Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Will they get it right? What do you think?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will they get it right? What do you think?

Id like to see a no ac low to no option light back to the basics high horse low dollar musclecar. Some of us granted its a low number,all we what is a preformer no power robbing crap. like they tryed with the ACRs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34/BA07F92C42CB4B4B89CF483DD21F424E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

I think the only hope of that happening would be under the Plymouth division (which I wish they would bring back). They are trying to turn the Dodge division as a superior product so then they can have the same upscale image as Toyota and Honda, while offering the preformance image to compete against Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Pontiac, possibly BMW, and other performance imaged brands. It would be an okay idea if they had Plymouth to take over the plain car line-up. If they want to compete against Toyota and Honda, then they need to also resurrect Eagle. That way they could more directly compete against Toyota and Hondas way of doing things. They are trying to do this with Chrysler, and that is frankly a foolish idea that will cost them in the outcome.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-01-2006, 01:19 PM

I am hopeful. Given the intro that they supposedly have planned though, with the only ones available being 6.1L 6 speeds, that's getting off to the wrong start. It will be too limited if that's their plan; they may bring other versions later, it's still too early to speculate, but that's not the way to generate decent sales numbers. Given the way they bungled the Chagnum going from concept to production, it's still possible they could mess it up that way as well. We will just have to wait and see I guess.....
Old 03-02-2006, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I agree with most of your ideas sambo77,
As for a budget leader V8 model, yes I agree they would be wise to offer the 5.7L HEMI under $30,000. They could very easily do this by striping down on the standard luxury options. The Charger and Magnum are able to sell the engine just under $30,000 and they have all kinds of luxury options. It can be lowered in price, but the chances of them doing that I'm afraid is minimal, so I'm just hopeful they will offer a V6 that will rival their V8 in power and rival their V6 in sale price.

SEE,I don't think you are truly getting what I am saying about a base model "V8" performance budget minded varriant of the Challenger. THIS should be the highest volumed varriant of the Challenger! Case and point is the fact that the most popular and most sought after varriant of the MUstang IS the base "V8" model Mustang-GT! many dealerships hand to wait months to get extra units of this model after Ford put their assembly plants into "overtime" to meet PUBLIC DEMAND for a budget V8 pony car NOT the V6...

THAT is why there needs to be a budget V8 variant of the Challenger @ the same MSRP range of $25,000-$27,000 current MSRP for the base V8 model Mustang-GT !!!

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a base V6 model, BUT, WE NEED A BUDGET V8 CHALLENGER MODEL AS WELL!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 12:05 PM

I couldn't find the precise breakdown, but I have seen and heard that the V6 'Stangs outsell the V8 GTs by a fairly large margin. The GT may get the press and attention, but the bread and butter is provided by the V6 entry level version. I wouldn't expect it to be any significantly different with the Challenger.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

I couldn't find the precise breakdown, but I have seen and heard that the V6 'Stangs outsell the V8 GTs by a fairly large margin. The GT may get the press and attention, but the bread and butter is provided by the V6 entry level version. I wouldn't expect it to be any significantly different with the Challenger.
From what I have read, the reason the v6 is out selling the V8 Mustang is that Ford original marketing split was something like a 25% to 75% split v8 versus v6 split.
BUT demand was SOOO HIGH and dealers wer selling out of the baseV8 GT models that Ford had to double up on the production of the baseV8 variant of the Mustang-GT!

Now the production split is more like 40% to 60% v8 to v6 ratio.....

THAT is what I am saying....

DODGE NEEDS A BASE "V8" MODEL OF THE CHALLENGER @ THE SAME $25,000-$27,000 MSRP PRICE RANGE OF THE CURRENT BASEV8 MUSTANG-GT TO COMPETE AS WELL AS THE HIGH-END LIMITTED PRODUCTION TO COMPETE AGAINST THE HIGH-END MUSTANG-GT500/COBRA MODEL AS WELL AS THE V6 CHALLENGER VERSUS THE V6 MUSTANG AS WELL!!!

