Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Will they get it right? What do you think?

Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will they get it right? What do you think?

I hope DCX makes this car in big production numbers.
Keeps the prices down on some smaller engines. Not make just the big dog. Make them small sixes. Make them
automatics. Make lots and lots of them and blow away the competition in price too. This new car could do that.
That’s how the competition has done it. Now thats how DCX should also.

I want mine in purple, and have told them so. Options don't realy matter. Just make LOTS of them to pick from soon.

What do you think? Will they do this one right?

Old 02-25-2006, 11:37 PM

Default RE: Will they get it right? What do you think?

I think more so now then ever, with the announcement of the fake GOAT going bye bye, a whole new group in the target market are now possible Challenger buyers. I really believe this is a no brainer for DCX. It's just a matter of when.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:42 AM

I agree. They're not going to make this car a loser by limiting numbers or pricing it too high.There is too much market share to be gained in this segment and the timing is going to be right to capitalize on alot of this market as well. Although the sooner the better to take some potential Camaro buyers as well.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

I hope they have learned the less from their own past screw ups, like the Prowler. It was a nice car but the Corvette was faster, more fuel efficient, had a manual, and was altogether a better deal. If Chrysler wants to make a car to compete directly against the Corvette and has a classic name. They ought to us either the RoadRunner or Superbird badge and use the Viper's platform, except cut down on the engine compartment to lower weight.

purple1, I agree with you on your arguments, except it depends on what you mean by small sixes. If your definition of small sixes would be a 3.5L,3.8L, or 4.0L, then I completely agree with you; however, if you mean a 2.7L or 3.3L then I disagree. It still needs enough hp and torque at the low-end to where it doesn't damage the Challenger's performance image. Back when this car was originally built during the muscle car era, any of these engines would have been an acceptable base engine (except for the 2.7L). All of these engines produces a lot more hp and roughly equal (3.3L) or better torque (3.5L, 3.8L, & 4.0L). I don't know how much it costs to build the 3.5L, 3.8L, and the 4.0L, but I would guess the price of the 3.8L would be the least. This engine wouldn't be fast but would produce comparable power to Ford's 4.0L they offer in the Mustang, but they would need to put in a 3.55 or 3.73 rear axle for acceleration purposes, which would kill the fuel economy due the gear ratios in the A580 transmission. The 3.5L would probably be the best pick. If the 4.0L was not too much higher in building price, then they should put in the 4.0L. More low end torque and slightly higher hp.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 AM

HEY Y'ALL...
I'm a Newbie here... so, hello to you all...

As I have posted else where and I have said before...
I REALLY LIKE THE NEW CHALLENGER A LOT!
The original Challenger was a performance car that was priced at the same range of other muscle/pony cars of the early 1970s, being a moderate-higher volumed model built for the average "BLUE COLLAR" working guy/gal and not a smaller volumed limitted production high end/high priced enthusiast limitted model. MANY of us average working stiffs want a V8,budget performance variant/model of the Challenger as so there should be by its original intent.

I am concerned however from what I am hearing that only the higher end optioned models will get a V8 with the 5.7, 6.1, & possibly 6.4 liter HEMIs with only the 2.7 & 3.7 V6s going to the more spartan lower priced & mid priced ranged models. I fear that the V8 Hemi powered models will end up being in the $30,000-$40,000 range and price themselves out of being competative with the base Ford Mustang-GT which currently is right at $25,000 MSRP....

Here's hoping that they will make a very spartan model with the 340-350hp 5.7 liter HEMI V8 with solid rear axle instead of IRS to keep cost down, or offer say a 300-310 hp 4.7H.O. V8 with a solid rear axle, in the base model Challenger, competing directly at or slightly lower of a price than the base model Ford-Mustang-GT.

If DCX where smart, and if DCX wanted, They could tweak the current 5.7 liter HEMI V8 to say the 375 hp range, while offering the 425 hp 6.1 liter V8...
or even a very limited production with a 500 hp 6.4 liter Hemi...

This would give them power plants with something like this:

1. Base Challenger--2.7 V6 standard & 3.7 liter H.O. V6 @ 255-275 hp optional
2. Challenger SXT-3.7H.O.V6 standard, tweaked 4.7H.O.V8 @300-325 hp opt.
3. Challenger SE--4.7H.O.V8 standard & 5.7 Hemi V8 @ 345-375 hp optional
4. Challenger T/A--5.7 Hemi V8 standard & 6.1 Hemi V8@ 425-450 hp optional
5. Challenger-SRT-6.1 Hemi V8 standard & 6.4 Hemi V8 @ 475-510 hp optional

This would be my pricing schedule:

1. Base Challenger---basic options no frills options---$22,000-$24,000 MSRP
2. Challenger SXT--few minor power/option upgrades-$24,500-$26,500 MSRP
3. Challenger SE--more power & option/trim upgrades-$27,000-$29,000 MSRP
4. Challenger T/A--IRS & performance upgrades------$30,000-$34,000 MSRP
5. Challenger-SRT----limited production top model----$35,000-$39,000 MSRP

I would also like to see them offer a beefed up "AutoStick" tranny as an option. This would make the question about whether you want a mannual tranny or an automatic a mute point since doing so would give the buyer the best of both worlds while simplifying the options list

This would be my hope on the Challenger.
What do you think of this strategy?

Do you think this might be the best way to optimize sales & marketing of Challenger Variants successfully ????
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site sambo77! I'm going to inform you on a few different things.

