Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   What is the expected price for the Challenger? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/what-expected-price-challenger-1441/)

SkillzDatKillz 06-22-2007 12:37 PM

RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

ORIGINAL: WhiteHeat

I agree with you, awsure. He comes here asking a simple question and gets called a "know it all" and an "obviously spoiled child." The fact that he withstood two days of this before responding to the attitude in-kind shows me more patience and self-control than any other 15 year-old I know. Those are qualities that bode well for a responsible driver.

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions that were offered here. I hope he takes them to heart. But if you don't think you've been "piling-on" him, just take a look at the thread title and count how many posts actually are on-topic.

Heat

I needed that..

markfromaurora 06-28-2007 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: wallstreetman

BTW, The Challenger will sell in the $50,000 range the first year!
Maybe the srt-8... the r/t will for sure be no more than low 30's plus tax

Puthy 06-29-2007 06:19 AM

they wont be able to compete with any of the other market (chevy/ford) if they put a huge price tag on it. Lets be frank here challenger is "CHANCING" people are going to luv the new car and take it into there hands and spend there hard earned cash on it. Chevy/ford KNOW people will buy there car no doubt about it. I used to be so nervous of what the challenger is going to cost im pretty laid back about it now. I don't think it will be as outrageous as people make it out to be.

73Cuda340 06-29-2007 11:29 AM

For the record, I ordered and bought my spanking new 73 'Cuda 340 when I was 14 years old and if I recall correctly I paid a whopping 3642 for it (thanks dad!). It was basically parked for a year and a half except for dad taking it to work now and again and then I drove it for two years when I turned 16. Then at 18, I had the car parked for twelve; life got in the way, school, service, wife etc. Not all kids are bent on self destruction.

But I digress, back on topic. I do not recall who said it, but I agree, Chrysler is taking a chance we will buy this beauty. If they price it too high, the people willing to buy the first year will be low. If the price is competitive, there is still the Mustang and all the other increasingly powerful cars out there including the many road hugging, adrenaline pumping foreign cars like the BMW 5 series, gosh did I just say that?

I know I am buyuing one, but I am not going to be stupid with my pocket book, just like I "try" not to be stupid about my life. (Of course there is always the occasional need for a healthy push on the accellerator 8^)) ehh haaa. )

-Phil

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 02:20 PM

Well guys, I'm coming back just to talk about the new Challenger because it's got me excited, but I already got my car.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1650/2148so5.jpg

Jeremiah 29:11 08-04-2007 03:06 PM

So are you excited because you will sell your Mustang and upgrade to a Challenger.

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 03:31 PM

TBH man..I love my Stang. I just don't think the Challenger is worth what I have heard they are going to be asking, which is in the 50's. The highest my parents would go is around 35-40. I'm very happy with my Stang though. Plus I'm sure insurance with the Challenger is horrible.

jdb840 08-04-2007 04:02 PM

Congrats on the new mustang. I wish you would've held out of the challenger though, but it was your choice!!

Good luck and be safe

JB

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 04:41 PM

Thanks man, do you like the Stang? The Challenger is nice, but the price is a little steep, and insurance would be insane. My choice basically came down to a Charger or a Stang.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-04-2007 05:33 PM

That Mustang is actually very nice. My son has one just like it.....black Mustang GT 2006 and all.

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 05:34 PM

Nice car, an't it? I love it..I love muscle cars in general though. No hate on the Challenger, I just don't think it's going to be worth it's price tag.

Billionaire 08-04-2007 05:38 PM

When you guys say that a car with this much power can easily get away from you, exactly how do you mean that would happen? For example, if you accidentally pressed too far down on the gas pedal, would it accelerate so fast that you'd rear-end another car before you got the car under control again? I for one never tailgate and I never drink and drive. The only serious accident I've had was when it was raining at night and I couldn't see the other car. I love this car but I don't want to die for it.

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 07:02 PM

I think that it would be possible with any car with as big a engine as this car has. Of course there is the smaller engine with the V6 if that worries you..