IF the Challenger is to be a TRUE economic/marketing success for Dodge, THAT is the way to DO it....
Old 03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TeeWJay426

sambo77, what TeeWJay426 has listed here is what I have always heard. I believe you didn't understand what I had meant. I meant that although Chrysler COULD make a budget V8 version of the 5.7L model without taking away from its power by removing luxury options like standard leather interior and other stuff like they have with the HEMI-equipped LX cars, but knowing their marketing strategy, they probably won't unfortuneatly. My question to you is, what is the matter with offering a V6 with enough hp & tq to rival the Mustang GT's acceleration and with the possibility of it still rivaling the Mustang V6s price tag? With Chrysler's current engine line-up the 5.7L HEMI is actually the budget V8. The 4.7L, though less powerful is more expensive to build than the 5.7L is; therefore, making that engine a budget model wouldn't work, not to mention the cost it would take to make that engine powerful enough to compete against the Mustang GT engine. Back a few years ago, Chrysler was considering to make a replacement to the Prowler called the "Howler," which offered a slightly modified 4.7L V8 and a 6 speed manual. They found that the 3.5L/42RLE match up to be faster than the that match up. It just wouldn't make sense to do this with the 4.7L V8.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 AM

I understand what you are saying BUT most people who buya base model V8 pony/muscle car like the base V8 Mustang -GT do so not only for the performance of the V8, and there would be nothing wrong with Dodge making a base performance high-output V6 that would rival the base V8 model performance wise, but many people ALSO want the deep rumble sound of a V8 as well as the performance and the perception of the performance associated with normally with a V8. THESE people, myself icluded, would rather have a base model v8 Challenger variant to compete with the base modelV8 Mustang-GT instead of a V6 Challenger. AND these same people would possibly choose a $25,000-$27,000 MSRP baseV8 model Mustang-GT over a $24,000-$26,000 V6-Challenger, or a higher end $33,000-$35,000 6.1 Hemi-V8 Challenger variant as well... Dodge will LOOSE these blue collar entry level V8-motorheads to Ford, and there is alot of us out here.... We would much rather have a base V8 Challenger, but if forced to buy this kind of un-wise "selective" marketing, we will reluctantly hold or noses and buy a base model"V8" Mustang GT....[&o]

We would rather a 5.7-V8 Hemi-Challenger to compete against a BaseV8-Mustang-GT...

WHY CAN'T or WHY WOULDN'T DODGE DO THIS????[&:]

It seems like a HUGE mistake to do otherwise to me....[:@]
Old 03-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Well look at what they just did with the Charger. Their "Premium Leather" interior was standard as well as other premium options came standard with the HEMI in the Charger. I'm afraid they are going to do the same thing all over again if they offer a 5.7L model. I just have doubts that they will price them the same. In case you haven't noticed, since Plymouth was discontinued, Dodge has become more expensive and is more luxurious. The problem is the Dodge division is not made to compete with Ford, that was Plymouth's position. Ford is a budget brand, just like Plymouth and Chevrolet are. Dodge is a performance brand with an increasing level of luxury. Dodge is probably going to be more expensive no matter what in this case. I think Dodge will offer the 5.7L V8 in their line-up; however, I doubt the price will be around the same as the Mustang GT's price. I would like it if Dodge would, I just have my doubts.

BTW, have you ever heard a 3.5L powered Charger with an aftermarket exhaust? They sound very meaty.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM

You know I think deep down where the bean counters live, DCX knows they screwed it up with the Chargnum.. Yea, they sold a few cars but the numbers pale in comparison to what they could/should have been.

Someone at DCX must know that they have a sure fire winner and could set sales records, if they just do it right. The price and options can grow but first they must flood the market. Us older guys want it all, college funds permitting, and some of the younger buyers may want to start with a V6, then trade up in a few years. I just hope they are thinking long term. There is mountain of money waiting for DCX if they just don't screw it up.

Quick Reply: Will they get it right? What do you think?