Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What do you think Challenger will cost?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you think Challenger will cost?

ORIGINAL: wallstreetman

News flash, the company would not even exist if it were'nt for money! How many Not- For- Profit car companies(besides GM and Ford) do you know of?
Precisely! One of the multiple problems GM and Ford is they over produce and can't charge the right price for most of these cars. GM and Ford for years have had this silly philosophy to constantly under sell your competition is the path to success. It isn't. Their problem is KIA and other Korean manufactures are able to undersell them. KIA and Hyundai now have an image thanks to J.D. Power that they are no longer junk (even though they still are junk). Toyota and Honda are charging a lot more for their cars because they have a more positive image and they continue to have more and more sales.

Ford is only getting the profit margin because it is the only car in its class. They are able to sell the Mustang for a lower price due to the fact that the Mustang is cheaply built because it is a car full of left over technology and parts. That 4.0L SOHC engine does not have a very good reputation with quality, nor does the new 5-speed automatic which they are using. The 4.6L in the GT is only now able to compete with the F-body twins from 98-02. Even the GT500 only gets a detuned version of the engine in the Ford GT.

Looking at how DCX is doing business vs. GM and Ford. I'm not going to criticize DCX because they are not close to bankruptcy like GM and Ford are. Also another thing to remember. Dodge might cost more but they at least update their cars a lot more and do a better job when they do. My relatives have a '94 Mercury Grand Marquire and the interior is very similar to their current interior, and the Mustang 99-04 had the same interior as the Mustang from 94-98 which borrowed from the Thunderbird. What you pay for is what you get. Also remember that Dodge is not meant to compete against Ford or Chevrolet, it is supposed to compete with more premium performance brands. Plymouth was made to compete with Ford and Chevrolet.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM

My Uncle works for Dodge, and said the base price for an 08 Challenger will be around $28,000 - $30,000 if it is produced in high numbers.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM

What does he do for Dodge? My brother in law is the marketing director for a Phoenix & Tucson based dealership (with many different car lines including Dodge) and he said the sales guys are already buzzing about the interest in Challenger. Sounds like they think they will get a healthy premium above MSRP for the 1st year at least. He had no idea about base price though because they do not really know what models will get produced yet.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 PM

I'm not exactly sure of everything he does. He said he knows a lot about the Challenger that he isn't really supposed to tell anyone. I don't want to mention names and get him in trouble. But there is a lot that he know's that he wont even tell me about.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:25 PM

Well, I hope he is right. I suspect that a Challenger in the $28-30k range would have a six cylinder under the hood. I would think (and I agree with others who have made similar comments) that the pricing should follow the Charger somewhat. I have to think the 5.7L would be low to mid 30's and a 6.1L mid to high 30's. Of course, I think most agree that the 1st year release carries an dealer markup over MSRP due to the excitement. If six cylinder models were produced alongside a couple V-8 options right from the start I think that might help depress the premium dealers will try to get.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 AM

I hope my Uncle is right too. But he said they still aren't sure exactly what is going on, But here is the information he gave me. Before you read it, Understand that some of it is just rumors, and some isn't confirmed yet. So don't take it as word quite yet...

I asked my Uncle about how many would be made. I asked if the 30,000 was true. He said no. He said that Dodge is most likely going to produce this car in high numbers and that they have told the public it will be limited production to gain more interest in the car. If people think it will be limited production, Everyone will go out and buy one as soon as they come out. Well thats what he told me.

I asked about engines. He said they are working on a V6, similar to the one offered in the Charger, and it might be the same. Also a 5.7 Hemi, a 6.1 hemi, and possibly a new 7.1 Hemi to compete with the Mustang GT500.

The body style of the car is going to be almost exactly as the concept. Interior will be changed with chrome gauges and alluminum inserts.

Colors?? He said a few retro colors including Sublime, Hemi Orange, Panther Pink, and Plum Crazy Purple should be offered along with regular color choices.

This is all the information that he gave me. Don't take it as word yet.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

This is an interesting philosophy on getting people to believe that there is a limited quantity but it may work. Of course, many will not pay that much if is much greater than MSRP.

I would love to see the old retro colors driving around town.

