Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

1800 miles in the Charger R/T in 4 Days

Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1800 miles in the Charger R/T in 4 Days

Just got back from our trip from upstate NY to Bristol TN and back for the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide series races.

The wife's Charger R/T performed flawlessly the entire trip. It was 1776 miles to be exact.
The mileage for the trip (including the wait to get in/out of parking, short jaunts for dinner, etc) was 25.6 mpg. That's damned good for a 345 cu in V8 with the 5 speed auto stick!
At several points we were at 26.9 mpg, but the traffic killed the overall average.

I discovered that I got better mileage when we were driving back home and I turned off the Cruise Control. I was able to manipulate the throttle more effectively manually. The difference was substantial.
So I'm thinking if I can get better mileage manually, a 6 speed manual transmission should perform/accelerate better than the 5 speed auto stick.

BTW - The weather sucked. It was cold (45 - 55 degrees F) the entire weekend, and it rained more often than not.
We still had a great time!
It was my seventh NASCAR Cup race (second at Bristol), and my wife's first. She had a blast.
Happy wife, happy life.

[IMG]local://upfiles/271/CB4C4BAFCE0C4B7C88200C7A3EFDD6A3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM

Default RE: 1800 miles in the Charger R/T in 4 Days

glad you & the Mrs. had a good time. I took my wife to her first NASCAR race last summer at the Glen. Had pit passes and the whole
deal. She liked everything about it except the prices for the food & drink at the track. Next week we're going to Mopars at the Strip.
Hope she likes it!
P.S. anybody here goin to Vegas for the show?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing that picture. Those race track are certainly huge.

Glad to hear to did some bonding with the the wife. Memories to cherish and tell the grandchildren.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM

Went to the Glen about ten years ago. Dale Earnhardt broke his clavicle the week before - and he still qualified on the pole for the Bud At The Glen race. Awesome - and I was never an Earnhardt fan. Had Hospitality Tickets at the Bud tent - Kenny Schrader back then. Had breakfast with him and the Bud girls. (Ooh la la!) LOL

166,000 fans at the Bristol race - always sold out. Hard to believe they can fit that many at a half mile track - until you're trying to get out of there after the race.

Yup, food and drink prices are high at the races, but no worse than any other professional sports venue.

We needed a break from reality. Mom stayed with the kids and we had a chance to forget our responsibilities for four days. It was a nice change - like we were dating again.
I didn't want to come back home, but she MADE ME.
[]

Hope you have a good time at Mopars at the Strip!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to burst your bubble, BootCamp, but rumor holds it that the MDS may NOT be offered on the manual versions. The VCT rumored to be added will certainly help all models, but I'm afraid that it might not be that much better than the 5-speed.

On the positive side, congrats on your results. I know 1 Bad Mirada has said many times that his inlaws have been able to get 30 mpg on their 300C. Have you ever done anything to modify the engine such as a performance air filter that would help the mileage? Is that a RWD or AWD Charger R/T, BTW?

Also as Jeremiah said, thanks for sharing the picture.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to burst your bubble, BootCamp, but rumor holds it that the MDS may NOT be offered on the manual versions.
I believe because it is a computer issue trying to read load, rpm, etc. on a manual transmisison is not normally done and so knowing when
to turn on MDS becomes ambigious without many of these variables to calculate.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I hate to burst your bubble, BootCamp, but rumor holds it that the MDS may NOT be offered on the manual versions. The VCT rumored to be added will certainly help all models, but I'm afraid that it might not be that much better than the 5-speed.

On the positive side, congrats on your results. I know 1 Bad Mirada has said many times that his inlaws have been able to get 30 mpg on their 300C. Have you ever done anything to modify the engine such as a performance air filter that would help the mileage? Is that a RWD or AWD Charger R/T, BTW?

Also as Jeremiah said, thanks for sharing the picture.
I realize the MDS will probably not make it into the manual / 6 speed Challenger. While I'd like to "have it all", I realize that's rarely possible. I was just very impressed with the avg mpg this (by modern standards) large V8 got in combined driving - which exceeded the EPA estimates by a fair percentage.
I was also implying that we were told that to get the best mileage out of our '06 RWD R/T (which is still completely stock except for the addition of vent visors on the windows), we should use the cruise control as often as possible. Since I proved - at least to myself - that the computer isn't always better, I'm making a generalization that the auto-stick 5 speed may not necessarily be a better performer than the 6 speed manual (for lower e.t.'s) in the eighth and quarter mile stats as previously indicated/thought.
I've driven standard transmissions for over thirty years now in everything from dirt bikes to VW Beetles to heavy-duty Mack tri-axle dump trucks. I'm not claiming to be the best in the world, but if a standard transmission has a chance to beat the computer controlled auto-stick, I think I'd have a shot at making it do that.
I have to choose between the auto with MDS or the manual without. I think the 6th gear in the manual will help make up a good deal of the mpg difference.......
Decisions, decisions.....
If I opt for the SRT8, the decision is easy - 6 speed manual since neither 6.1L tranny offers MDS.

