Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   What is the expected price for the Challenger? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/what-expected-price-challenger-1441/)

Jeremiah 29:11 08-25-2007 02:15 PM

RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

We have spy shots, insider information, magazine articles, press releases, news articles, rhumors ........ but no facts, because we have no production cars to physically put our hands on. Until it reaches full production and the cars are available for sale to the public and we can measure wheelbase, legroom, weigh them, etc., ALL of our threads about the Challenger are sheer speculation based on the tid-bits Chrysler LLC has given us (with an eyedropper), and any other sources we "personally" put any stock in.
You have some good points but let me tell you my thoughts. Yes, we have seen the Concept but now some spy shots. We at least have some indication of what it might look like and yes it does appear that the "B" pillar will exist. We also have heard their design philosophy and the comments that the "production will look very close to the concept".

We have talked about price for the last 18 months and we know nothing at all. Let's just say, that we think it might cost between $30K to $50k for various versions and for simplicity sake let's not talk about the pricing gouging that will go on initially. Okay, so say that is a $20K delta so that means you have 20 choices in the prices range. That is a lot of choices for for all the different versions of a Challenger that we do not even know yet. To me that is a waste of time, but you may enjoy yearself with that. There are just to many variables on the price and versions of the car.

What if they told you that they had 20 versions of the body style that they were going to choose from and you had no idea what they were thinking they might do. I would give up and go look at another car that I know I for sure liked the looks of.

I would much rather know that we are going to have a V-6, 5.7L, 6.1L, 6.4L with automatic and manual that were for sure going to be done. Now with that knowledge
we can better extrapolate prices. Right now we know nothing. I have oversimplified all of the different variables on this car but I think you know what I am trying to say.

Lets get more data, then let's talk price.

I would hope that we know more at SEMA but before Chicago about the various versions they will do, but I am not holding my breath because for the last couple of years
that have been as secretive as the CIA.

Honestly, I think most of the younger crowd on this forum will not be able to get a 1st year Challenger because it will be overpriced and that is sad.
They only way most they will get one is in the 2nd year with a V-6. Keep in mind I am talking about affording one by living within their means.

ie. I have heard several younger people that own a VIPER but don't own anything else......that is even sadder.

RoswellGrey 08-25-2007 02:34 PM

I have heard several younger people that own a VIPER but don't own anything else......that is even sadder.
A Viper? Are you kidding? At one desperate point in my life, the ONLY thing I owned was my already-4-year-old 1970 Challenger -- which to me was a "new" car. Damn. Wish that a Viper would have come back through a time warp and I could have afforded it. :D

Jeremiah 29:11 08-25-2007 02:39 PM

I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

What I was trying to say is that I have seen young married couples and the guy owns a VIPER and the couples suffers trying to make ends
meet because of it. In other words the VIPER is the most important thing to him and he has to have it and can't afford anything else for him or his wife.

RoswellGrey 08-25-2007 02:52 PM

No, when I was at that point, I was strictly on my own. I couldn't afford anything else for myself, let alone anyone else. But I still had a fine time with the Challenger. :)

cncpt2prod! 08-25-2007 04:18 PM

Unless an insider posts some reliable tips on pricing, trying to guess where Dodge will set the price on this car is tough (given what we know).
Kinda technical, but here's why I think guessing correctly is difficult... Obviously, Dodge's objective is to maximize profits from the car. Dodge will generally select one of two basic pricing strategies... (1) low price (high volume sales), or (2) high price (low volume sales). They will pick the staregy that gives them the highest return on their investment. Selecting the right strategy takes into consideration...price, demand for the car, per unit costs, per unit profit margins and other bean-counter variables:eek:. It's tough to come up with the right mix of variables that will put the most money in the bank. And generally, they only get one chance to get it right![:-]
From the speculations I've read on this thread, my guess is we are in the right ballpark. They already got the low-volume high-margin Viper. I don't think it's in the Vet market. It's better than the Charger (but different). I think they will be swimming in the same pool with the Mustang and Camaro. I think the three of them will be going at it on price (after the novelty/gouging of the Challenger wears off). But again, really tough to speculate without some reliable tips.

davecpa 08-25-2007 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

ORIGINAL: davecpa

ORIGINAL: awsure

Huh? The company sold for this price because that's all it's worth. As painful as it is to admit Daimler dumped a lagging business unit because they had no confidence left in it. The real cost to Cerberus is not the purchase price but the cost to turn the ship around. They will FAR outspend that 7B over the next couple years.