A 7.1L that would be awesome......I wonder what the horsepower rating would be and what the final weight of the car is?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bored out

They put gm out of the muscle car business
i dont know, the Corvette z06 and the camaro concept (coming out around the same time as the challenger) they may some life left in them. If the rest of their cars were only as good (06 monte carlo is sad to me)[&o]
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote from RLSH700

I hate to break it to you but the purpose of business IS to make a profit. There is no other purpose for a profit organization. There is a solution to your problem if you can't afford what you want. Work at making more money.
Yes, I understand what a profit organization is. Your clearly not understanding what I am trying to say that there is a difference in making a profit and trying to soak every penny out of a customer. I'm talking about Greed and I'm saying that I hope DCX does not get to greedy with the Challenger price.

Secondly, to twist my statements about greed and price in previous post to me not being able to "afford what you want", is flat out rude. Of course you do not know me so your just making a statement based on what I said earlier. Thanks for telling me what I need to do "Make more money". I'm a bit surprised to see this type of post coming from an administrator. I know that posts can be taken out of context but your statements were just ignorant. Maybe you should reasses what you say to others who are just having a friendly conversation / debate!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

Quote from RLSH700

I hate to break it to you but the purpose of business IS to make a profit. There is no other purpose for a profit organization. There is a solution to your problem if you can't afford what you want. Work at making more money.
Yes, I understand what a profit organization is. Your clearly not understanding what I am trying to say that there is a difference in making a profit and trying to soak every penny out of a customer. I'm talking about Greed and I'm saying that I hope DCX does not get to greedy with the Challenger price.
I understand that, I was trying to point out to you that you shouldn't use Ford's pricing and management of a corporation as an example because they are currently struggling. It appears to me that the Challenger will be more expensive to build than the Mustang because it contains higher quality parts. My point is just because it is higher priced, doesn't mean it is sign of greed. Even if they do charge a higher price than it really costs, it is a simple issue with supply and demand.

I want them to charge a price that will be both profitable for them and affordable for myself, because if it is not profitable, they will not make it and I will lose my chance of getting future models as a result. I think you have a victim mentality coming through with this complaint about being greed. Remember, the door swings both ways.
[/quote]
Secondly, to twist my statements about greed and price in previous post to me not being able to "afford what you want", is flat out rude. Of course you do not know me so your just making a statement based on what I said earlier. Thanks for telling me what I need to do "Make more money". I'm a bit surprised to see this type of post coming from an administrator. I know that posts can be taken out of context but your statements were just ignorant. Maybe you should reasses what you say to others who are just having a friendly conversation / debate!
I don't see how I "twisted your statements." I pointed out that you rounded up the price of the bone stock Charger quite a bit to try to make the cars look more unfairly priced. I was trying to help you understand that in comparison to cars it competes with, it isn't such a bad deal.

If you want more examples, I will give them to you. The Ford Five Hundred SE is roughly the same price as the bone stock Charger and it doesn't have traction control. It has 47hp & 43 ft-lbs of tq less. It has a CVT which tends to be a problem and the 6-speed auto in the Five Hundred has had some issues as well.

The Pontiac Grand Prix costs roughly the same and has 50 less hp & 20 ft-lbs of tq and one less gear ratio bone stock also doesn't have traction control. The Charger is significantly safer than the Grand Prix and has much better interior.

I also believe you misunderstood what I had said. I believe what you think I was implying was "you aren't working hard enough." That is NOT what I meant. What I meant was if you can't afford something you want, then look into new ways to make more money so then you can afford it. I was problem solving, trying to give you some advice. The simple fact is complaining over and over again about the price on here isn't going to solve anything, and before you twist this statement I'm not saying you can't express yourself.

Your constant accusations of DCX of being so greedy doesn't make for a "friendly debate." If you think I am not a fair Moderator, then I suggest you check out other forums. I'm probably not going to win the Moderator of the Year award (if it existed), but I am a lot nicer than some. In your statement, you have accused me of being rude, you have accused me of twisting your statements, and you have implied that I am ignorant. One of my jobs is to respond to people's remarks and contribute. Sometimes I am supposed to play "Devil's Advocate,

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: What do you think Challenger will cost?