Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thinking of Getting an R/T , some input please

Old 03-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Getting an R/T , some input please

Hey guys, I'm on the verge of becoming a Challenger owner, but I have some reservations concerning the reliability. Dodge as a brand has been given really bad reliability ratings recently, so I'd like to hear your experiences with your Challenger R/T. Does the Challenger typically have better build quality than the other lower end Dodge vehicles, e.g. Avenger and Caliber? What type of problems have you encountered, how long have you owned the car, and how do you drive the car (push it to the limit or Sunday driver), as that is a big factor in wear and tear.

I'm 24 years old and this will be my first car, it will only be driven on the weekends (I take public transit to work), and I hope to keep it for a real long time. I won't be driving it like a madman either. I'm actually opting for the R/T because the SE isn't available in a manual, however, I've never owned a manual and will be learning on this car--is that a bad idea?

I love the retro styling of the Challenger, and it's relatively roomier in the back than its competitors, but don't want to sink money into a car that has problems.

I've also been considering the Mustang, which has received all types of good ratings from multiple outlets, gets better fuel economy, and may give you more bang for your buck overall. Plus, the Mustang V6 is available in a manual, which would mean a significant reduction in cost compared to the R/T. The Mustang seems like a safer purchase.

I've looked at tons of cars: Mini Cooper S, Subaru WRX, VW GTI, and the Volvo C30, but I'm something of a patriot and would ultimately like to support an American company and workers--although Dodge is owned by Fiat now.

Well I hope that gives you some insight into my car shopping process. I would really appreciate any input you guys can provide. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 PM

go with the mustang
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 AM

If you've never driven a manual before, then I would suggest buying some piece of crap hatchback to learn on than a brand new anything. If you mess up that transmission it will be one of the most costly mistakes you'll ever make.