Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Just made my deposit

Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headed to make my deposit - in AZ

The Challenger will sell, not for what the market will bare, the Challenger will sell for what people are willing to pay for it. And it’s not what I'm able to afford, it’s what I'm willing to pay. And I'm not willing to pay for a vehicle over sticker price, even more so a dealer mark up. It stupid to do so in my opinion, NO vehicle is worth it. And if you have extra money to just toss away, by all means toss it. I work to hard for my money and enjoy having it to much just to give it away. For example my partner just purchased a 2007 Mustang PJ 302 for 58k. In which only 500 will be made. That I can understand paying for. So why would you pay that price for a production car, when you can purchase a classic for the same amount or a limited run model.

It's not supply and demand like a home where the market jumps 120% around the state due to the influx of families needing a place to live and there are just so many homes to buy. This is a luxury item and only a demand for it because it being new. Not a necessity as to having a place to live. And when the smoke clears you will be able to walk in and make all kinds of deals. That’s when I come in and pick up the same vehicle someone paid 10k more for.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 PM

I agree the market will get determined by what people are willing to pay & the fact is there are those willing to pay over sticker. The rest of us that refuse to pay that will wait. There is no supply issue in terms of necessity because as you point out the Challenger is not really a necessity but DEMAND will drive the price in this case and with new items generating a lot of excitement that demand will dictate price. I can't say as I really blame dealers who will turn your offer away knowing that John Smith will pay a few grand above sticker.

A perfect example is when we purchased a (shudder) minivan for my three kids (added a 4th a few months ago). My wife really wanted a Honda Odyssey which is arguably one of the nicest vehicles in its class. The dealers were getting thousands above sticker and had waiting lists to boot. I got pissed and bought a Mazda MPV for under sticker. It's not a Honda but it has proven pretty comparable for about $8k less.

If Dodge dealers try to get more than is reasonable many folks will opt for a Mustang, Camaro, or some other alternative and that is the beauty of the free market...choices. I'd like to give dealerships the benefit of the doubt and hope they see the longer term implications but I think history will show they simply cannot break out of their mold which is sell now, sell now, sell now. They are so afraid to have a prospect walk off their lot because every other dealer acts the same way they know they will lose a sale. I really would love to see laws change that allow manufacturers to sell cars directly to the public. I think that would cut out a whole layer of cost and I suspect manufacturers might appreciate the long view a bit more (I could ramble on forever but I'll stop now)...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

i feel that they arent worried about challenger sales, which is why they are going to very likely come out of the gate with a price tag 10k more than a mustang GT, and near the price of the high end GT500...it seems that since daimler got involved, the prices have really gotten to be ridiculous. hell, my stratus was 26k. im not sure what i was thinking.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Waiting for a Challenger

I've been on the waitng list for about a year now. I will pay what the dealer will sell it for, gladly. I got my 300CSRT-8 in August of '05 and paid MSRP + 3k gladly. At the same time dealers here were asking and getting 15 - 20k over MSRP. It's simple supply and demand.

I'm number 1 on the list at the #3 Dodge store in the world. So yes, I will be getting one of the first ones, and yes, I will pay for more for the luxury of getting mine early. That's just the way business works. It is not gouging, it is just business.

While I would love to select color, motor, options etc, I am gonna take the first one they get. I can always add more power if it only has a 6.1!!!