people based on what they do for a living, or a myriad of other reasons for that fact. I TRY not to fall into that trap. I judge everyone on their own merits.

I've only ordered one new car in my life. The rest were bought from dealership lot inventories. My experience with that Ford dealership was excellent (the car was a piece of crap, but that's not the dealerships fault). Was that the rule, or the exception from their everyday business transactions? I have no way of knowing. I ordered the car and in three months, I took delivery. There was no way of me checking on the status of my order other than contacting the dealership back then.

So forgive me if I based my reply to you on your "inexperience" with the two other "big three" manufacturers. The way you went off on Challenger order fulfillment, it sure sounded like you had experience AND inside knowledge (from reliable sources) of the procedures at Dodge and were doomed to repeat a previous mistake.

BTW - 9,000 orders for a 2008 Challenger SRT8. Dodge confirms 6,400 will be built, which leaves roughly 2,600 customers who will not get an '08, but will (probably) be given priority for orders on '09's.
Does that sound reasonable?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnnytuinals

I think the dealer is allocated the cars First as you said depends on the dealership......
Then the orders are filled after the dealer gets his allocation.........
Having no idea what "ford's" version of "allocation" and "order" is I cannot speak to how your deal may have gone with them. In the case of the Challenger the "allocation" is the actual customer "orders". When Dodge "allocated" the Challengers they only "allocated" units to specific customer orders... not to the "dealers" themselves. In the case of the ford deal we might be comparing two different types of "allocation" where your "special order" may have been different and apart from the dealer's allocated "stock" units and possibly the dealer ran out of "total allocated" units before filling your "special order".

Just a thought on how such a deal with ford might have been different...
Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM

That sounds very fair.........
I am taking about DEALER Stock allocation and not Ordered Allocation from a customer.....
I thought Dodge had a Idea what a dealer would get in as Stock to sell to his customers before the order forms
were being taken????
So if I am right each dealer will get 1 Challenger to sell and maybe a few bigger dealers will have more to sell and it leave people that ordered the Challenger with little chance to even get one????
But lets put it this way
Lets say if Dodge makes 7,000 2008 Challengers and 8,000 people ordered one.
That means 1,000 will not see that car and also the dealer will not have any to sell in stock because all the
2008 challengers were already pre sold???
It does not make much sense to me,,,maybe others it will make better sense?
But I think the dealers will have most of the 2008 Challengers to sell as Stock items......
And as for us,hope many get lucky,but I am not going to pay above MSRP for a car on a lot...........JT
Old 01-26-2008, 07:23 PM

That means 1,000 will not see that car and also the dealer will not have any to sell in stock because all the
But I think the dealers will have most of the 2008 Challengers to sell as Stock items......
And as for us,hope many get lucky,but I am not going to pay above MSRP for a car on a lot...........JT

ORIGINAL: BootCamp
BTW - 9,000 orders for a 2008 Challenger SRT8. Dodge confirms 6,400 will be built, which leaves roughly 2,600 customers who will not get an '08, but will (probably) be given priority for orders on '09's.
Does that sound reasonable?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM

That sounds very fair.........
I am taking about DEALER Stock allocation and not Ordered Allocation from a customer.....
I thought Dodge had a Idea what a dealer would get in as Stock to sell to his customers before the order forms
were being taken????
So if I am right each dealer will get 1 Challenger to sell and maybe a few bigger dealers will have more to sell and it leave people that ordered the Challenger with little chance to even get one????
But lets put it this way
As I understand it, each dealer gets a specific number of cars "allocated" to them and each car they sell must have a name and address attached to the order. This is supposed to keep dealers from ordering the cars and selling them on the lot. Now we all know some dealers will use fictitious names, but that's how it's supposed to work. So if the dealer has allocation, Dodge ok's the order and you get a build number, you should get the car. I don't think dealers will have many to sell unless someone backs out of an order when it is delivered.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 AM

I spoke to the dealership that I am dealing with last summer. I was told at the time that I was number seven on their list. I have since been moved to five. They took my credit card number for the deposit. Nothing has ever been processed against the card. In mid December, I contacted the sales person and he told me that Canadian dealers were not even being allowed access to the order system in order to place orders. Since Dodge was not offering a colour that I want and I already have 2 magnificent cars to play with, I can wait. I have a granson who works on the line and I know that the cars are not yet scheduled and they are still working out assembly line kinks. When my order is placed for the one I want and my money is taken, then I will start to check on the process in anticipation.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Why did you special order a 2006 when the new mustang came out in 2005? Also what probably screwed you over is the dealer got their allocation and immediately made an order on them. Then once you put in your order they had to wait for more allocation so they could fill your order. Then once you order was picked up it takes about 6-8 weeks to be delievered.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:35 AM

Why did you special order a 2006 when the new mustang came out in 2005? Also what probably screwed you over is the dealer got their allocation and immediately made an order on them. Then once you put in your order they had to wait for more allocation so they could fill your order. Then once you order was picked up it takes about 6-8 weeks to be delievered.

Why did I order a 2006?
Reason was in mid june of 05,dealers were getting at least $5000 above MSRP.
I felt the new 2006 Stang Gts will be on dealer lots in early sept on 2005.
But when I seen dealers starting to get the Gts in and my car was in Limbo.
I called at least 50 PLUS dealers within 200 miles from where I lived to see if I could get the GT at INVOICE.
Nobody wanted to sell a Stang GT under MSRP at that time.(Still the 2006 were pretty rare at that time}
But I did find someone that would sell me the car at INVOICE just 30 miles from me...
So I feel calling around and talking JUST to salesmanagers did the trick,instead of wasting my time with just a salesperson..
We will see very soon what will happen with the people that have ordered Challengers.
Too me I think there will be many annoyed people,,,but then again I hope that I am wrong..............
I have a friend that has a Order for a Challenger and they are saying that they are getting 30 of them in........
Just makes me wonder abit more lol......JT
Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 AM

not how it works

Quick Reply: Forget about your ORDERED Challenger