I am obviously not picking up on the facetious tone of your post cause it's late & I am getting sleepy.
Dude you are right it was a joke. Yes i know i should keep my day job. I just dont take anything i read on this site to serious. Like my mama always said "The proof is in the pudding"... ie we shall all know in about 6 months what the price really is, unitl then i am not worried at all about it. But i do know we will look back at Mr. Wallstreets $70k number and say"what was he smoking?" I also think that if Cerberus does not turn the company around they will sell it to another car company such as Ford... omg... then they can make chally-stang auto
in red, amen!

as for the comments in blue, i think that with the initial markups, we very well may see challengers going for that, which is ridiclous...but it happened with the 40,000 GT500, and i would go so far as to say that the release of the challenger is bigger news than the release of the GT500.

comments in green...with the way that the labor unions are running every business in this country into the ground, the eventual solution to keep up with the less expensive and often more reliable overseas automakers will be a huge american firm, comprised of the big 3 working together. either that, or we will see things like nissan buying GM, toyota buying chrysler, etc...i dont know who woudl want ford...:D

I am impressed with the blue and green font.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-25-2007 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

ORIGINAL: awsure

Huh? The company sold for this price because that's all it's worth. As painful as it is to admit Daimler dumped a lagging business unit because they had no confidence left in it. The real cost to Cerberus is not the purchase price but the cost to turn the ship around. They will FAR outspend that 7B over the next couple years.

I am obviously not picking up on the facetious tone of your post cause it's late & I am getting sleepy.
Dude you are right it was a joke. Yes i know i should keep my day job. I just dont take anything i read on this site to serious. Like my mama always said "The proof is in the pudding"... ie we shall all know in about 6 months what the price really is, unitl then i am not worried at all about it. But i do know we will look back at Mr. Wallstreets $70k number and say"what was he smoking?" I also think that if Cerberus does not turn the company around they will sell it to another car company such as Ford... omg... then they can make chally-stang auto
in red, amen!

as for the comments in blue, i think that with the initial markups, we very well may see challengers going for that, which is ridiclous...but it happened with the 40,000 GT500, and i would go so far as to say that the release of the challenger is bigger news than the release of the GT500.

comments in green...with the way that the labor unions are running every business in this country into the ground, the eventual solution to keep up with the less expensive and often more reliable overseas automakers will be a huge american firm, comprised of the big 3 working together. either that, or we will see things like nissan buying GM, toyota buying chrysler, etc...i dont know who woudl want ford...:D

I am impressed with the blue and green font.

I just had to act like a smart Alec.

RoswellGrey 08-25-2007 07:08 PM

And I'll be impressed if this posting goes on Page 14 of the thread. :D

ericisbacchus 08-26-2007 12:04 AM

Sorry to interject and throw this out there,
But isn't there rumor of being a retro Pontiac GTO in '09 or something?
I only bring that up because I'm curious if it would have an impact in the price of the Challenger...

davecpa 08-26-2007 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: ericisbacchus

Sorry to interject and throw this out there,
But isn't there rumor of being a retro Pontiac GTO in '09 or something?
I only bring that up because I'm curious if it would have an impact in the price of the Challenger...

Yes i think it would have an impact on prices. But it looks so far they are taking the camaro and painting it [color=#660099][size=5]blue.

[color=#003333][size=3]And probably one of our best sources on price was dodge sales.. but since he got reamed on here i have not seen him back. But i have reconsidered my comment to wallstreet and i actually agree with him.. someone will probably pay $70k for a challenger but as for myself. There is a plethora of one year old used vipers out there for around $60k.

The new GTO?----->[IMG]local://upfiles/714/3393A008CF2B43B5BB1407B9D0473704.jpg[/IMG]

1 Bad Mirada 08-26-2007 06:46 AM

i thought that GM specifically said that the "firebird" shown there was a photoshop, and they had no intention of bringing it back..?

davecpa 08-26-2007 01:46 PM

yes it looks like the firebird... says trans am on the car... but that is what makes it even funnier... the blog said it was a GTO.. anyway here is the site i got the GTO info from
http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp

Jeremiah 29:11 08-27-2007 05:18 AM

That blue Trans-Ams picture is has floating around for a couple of years.