As for the pic, you're both very welcome. We took quite a few. If I can get a chance to sort through them and clean a few up, I'll try to get some into a photo gallery for anyone who's interested in seeing them.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

I realize the MDS will probably not make it into the manual / 6 speed Challenger. While I'd like to "have it all", I realize that's rarely possible. I was just very impressed with the avg mpg this (by modern standards) large V8 got in combined driving - which exceeded the EPA estimates by a fair percentage.
I was also implying that we were told that to get the best mileage out of our '06 RWD R/T (which is still completely stock except for the addition of vent visors on the windows), we should use the cruise control as often as possible. Since I proved - at least to myself - that the computer isn't always better, I'm making a generalization that the auto-stick 5 speed may not necessarily be a better performer than the 6 speed manual (for lower e.t.'s) in the eighth and quarter mile stats as previously indicated/thought.
I've driven standard transmissions for over thirty years now in everything from dirt bikes to VW Beetles to heavy-duty Mack tri-axle dump trucks. I'm not claiming to be the best in the world, but if a standard transmission has a chance to beat the computer controlled auto-stick, I think I'd have a shot at making it do that.
I have to choose between the auto with MDS or the manual without. I think the 6th gear in the manual will help make up a good deal of the mpg difference.......
Decisions, decisions.....
If I opt for the SRT8, the decision is easy - 6 speed manual since neither 6.1L tranny offers MDS.

As for the pic, you're both very welcome. We took quite a few. If I can get a chance to sort through them and clean a few up, I'll try to get some into a photo gallery for anyone who's interested in seeing them.
Okay, I certainly understand that. I have found that the EPA ratings are awfully conservative numbers and you can get much better if you learn the tricks on how to drive a certain vehicle. I've been able to get in the lower 30s with my Intrepid when the EPA only rated it at 26 originally. I would definitely agree with you that the computers are not always better. I don't know how flat the roads are in your area, but in my area there are plenty of hills and generally just as your about to hit the top of the hill, the darn automatic will downshift and surge ahead which burns up unnecessary gas. If you are on road in somewhere like Nebraska, then cruise control probably will yield better results. Having manual control will certainly aid this problem, plus manuals tend to be more efficient in the first place as well as the fact that this automatic was not designed for fuel efficiency to begin with. Also if you want to help the fuel mileage, try dropping in a K&N standard performance drop in filter, I did that on my Intrepid and it helped the fuel mileage by about 2 mpg.

Honestly BootCamp, I think anybody could beat that transmission. The 5-speed unit you have does not really yield an advantage over 4-speeds if you look at the V6 model that they decided to go back to a 4-speed over it since the results were the same. The shifting is not the fastest either. I'm hoping you are right about the 6th gear in the manual part. I've been hoping that they will for once choose the gearing wisely so then they can maximize fuel economy and acceleration.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 AM

I've always wanted to go to Bristol.. I've been to TX and Charlotte but Bristol has always been one of my favorite tracks.

Good job on the MPG!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: MGDMike
I've always wanted to go to Bristol.. I've been to TX and Charlotte but Bristol has always been one of my favorite tracks.
Good job on the MPG!
Thanks, Bud.
Bristol, Dover, Martinsville, Richmond and New Hampshire are probably the best places to watch a race.
Watkins Glen, Infineon, Indy, Pocono, Talladega and Daytona are the toughest places to watch a race.
With that said, my personal favorite is Lowe's (Charlotte). Walking into that place is like walking into the old Yankee Stadium (no, I'm definitely NOT a Yankee fan) and feeling the ghosts of it's past lingering about the track. I get the same feeling at Saratoga Race Course (thoroughbreds) with it's age and history.

RLSH700;
Here's a little kink in my considerations. With the Challenger R/T getting the refreshed 5.7L HEMI, and 375 HP in the 6 speed, the "kink" is that indications are that not only will the manual NOT offer MDS, but the new engine will require premium fuel. Now I have to weigh all of the options all over again.
[&o]

Quick Reply: 1800 miles in the Charger R/T in 4 Days