Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Funny call from dealer!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funny call from dealer!

The same dealership I mentioned before also has a Black 08" and I always get a kick out of thinking about the $28,700 Market adjustment sticker on the car ha.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Market adjustment = how much we think we can rip off our customers.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Ive talked to dozens of dealerships in Canada, and I even had one tell me that an 08 SRT8's MSRP for Canada is 56,900....There are zero dealers in Canada letting them go for less than 65-70,000. Its ridiculous. I understand the mark up, of course, its a limited run! However, Chrysler releases them (or so I would think) for US...not so the dealerships can make an over abundance of money on them. I somehow doubt that the limited run was a reward to dealershps and car salesmen.

Its bad trying to buy one in the U.S, and its outright disgusting in Canada, since were only getting 500 up here. 45,100 off eBay works for me...thanks anyway Dealers.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Someone help me out here, because I just don’t get it. Is a consumer ripping off the dealer when they pay LESS than MSRP for a car? In what essential way is it different when a dealer charger more than MSRP when that is the price the market will bear. Either way, it’s a transaction both parties agree to – so where is the rip off?

A dealer can try to charge any price they want, but they can’t force anyone to buy it at that price. No one has to have a Challenger to survive, it’s strictly a want and not a need.

The Challenger will find its market value, whatever it is. If all dealers sold Challengers at sticker, there would be a bunch of opportunists buying them and then reselling on Ebay. And if the dealer overprices the car, that is their error, and they will end up holding an expensive piece of inventory until they figure out what the market price really is.

Personally, I would not pay a penny over sticker, but I know some folks will. Maybe some are idiots. Maybe some make well into 6 figures, want the car right now, and are willing to pay to be the first on the block to have one.

One year from now, there will be plenty of Challengers out there, the new Camaro will be the latest musclecar, and you’ll be able to get a Challenger at a discount. I love capitalism.

Just my thoughts, I might be missing something, and it wouldn’t be the first time.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Well said...

ORIGINAL: JLockhart

Someone help me out here, because I just don’t get it. Is a consumer ripping off the dealer when they pay LESS than MSRP for a car? In what essential way is it different when a dealer charger more than MSRP when that is the price the market will bear. Either way, it’s a transaction both parties agree to – so where is the rip off?

A dealer can try to charge any price they want, but they can’t force anyone to buy it at that price. No one has to have a Challenger to survive, it’s strictly a want and not a need.

The Challenger will find its market value, whatever it is. If all dealers sold Challengers at sticker, there would be a bunch of opportunists buying them and then reselling on Ebay. And if the dealer overprices the car, that is their error, and they will end up holding an expensive piece of inventory until they figure out what the market price really is.

Personally, I would not pay a penny over sticker, but I know some folks will. Maybe some are idiots. Maybe some make well into 6 figures, want the car right now, and are willing to pay to be the first on the block to have one.

One year from now, there will be plenty of Challengers out there, the new Camaro will be the latest musclecar, and you’ll be able to get a Challenger at a discount. I love capitalism.

Just my thoughts, I might be missing something, and it wouldn’t be the first time.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM

MSRP stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price but some dealers think its Manufacturers Sucker Retail Price when they add on their mark-up..
Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM

This is an e-mail exchange I had with a salesman in Texas. The 3rd and 4th e-mail should explain everything HAHAHAHAHAHA. I hope I pieced it together well enough to follow. I left the dealer name in the header but not the salesman's name.

1st e-mail
Price 65K

Response: Ignored it

2nd e-mail
Subject: Me again Texas!! " 08 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 " PRICED REDUCED!!
To:
Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 7:09 PM

Response: Not now thanks, let me know when it drops to $42,000.

3rd e-mail
Subject: Good Morning " 08 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 " Order your own 2009
To:
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 9:31 AM
I understand, the Numbered Challenger's are bringing a premium, same as a numbered painting and such these Hot Rods will Appreciate not depreciate. Would you order a 2009, I'm taking order's for the new model year. The full aray of color's are available including the old Dodge B5 Blue, along with your choice of three Powerplant's 3.5 V6 250 HP SE Trim, the 5.7 375 HP Hemi R/T, and of course the MONSTER! 6.1 Hemi 425 HP SRT-8 available w/the Standard Tranny in '09.
Please go to Dodge.com to view all the configuration's and colors and stuff.
God Bless You & Your's,

Response:I beg to differ with your assessment of the current and future value of the 'Numbered Challenger's'. There are numerous 2008 Challengers on ebay that haven't met the reserve and are reasonably priced in the low 40's.
Yes, I will be ordering a 2009 Challenger but not from Ragland. I would be truly uncomfortable with ordering from a dealership that is trying to sell me a car for more than $20,000 over MSRP when other dealers are selling the same car slightly above MSRP.
Thank you for your time.

4th e-mail
Didn't mean to offend, those Dealer's must have more than one..What I didn't know or understand was that this 1st "go-round" when a dealer ordered a Challenger, they have to agree to purchase about $13,000 worth of tool's, thats why on the first ones sold there was a "market adjustment".

I didn't have knowledge of this until Mr. Ragland informed me.

Be Blessed,

Response: Ignored it

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Wow, so you pay for the dealership's new tools?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm with you guys on the gouging dealers, I think they should be flogged incessantly within inches of their lives.

BUT...

What really burns my biscuits even more are the people who actually pay for the extra gouging and make it all possible in the first place. If these morons who "just gotta be the first on their block to have one" didn't pay these outrageous "adjusted dealer market" fees, they wouldn't exist.

So, you see, my beef isn't really with the gouging dealers. It's with the people who make it possible. Make sense?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:17 PM

I stopped in a dealer yesterday that had two Hemi orange cars. No sunroofs. They wanted 5k over. When I told him that they were selling on ebay for list, he laughed @ me and said that they would sell them to left coast dealers if they couldn't sell them here. Now I am the one laughing. He said they have had them for two weeks.

These guys dont seem to understand the economy is in the tank and the general public has no intrest in a car that gets what, 12-14 mpg? I hope Chrysler llc stays in business long enough for me to get my 09 R/T! lol

When I told him I had a 09 on order and was purchasing for invoice, he said "yeah we will be selling 09's down to MSRP."

I found me a good dealer and salesman, same guy i bought my Daytona from 3 years ago, so there is @ least one dealer who gets it.

Quick Reply: Funny call from dealer!