Axel 08-27-2007 11:18 AM

Here's what I see, it all depends on what they do to determine sales and price. I have the experience in the Mustang department considering I owned both an 06 and 07. Ford saturated the market way to much and if Chrysler does the same thing, demand for the car is going to die really fast, at least for the first car brought out. People will wait until they can get this special one or that special one. Funny thing is, demand died faster then one would think. Rebates were already coming out for the 06 Mustang, 1 year later, and I was able to get my X-plan discount at the same time. They tried to feed me a line that they didn't know if they could give that to me or not, but in the end they ended up doing it.

For the first year we can expect to see gouging, but after that it's hard to say. The GT already start out at $25,840 and then you have rebates, who knows what they are going to do for the 08. It's going to be pretty stiff competition, but unless things change, Dodge has a tendency to be a little higher then the competition if you compare GT to R/T. Though it's more of a car, the R/T Charger starts at $31,315 with heavy discounts/rebates right now. More of a car, but is it really that much more? $6,000 more? If the Camaro and the Mustang are going to be around the same price and Dodge is going to keep their price that far off, I have a feeling that many people are going to be going to those two cars.

wallstreetman 08-27-2007 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Axel

If the Camaro and the Mustang are going to be around the same price and Dodge is going to keep their price that far off, I have a feeling that many people are going to be going to those two cars.

The main reason so much excitement has been created with the Mustang and Challenger is because they are RETRO, the Camaro does not fall into this catagory, it is rather UGLY at that! I would leave the Camaro out of the loop, it will not effect the Challenger price! As a matter of fact, the Mustang will be OLD NEWS and it too should not be much of a factor. I see the Challenger as standing alone!

ericisbacchus 08-27-2007 12:20 PM

This may be of only marginal significance when it comes to the price of the Challenger.

There's an ad in the paper here (in KC) from a dealership offering a new '07 Charger R/T for $23,995. They say MSRP is $32,055. Are the '08's out I take it?

wallstreetman 08-27-2007 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: ericisbacchus

This may be of only marginal significance when it comes to the price of the Challenger.

There's an ad in the paper here (in KC) from a dealership offering a new '07 Charger R/T for $23,995. They say MSRP is $32,055. Are the '08's out I take it?

Once again, MSRP DOES NOT MATTER, THE DEALER CAN SELL A CAR FOR WHATEVER THEY WANT! Unless that Charger has 2 DOORS, it will not effect the Challenger, it's been out too long!

wallstreetman 08-27-2007 01:18 PM

Also, IMHO, a Viper will not effect the price of a Challenger, they will want the Challenger because it's retro. A few of you think that all people are looking at is performance, they want this car because you can look at it and say, NOW THATS A CHALLENGER! Still there are those who will want the most powerful Challenger made!

Paladin06 08-27-2007 02:13 PM

I haven't commented on this for some time now but to quote my Father God rest his soul " if you have to keep asking how much something cost, you most likely can not afford it".

Jeremiah 29:11 08-27-2007 02:31 PM

That is a classic saying Paladin06.

Thanks for reminding me about that saying and so true.

If there is not a V-6 on that car, I bet about a 3rd of the people on this forum will not be able to afford it.

But there is nothing wrong with dreaming. After all that is what we are currently doing.

McDonald 08-27-2007 02:51 PM

But soon enough we will wake up with slobber running down the seat and a hand on the steering wheel of a challenger.

Frankie3521 08-27-2007 03:01 PM

I've got around 35k to spend..and I want an R/T..so I don't think i'll be getting a challenger...

cncpt2prod! 08-27-2007 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Frankie3521

I've got around 35k to spend..and I want an R/T..so I don't think i'll be getting a challenger...
About 2 years after it's out, I think you'll be able to find a new 5.7L R/T for well under $35K.

RoswellGrey 08-27-2007 10:39 PM

And Chrysler will probably throw in a free Chinese Cherry car with every Challenger. After all, you DO need something to drive if gas hits $8 or $10 anytime soon. :D

Axel 08-28-2007 07:10 AM

Let's see, where do we start. Can't compare the Challenger with the Charger, can't compare the Challenger with the Camaro, can't compare the Challenger with the Mustang, can't compare the Challenger with the Viper. Well then, this car should be around $100,000 because it's one of a kind car. Nothing out there that's competition with it.

