Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Rumors- Who to Believe?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rumors- Who to Believe?

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

Supposedly, someone "well-connected" posted on allpar.com that the SRT Challenger, with the 6-speed manual, will have a 3.92 differential. If this is true, it will cure a weakness many of the Charger SRT guys are complaining about- gears that are too tall. Since the 6.1 is already subject to the gas guzzler tax, I don't see why Dodge would'nt put it in.
Possibly, it depends on which version of the Tremec they use. If they use the same gears as what is used in the Viper, it will in fact be taller all around. If they use the gears used in the GT500, it will be shorter at the beginning and the same at the end. If they make the right decision and use the version wikipeida claims will be used in the Pontiac G8 GT, it will provide both shorter gearing at the beginning and taller at the combined final drive ratio. The reason why we want them to have the last one is the fact that it will provide us with quicker response with acceleration and help remedy the fuel efficiency issue developed by the short relative short gearing found in the W5A580, which is a factor with our current fuel prices. Who knows with the right gearing, perhaps Chrysler might even be able to get the 6.1L out of the gas guzzler tax category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_...0_transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-56

If what they said is accurate, I'm glad they are planning on using the Chrysler built 42RLE VLP with the 3.5L. I have driven a Charger with the W5A580 and I can tell you it yields no real advantages, and the numbers run by the magazines indicate the same thing. Despite the taller gearing, the fuel economy is the same and if my memory serves me correctly, they still ran at about the same RPM. Considering that the W5A580 costs more and yields no real advantage over the Chrysler built 42RLE VLP, this should help to keep the V6 model more price competitive.

Challenger wheel sizes should run from 17" to 20", with no spare tires on any models (and no run-flats), tire service kits will be included
Why how intelligent of Chrysler? Why bother wasting such valuable space that could be used up with so much more valuable necessities such as subwoofers when we all know that tires NEVER explode to the point that a patching kit is about as useful as buying fuel without having an engine to run in it? And why bother offering a spare when EVERYONE has a cell phone and can call road side assistance which is offered in EVERY insurance plan, considering that cell phones ALWAYS have a full service no matter how far you are from civilization and that they never have problems with not successfully calling the number you typed in for the tenth time for no apparent reason?![:@]

Car companies in general, stop using ideas that the White Star Line would have came up with. There are customer entitlements, one of those is a spare tire when tires explode. A doughnut does not cost that much money and it does not weigh that much either. If customers are really that concerned about that minute amount of weight, then they should work on losing weight because that is about the difference a doughnut weighs. When I get mine, I'll be sure to get a full-sized spare.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 PM

A 20" full spare would take up considerible room in a trunk, but I have seen those goofy looking donuts that are the same diameter of the OE wheels, just a lot thinner,on some other vehicles. BMW has comparable wheel sizes on some of their later vehicles, and they seem to have no problem stuffing a full size wheel and tire way down in the trunk. Maybe the undercarriage is designed so it can't have a deep "wheel well" in the trunk due to exhaust pipe routing or gas tank being there?

I agree, a tire service kit won't help after some poor old chum drives it completely flat or even curbs it. They could at least put an inflatable spare in it like VW does on their Touareg.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another allpar tidbit that we can post to see if it comes true. Supposedly, there will be a "Trak Pack" option for the Challenger. If this is accurate, I wonder if it is the similar to the RT Performance Package that is offered on the Charger R/T?

The RT Performance Package costs $3,625 and upgrades the base R/T as follows:

29R Quick Order Package 29R RT Performance Package
Includes vehicle with standard equipment, R/T badge, 20" x 8.0" chrome clad aluminum wheels, 245/45R20 black side-wall all-season performance tires, black grille with black honeycomb, front fascia spoiler, high speed engine controller, leather wrapped steering wheel, performance seats with preferred suede, performance steering, performance suspension, dual front side air bags, front and rear side curtain air bags and rear bodycolor spoiler.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 AM

Further information regarding the Trak Pack. It consists of:

The 6-speed manual transmission with 3.92 gearing.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 AM

An inflatable spare... Wouldn't that be retro! The 70's E-bodies had one avilable -- necessary since the 'Cuda had the smallest trunk in the industry and the Challenger wasn't much bigger! I'm not sure how reliable they were, and I don't think you can get functional inflator bottles anymore, so I carry a full size 14" tire, just in case I lose one of my 15" Goodriches. I figure it's at least enough to limp home on.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM

A post on allpar.com stated that all Challengers will have the option for a sunroof. Also a convertible model will possibly appear in 2010.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 AM

Well, it's 1 day to Thanksgiving and still no news from Dodge.

We were promised information on Challenger pricing and options. What gives?? [:@]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 AM

They said shortly after Thanksgiving partner..
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Probably on the busiest shopping day of the year. We shall see.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned

I can't wait to see the next update. I'm looking forward to this beast quite a bit. Hopefully it'll be good news when it's announced.

Quick Reply: Rumors- Who to Believe?