1. the 5.7L HEMI costs less to build than the 4.7L engine currently does.
2. the price of a 5.7L powered Challenger could be significantly less if they get rid of a few standard luxury options that they offer with the Charger R/T standard such as leather interior, power seats, premium radio.
3. If they offer a V6 they will probably offer the 3.5L or the 4.0L. The 2.7L is underpowered in the LX cars due to having all its power at the high end, and even if they added technology such as Dual-VVT, it would still not be enough. The price for 2.7L engines is high due to the high demand for that engine for replacements in LH and Cloud cars (Stratus & Sebring sedans) due to the oil sludge problem. I would tend to doubt they would use the 3.7L. They might not have the capacity for another vehicle because they just used the 3.8L V6 in the new Wrangler, instead of the 3.7L.
4. An autostick is no substitute for a manual option. If people want a manual, they want a full fledged manual, now a autostick is a good idea to have as an option instead of a manual.
5. A modified version of a 4.0L V6 could produce 300hp. Some Japanese's manufacturers produce smaller NA engines that produce around 300 hp out of a smaller 3.5L V6. This might be less expensive.

Don't take those things listed as I'm putting your idea down. I just wanted to inform you on a few different things.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-27-2006, 04:17 PM

I thank you for the info& input...

My main concern given the info you just gave is STILL that Dodge will not make a BUDGET/VALUE leader performance V8 varriant of the new Challenger to compete price wise directly with the base V8 model of the MUSTANG-GT at an MSRP at this time of around $25,000...
I keep hearing rumors that Dodge wants to leave this job to a V6 powered varriant and will offer only the high-end V8-Hemi powered varriants at $30,000 plus as the only V8 powered models...
I think that that would be a HUGE mistake for Dodge to make and is a part of the reason that Pontiac's recently canceled GTO at a MSRP of $33,000-$35,000 did not do as well as they had hoped for because of the large price difference between it and the v8 base model Ford MUSTANG-GT at an MSRP of $25,000.

Dodge NEEDS to make a spartan V8 powered model of the Challenger near or possibly slightly below the $25,000 MSRP of the base V8 MUSTANG-GT!!!
Dodge could do this by offering a spartan Challenger varriant with a solid live axle borrowed from the RAM p/u model line vs an IRS rear, which could save probably $2500-$3500 in production cost/MSRP, put slightly smaller steal/chromed wheels whith slightly less exspensive rubber on them likewise from the existing truck line, put very limitted/simplified options/trim packages in such a spartan V8 performance varriant, AND most of all, DO NOT MAKE THE CHALLENGER A LIMITTED PRODUCTION CAR!!!,
THAT is also what helped kill the GTO!
As a rule of marketing, like the MUSTANG, IT is better to sell 200,000 units at a profit mark up of $2500-$3500 vs selling only 15,000 units with a profit mark up of $5000-$7000 like the GTO in the long run....
The MORE Challengers Dodge builds, the LESS the developemental cost of the model & production cost of each model becomes helping to lower the MSRP to the buyer...
Wanting the Challenger to be a success, I SURELY HOPE THAT DODGE SEES AND UNDERSTANDS THAT!.....

As a blue collar type I personally can not afford to pay $35,000-$40,000 vs $25,000 for a base model V8 performance car!
Neither can many others out there and that is partly why the current base V8 Mustang-GT is selling SOOOO VERY WELLL!
A surely would hate to have to hold my nose and buy a MUSTANG-GT over the car I truly want a V8-CHALLENGER!
THATS why we need a performance V8 price competative varriant of the CHALLENGER vs a higher priced limitted production model like the GTO!

DO YOU AGREE????

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE???...
Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: sambo77

AND most of all, DO NOT MAKE THE CHALLENGER A LIMITTED PRODUCTION CAR
That is my point. [sm=exactly.gif] If they make this car a limitted production run. The competition will kill sales.

If they only make a manual, they will loose sales. If the only make the 6.1L hemi they will loose sales.

And thats what it's realy all about............ He who sells the most cars wins.

DCX this could be a winner!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: [/quote]purple1[/quote]

[/quote]

That is my point. [sm=exactly.gif] If they make this car a limitted production run. The competition will kill sales.

If they only make a manual, they will loose sales. If the only make the 6.1L hemi they will loose sales.

And thats what it's realy all about............ He who sells the most cars wins.

DCX this could be a winner!

[/quote]

Thanks... LOL.... LOVE that "exactly" emotocon!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with most of your ideas sambo77, except for one. In my opinion the failure of the GTO was not so much the pricing, it was offering a car with the same styling they have been using for years. It looks almost identical to a 97-03 Grand Prix coupe, and even that borrowed from the mid-90s Grand Am. Think about it. It costs less than the Corvette, offers the same engine, has nicer interior, and costs around $10,000 less than the Corvette does, but the Corvette manages to do very well in sales despite being more expensive. I think it also is an issue with marketing. Pontiac is losing their performance image because Chevrolet is getting everything Pontiac has and it is the division that has the top sports car while Pontiac is losing the only one they have with a ricer rival being the only replacement.

The Challenger's styling is truly unique in the market. If Dodge did only make it a limited production model (which I hope they DON'T), it would probably still sell very well. However, it would be a mistake if they did that because that car has people very interested in it and wanting it badly. They could turn a much higher profit if they make it a mass production model. Having it mass produced could also increase sales of other vehicles because it would bring more people to the dealerships from the youth and performance crowd who would decide to get something more practical. It would be a mistake to limit the production because of these reasons, but even if it was a limited production model, I think they would have little problems selling it.

As for a budget leader V8 model, yes I agree they would be wise to offer the 5.7L HEMI under $30,000. They could very easily do this by striping down on the standard luxury options. The Charger and Magnum are able to sell the engine just under $30,000 and they have all kinds of luxury options. It can be lowered in price, but the chances of them doing that I'm afraid is minimal, so I'm just hopeful they will offer a V6 that will rival their V8 in power and rival their V6 in sale price.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Will they get it right? What do you think?