Ok, the Charger is a rough comparison because it has four doors not two, but to Chrysler it's still considered a performance car, a sports car though that's taboo here and I agree, but unfortunately we don't call the shots at Chrysler. The Mustang is in the same class whether it's old or not. They have not touched anything on it because there is no reason to. What's the competition, the Charger? Is Ford really going to sit back and not release a new version of the Mustang, new body, more power, etc? Are they just going to leave it to let the Challenger and Camaro romp on it? Probably not. That competition is going to be renewed, there's just no reason for them to do anything with it now, which I can't blame them. Does no good to bring out a new car when you don't know everything about your competition does it? Of course not.

Challenger doesn't compare with the Camaro because it's not retro? I wish that would be a good arguement. They try to say that the development comes from a 69 Camaro, yeah, ok. A Chinese person designed the car which says a lot right there. We may not consider it retro, but from the people that I have heard after seeing the Transformer movie and on message boards, it seems that it's just "retro" enough for them and very "futuristic" looking to qualify as stealing sales from the Challenger. Unfortuantely this car's price and looks are going to appeal to the younger crowd which is a large portion of car sales. I would say from the 18+ category. It is a sports car, it is therefore the Challenger's competition. If you don't think so then take it off the market and see how much more the Challenger's sales would rise, if it was in a comparable price range that is.

As for the dealer selling the Charger at a lower price then MSRP, that has to do with the rebates. No, the 08 isn't out yet, I don't believe, but it doesn't have to be. The car has been out for a while and sales are dropping, that's when the incentives start coming in. The Challenger will be much the same way, but not when it first comes out. I would say a year or two after it comes out they will start doing incentives. That's how the Charger was, good luck finding any deal on it, sits out model year after model year and incentives hit.

As far as knowing the price, I do like to know the price of something I'm going to buy regardless of if I can afford it or not. Even if it was the Aveo just coming out, a car I would never own, but using it as an example. If they were announcing the Aveo and no price for it yet, I would want to know what I was going to be spending on it. I mean you have a friggin' Mini Cooper that is way overpriced. Nothing like paying $18,700 for a traveling coffin.

If I have to put this thing on a lease, the Challenger, then I just may do it to get it. Yes, I know leases suck, but just to say that I had a piece of history even for a short amount of time might just be worth it. Might being the keyword.

Axel 08-28-2007 07:14 AM

And this if for everyone who was giving the kid a hard time and doesn't think he should be driving a sports car, though I'm mixed on that. Just because you own it doesn't mean you know how to drive it.

http://www.stangbangers.com/2004_Mustang_Wrecks.htm

RoswellGrey 08-28-2007 11:02 AM

Axel, do you make audio-visual presentations for drivers ed class? ;)

Axel 08-28-2007 01:26 PM

No, but I'm working on it. lol. Actually, I got that part from my step dad. I guess he ran across some poster somewhere with a new Mustang with only 9 miles on it, or something like that, that was totaled because the driver thought he knew how to drive the thing like a mad man.

Frankie3521 08-28-2007 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!

ORIGINAL: Frankie3521

About 2 years after it's out, I think you'll be able to find a new 5.7L R/T for well under $35K.
I'm soon to be 16 like the poster of this thread..and I can't wait two years for the price to drop. It's a beautiful car..but if it gets marked up past 35-37k ill be getting a camaro or mustang.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-28-2007 02:44 PM

If you are 18 and getting a $32K, you must be making the big bucks.

What you job will you have that you can can afford that car.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-28-2007 02:49 PM

Axel, based on those pictures, there were several roll overs with those cars. The statistics show that in cars there is a 24% death rate.

I hope these guys lived from their accidents. Your life is a terrible price to pay for driving inexperience.

Frankie3521 08-28-2007 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

If you are 18 and getting a $32K, you must be making the big bucks.

What you job will you have that you can can afford that car.

I think you misread or misunderstood what I posted..But my parents are getting me the car for my 16th birthday..or really I'll have to wait a few months for its release to check the pricing..

Jeremiah 29:11 08-28-2007 04:03 PM

You are right, I thougth you said you would be getting in 2 year which would make you 18.

Now don't take this negatively because I have told this to other guys on the forum.

If you get one of the 400-500HP beasts, I highly suggest you take a performance driving class for your safety
and everybody else on the road. You could lose control and not be able to recover your car in a heart beart.