SkillzDatKillz 08-04-2007 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

A charger is a pretty big car..and it's not like im racing. I figured the charger would be one of the more safe cars for a person my age.
If you want a safe car for someone of ANY age, get a Volvo. Yeah, I know - the image thing.
The Charger IS a safe car - we got my wife an R/T last spring. It's also a very powerful car (even the 3.5L V6) - one that could easily get away from ANYONE, let alone someone with little/no driving experience in traffic. And yes, it's listed as a large sedan. Size alone doesn't make it safe, nor does it keep you from making poor decisions. The operator behind the wheel makes a car safe or unsafe through the decisions he/she makes.

If the operator behind the wheel makes the car safe or unsafe through there decisions as you said, then why would it matter what car I got?

I'll get one reguardless..
I knew it all when I was your age too - now my kids know it all and they think I'm a horse's @$$. LOL! If they only knew HALF of what I've forgotten! AND if only I listened to the people that offered ME sound advice when I was thier age, I'd have saved myself a lot of pain, inconvenience, time and money.

I can't imagine why your kids don't like you..:D

BootCamp 08-05-2007 05:37 PM

My kids are learning the way I did. If they want something bad enough, they'll work to get it. They appreciate it more that way. When it's THIER time, energy, effort, sweat, and blood invested in something, they tend to take better care of it - because they know what's involved in EARNING it.
I don't recall saying they didn't like me, but that's the kind of assumption I'd expect from a someone your age who's never worked a full-time job, never provided for a family, and never sacrificed of himself to make sure his family had what they need. What I said (in so many words) was "they think they know it all", just like you!
It's comical how people can be brash when behind the comfort and security of a computer monitor, but stand them face to face with the person they're being bold with and the tone changes rapidly.
Several of us were trying to give it to you "honestly". We have years of life experience and hard work. We've made the mistakes you haven't yet. I'm not sure why we were trying to steer you in the right direction, though.......we should have known you'd have none of that. [sm=headbang.gif]

My kids have everything they need, MOST of what they want, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, they have the strength of character and the ability and experience to support themselves (without my financial support) because of the lessons I've taught them, not the things I've bought them. That's something money can't buy.
I'm charged as a Christian Father to teach my children how to live, not sate thier worldly desires. That would only serve to turn them away from God and make them spoiled brats.

Matthew 19:24 ......Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Luke 16:13 .......No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Now, isn't it time to scoot on over to a "Mustang" forum? [sm=hiya.gif]

SkillzDatKillz 08-05-2007 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

My kids are learning the way I did. If they want something bad enough, they'll work to get it. They appreciate it more that way. When it's THIER time, energy, effort, sweat, and blood invested in something, they tend to take better care of it - because they know what's involved in EARNING it.
I don't recall saying they didn't like me, but that's the kind of assumption I'd expect from a someone your age who's never worked a full-time job, never provided for a family, and never sacrificed of himself to make sure his family had what they need. What I said (in so many words) was "they think they know it all", just like you!
It's comical how people can be brash when behind the comfort and security of a computer monitor, but stand them face to face with the person they're being bold with and the tone changes rapidly.
Several of us were trying to give it to you "honestly". We have years of life experience and hard work. We've made the mistakes you haven't yet. I'm not sure why we were trying to steer you in the right direction, though.......we should have known you'd have none of that. [sm=headbang.gif]

Please don't even start with the "My kids earn there stuff" thats not even what this thread is about. I didn't ask "What do you think of my dad getting a Mustang, would you buy me one" I assumed someone that posted regularly and at your age could mind his own business and give some advice on the price range. Sadly you have to wonder off into different topics and yell brat, because thats your only defense. And you act like I wouldn't say this to your face or something? You have your own kids and yet your talking about how a 16 year old would be afraid of you? Wow, very nice, sounds to me like you are realll tough.

My kids have everything they need, MOST of what they want, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, they have the strength of character and the ability and experience to support themselves (without my financial support) because of the lessons I've taught them, not the things I've bought them. That's something money can't buy.
I'm charged as a Christian Father to teach my children how to live, not sate thier worldly desires. That would only serve to turn them away from God and make them spoiled brats.

Okay....This has what to do with the pricing of the challenger? Oh, right, you still haven't came back to topic..

Matthew 19:24 ......Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
Luke 16:13 .......No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

K.