If you are fortunate, all you lost is a $32k machine and not your life. TAke a performance class.

Frankie3521 08-28-2007 04:28 PM

400 HP? Ehh...Thats too much. I hopefully can get a R/T which I believe is 350 HP? Hopefully thats around 35k...

1 Bad Mirada 08-28-2007 07:12 PM

looking back, im glad that my dad started me out in a 15 second car, and i worked my way up...

Cheekie 08-28-2007 07:45 PM

Hello

This is off the topic of the Challengers price and driving experience, could some one please tell me what a B-Pillar is?
I was looking at the spy shots of the challenger and there is a comment about a B-pillar, my thought is that it is the post behind the door between the two side windows. Can you help a girl out?

RLSH700 08-28-2007 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Cheekie

Hello

This is off the topic of the Challengers price and driving experience, could some one please tell me what a B-Pillar is?
I was looking at the spy shots of the challenger and there is a comment about a B-pillar, my thought is that it is the post behind the door between the two side windows. Can you help a girl out?
Certainly. Here is an explanation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_%28car%29 Some coupes with B-pillars do not look right due to the B-pillar.

I agree with Jeremiah, it would be a good idea for you to take performance classes Frankie3521. Also, first get used to the power of the car, do not go crazy immediately. Also please appreciate that car for what it is and treat it with respect and it will respect you. Don't abuse the power and do crazy things with it ("hey, I bet I can do this hair pin curve over 100mph). Preferably, save the power for the race track and quater mile tracks. I don't want to see what happened to some of my friends happen to you, okay?

Paladin06 08-29-2007 04:51 AM

There has been so much talk about the POSSIBLE cost of the new Challenger that I believe some have forgotten a more important issue. Forget the price of the car, you must consider if you can afford the cost of the insurance. For some of you, the younger folks mostly, the monthly cost of insurnace will exceed the cost of your monthly car payment. Again, if you worried about Gas Guzzler tax, car payments and insurance cost, this is more then likely NOT the car for you.

Remember there is what you want, what you need and what you can afford. These three are often very different!

Good luck!

Axel 08-29-2007 06:55 AM

Going from a sports car to a sports car shouldn't hurt me on my insurance to bad. Now if they found out I got that careless driving ticket, that would be a different story. Cop upset me and got away with something, gave me a reckless driving at first, but it was reduced to careless. Basically, he was doing a 40 in a 30, I took off next to him on the lights, up to the speed limit. Went around the corner with my tires wet, sprinkler system was watering the street, accelerating like I did at the other lights, and I fish tailed. I gained control of the car very quickly, but the cop came after me. He was a real jerk and I asked him if he was going to give himself a ticket and he got upset with me again and actually was spitting at that point because he was so upset. He said he was allowed to do that. Ok, whatever. Working on reporting him, but it's amazing how there seems to be no one to report this inceident to except for other cops who defend him. Anyway, on with the subject.

In my opinion I think every person here should be taking a performance driving class if they aren't out racing 400 hp cars on the professional track. 400 hp is way overkill in a car and way more then anyone will ever need. It's mainly for show at that point unless you are doing it professional or towing. No one in their right mind really knows how to control a car with that much power no matter the driving year you have behind you, unless again you've done it professionally or learned the hard way. Even in my Mustang, I would be apt to go out and take a course jumping up another 100 hp to the Challenger. Look at the professionals out there that have been killed because they knew how to handle the power, people in NASCAR come to mind, I can't imagine the people out on the streets who have that kind of hp and no experience using it. Scary stuff.

Heck, if they built Autobahns here then things would be different that's for sure. We would grow up with NASCAR on our highways, who would want to watch it then when we would be driving it ourselves. I think that people on the Autobahn though learn respect really fast for their car and the power it has. What a way to learn though.

RLSH700 08-29-2007 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

There has been so much talk about the POSSIBLE cost of the new Challenger that I believe some have forgotten a more important issue. Forget the price of the car, you must consider if you can afford the cost of the insurance. For some of you, the younger folks mostly, the monthly cost of insurnace will exceed the cost of your monthly car payment. Again, if you worried about Gas Guzzler tax, car payments and insurance cost, this is more then likely NOT the car for you.

Remember there is what you want, what you need and what you can afford. These three are often very different!

Good luck!
This is why I am waiting until I turn 25 to get one. I have considered that part of the equation. I'm a patient person, I can wait the two extra years.