Now, isn't it time to scoot on over to a "Mustang" forum? [sm=hiya.gif]

I said I am staying here just to learn a bit more about the car, who are you to try to tell me where I should be? You really have no idea how a forum works, do you?

cncpt2prod! 08-06-2007 11:43 AM

Hey Skillz - You're going to be hating it when you see everyone posting their new Challengers in a few months! Great looking Stang, though!

joeyr 08-06-2007 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: SkillzDatKillz

Well guys, I'm coming back just to talk about the new Challenger because it's got me excited, but I already got my car.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1650/2148so5.jpg
Nice mustang. Hope you enjoy it. What color interior is that? dark brown, tan or red. I cant tell.

Cuda340 08-19-2007 10:41 AM

If the 2008 or 2009 Challenger comes in a 6.1 R/T (instead of a 5.7) would you guys buy it or, r spend the extra dollars to get a 6.4 SRT? If you would buy the 6.4, how much more money do you think you would have to spend over the 6.1? $10,000??

georgejetson 08-20-2007 10:40 AM

On the off chance that anyone still cares about the original poster's question, the current 'insider' rumor is that a 6.1 R/T will cost about what a Mustang GT vert costs, or around $31k...

Paladin06 08-20-2007 10:43 AM

If that is true I'll buy two, a His and Hers..

Jayhawk 08-20-2007 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: georgejetson

On the off chance that anyone still cares about the original poster's question, the current 'insider' rumor is that a 6.1 R/T will cost about what a Mustang GT vert costs, or around $31k...

Has the "insider" looked at the sticker on the SRT8 Charger? The one I saw was around $45K. I would think the Challenger is going to be north of that.

tdub2112 08-20-2007 04:24 PM

I'm thirteen and if the old man gets a challenger i would, till im 19, have him right next to me in the passenger seat.
for now i'll just shoot for his 84' Vette.:)

HXC Performance 08-20-2007 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Jayhawk

ORIGINAL: georgejetson

Has the "insider" looked at the sticker on the SRT8 Charger? The one I saw was around $45K. I would think the Challenger is going to be north of that.
Its obvious the base Hemi Challenger will be much less than the SRT8 Charger.. "Under $31,000" came out of DCX a long time ago.. and many of the "insiders" real or not, all believe the same thing (on multiple forums).

The question remains, will the "Under $31,000" be the 5.7 or 6.1?

My guess.. $30,999 will get you a 6.1 Hemi Challenger.

The 2009-2010 SRT Charger, Magnum, 300, Challenger are all rumored to be getting the new 6.4 (392) with over 500hp.

They wouldnt release a 5.7 Challenger for late 08, then a 6.1 for 2009-2010.

I think we'll see the 6.1 Hemi in 2008.. then a 6.4 SRT sometime in 2009.

1 Bad Mirada 08-20-2007 04:47 PM

im so sick of all of the rumors that have no basis...

there is nothing, at all, obvious about the thought of the challenger being priced much lower than the srt8 vehicles, unless it has the 5.7L in it...dodge isnt going to undercut themselves on a low production model.

its not about anything but making money. they currently sell 3 cars with the 6.1...and the price of those range from 38 to 45 thousand...you really think that DCX is going to undercut itself that much? MANY people buy the charger because of the name and the power...the already likely low production challenger isnt going to be a bargain car...the "rumors" that came out long ago stated that the entry level would be 31,000...i could see that with the 5.7, as it would be along the lines, both in power and price, as the current RT models...slightly more than the 300hp mustang GT.

cncpt2prod! 08-20-2007 06:00 PM

With those prices for the big ones, I'll gladly take a 5.7L manual RT!

Jeremiah 29:11 08-20-2007 06:23 PM

I am not for speculation either. We did some of it over a year ago. I would suggest we not waste any more time until we here some actual numbers
from an official source.

1 Bad Mirada 08-20-2007 06:37 PM

we are prepared to pay 300C srt8 prices for a 6.1L powered challenger...if these rumors are right and it only costs me 31g for a 6.1L challenger, that would be AWESOME..but im not getting my hopes up...i used to work for dodge...:eek:

HXC Performance 08-20-2007 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

we are prepared to pay 300C srt8 prices for a 6.1L powered challenger...if these rumors are right and it only costs me 31g for a 6.1L challenger, that would be AWESOME..but im not getting my hopes up...i used to work for dodge...:eek:
Read my previous post again.. WHY would they release a 5.7 Challenger to only have it replaced by a 6.1 in 16-18 months... If they want to do 3 Challenger Models.. fine. But the current trend at DCX is "Base Hemi" / "Performance Hemi"

The new 6.4 (392) is very real.. its happening very soon.

The Charger, Magnum, 300 SRT will get the 6.4 SOON.. they will not build a 5.7 Challenger base, with a 6.4 SRT.. What exactly do you think is expensive.. its new body work on a platform which will be used on all future Magum, Charger, 300.. and probably a few other new vehicles (Chrysler Sedan).

425hp, 6.1 Challenger.. for $30,999.. is not that crazy of an idea.. its an AMERICAN car.. we've known for years that our build and engineering standards are far below european and asian standards... I have no problem thinking that an AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR was much cheaper to produce than a $35,000 Mitsubishi Evo / Subaru WRX STI.

1 Bad Mirada 08-21-2007 09:29 AM

so you think that with the flagship performance model viper, having 600hp...and costing only 83,000 (recently released new viper price)...that they are going to make an "affordable" 500+hp challenger, with the 6.4? the 500-ish horsepower challenger, if priced under 50,000 will steal sales from the already low sales viper...

youre familiar with dodges current pricing tables, right? my STRATUS was 26,000...for a loaded FWD, 200hp model. the current charger SXT, with 250hp...and NO OPTIONS, is over 27,000...you think that the challenger with a 425hp 6.1L hemi is going to cost only slightly moe than the charger SXT...i could easily see a 5.7L hemi challenger, with cloth interior, etc...costing that much, but youe being way too hopeful with your pricing guesses...especially considering dodge reps have commented that we can expect the challenger to be priced similar to the charger, model for model. it makes no difference what it costs to produce the vehicle...it matters what they are trying to achieve with the car, and nothing that ive read from chrysler suggests that they are trying to make a bargain racer. chrysler is already having problem selling cars, and there has never been a single piece of evidence to suggest that we will see a 6.4L engine in a production model any time soon...if there was ANY evidence of them putting the 6.4L into the SRT models any time soon, i may consider agreeing with your theory, but there just isnt. selling the challenger for 31,000 with the 6.1L would slaughter the already poor sales number of the SRT8 vehicles.

wallstreetman 08-21-2007 10:52 AM

Dream on! Last I checked, dealers are the ones that sell the cars and with the excitement they are seeing, they estimate they can get between 50 and 60 thousand! I have talked with many, some have even said it could hit 70.

RoswellGrey 08-21-2007 11:06 AM

This all gets back to one point: Why would anyone EVER pay 1 cent over MSRP? Let the $70,000 Challengers sit in the showrooms and after a few months, we'll be buying $31,000 Challengers.

1 Bad Mirada 08-21-2007 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

This all gets back to one point: Why would anyone EVER pay 1 cent over MSRP? Let the $70,000 Challengers sit in the showrooms and after a few months, we'll be buying $31,000 Challengers.

because old men who dont have the balls to drive the car like it SHOULD BE DRIVEN will buy them just to stick them in their garage as "collectors items"...but theyll be dead before the car is worth anything.

RoswellGrey 08-21-2007 11:20 AM

Well, Mirada, hopefully there aren't too many people like that. Again, I think anyone who pays over MSRP -- actually even MSRP -- just to have a really new vehicle is crazy. Look at the PT Cruiser. When they first came out, dealers were getting $5,000 to $10,000 markups. Now, who cares about those cars? The "wow factor" of having people gape at my shiny new car isn't enough for me to shell out any extra dough. Cars are expensive enough already.

1 Bad Mirada 08-21-2007 11:38 AM

unfortunately, i expect to see a great many of the first run challengers going to people willing to pay a HUGE markup...if the car is going to be at all limited production in its first run, youll see the same thing that you saw with the GT500, which is morons paying 20,000 dollars to get on a list, to get one eventually...now, there are gt500s sitting on lots...

dodge had better get their ass in gear, or one of those gt500s may be scooting from the lot, into my driveway. they drove away MANY long time dodge enthusiasts, and they will force away a HUGE segment if they screw up the launch of the challenger. i currently have 7 dodge products in my driveway, but im getting tired of waiting and having to face the option of buying a "performance sedan" (no car that doesnt offer a manual transmission can be taken seriously as a performance car, imo), or paying 80,000 for a viper that costs more and is slower than the Z06.

cncpt2prod! 08-21-2007 01:12 PM

Let the mark-ups wear off. I'll wait until MSPR (or less).
I'm just a common consumer that digs the concept car; for me, the Challenger is the 2 door and the Charger is the 4 door. The Challenger should only be about $2K more than the Charger MSPR. I compare those cars to each other. Then I would compare the Challenger to the comparably equiped Mustangs... although I wouldn't buy a Mustang.

RoswellGrey 08-21-2007 01:54 PM

You're probably right, Mirada. I'm already beginning to think the '08 will be a write-off for me, cause they'll probably be so overpriced. I'll wait till '09...the same year the new Camaro comes out. You know, I was looking at one of the models of them at Wal-Mart (Johnny Lightning brand, I think). If the final produce looks like that model instead of the original concept car, I might be willing to consider one of them -- if they've got a decent price.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-21-2007 02:43 PM

Great! Sounds like many of us may be getting the 2009 version which will probably have better options available anyway.

1 Bad Mirada 08-21-2007 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

You're probably right, Mirada. I'm already beginning to think the '08 will be a write-off for me, cause they'll probably be so overpriced. I'll wait till '09...the same year the new Camaro comes out. You know, I was looking at one of the models of them at Wal-Mart (Johnny Lightning brand, I think). If the final produce looks like that model instead of the original concept car, I might be willing to consider one of them -- if they've got a decent price.
are you talking about the camaro? ive seen it in person in silver and red, hard top and drop top...i dont really care for some aspects of it. the interior is way too "blingy" for my liking..i would rather have an 02 SS...

another good point is that the challenger sales are likely to drop when the camaro comes out, forcing dealerships to deal them off the lots...

HXC Performance 08-21-2007 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

another good point is that the challenger sales are likely to drop when the camaro comes out, forcing dealerships to deal them off the lots...
Dont you think Dodge knows this?

Just another reason that we will hopefully see a $30,999 6.1 Hemi Challenger in 08.. with a 6.4 500hp SRT in 09.

You mentioned that the Challenger will cost more than the equivalent Charger; 5.7, 6.1

I agree. My main point was just that the 5.7 will probably be replaced with the 6.1 (as the Challenger base Hemi)

Base Hemi Charger = Base Hemi Challenger.. hopefully thats how they will justify the $30,999 "Low" price tag for a 6.1.

Limited or not, the Camaro is very real.. and if they want to keep people on Challenger lists for 2009 rather than picking up a Camaro, they better offer the 6.1 425hp motor for 31k

For the casual muscle car enthusiast, I imagine they would not want to wait on a 5.7 Challenger list for an extra 12 months if equally powerful Camaro's are readily available.

Another question I havent seen asked, is what motor the Camaro will get. If the base "V8" Camaro is the LS2.. 400hp.. for probably $26k, they could easily release an LS3 Camaro (430hp) for $31k. I would hope Dodge would plan for that, and release the 6.1 Hemi in the Base Challenger.

Its obvious a Camaro SS with the LS7 will happen eventually (consider that when you mentioned Challenger sales hurting the Viper.. Camaro SS / ZO6.. same motor eventually?)

I'd buy a Viper for the look, not the performance differences between it and the Challenger. You could put a 600hp Viper motor in the Challenger.. but it still wont have the look of the Viper.

Anyways.. I see Chevy releasing a roughly 26-30k LS2/LS3 Camaro.. 400-430hp (maybe both). Dodge would be smart to use the momentum of the 2008 model to drive 2009 pre-orders. If you get 20,000 people to pre-order a $31,000 425hp 6.1 Hemi 2009 Challenger.. theres 20,000 sales potentially stolen away from the Camaro.