Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
95.24%
No
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

6 girls beat up 16 year old; two boys keep watch. Should they get jail time

Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6 girls beat up 16 year old; two boys keep watch

ORIGINAL: BILLBRASKY
So lets not be elitests here,and use religion as the key to everything in life.We where given minds so to use them and make our own minds up and not have people make them up for us.
......No disrespect but I am Jewish so I guess Im not included in all this "good christan" talk.
I read the bible but dont force it on any one else.I believe you have the right to your own beliefs,but to justify them to everyone in every way possible seems a bit much.....
.....Dont we all have a right to discussion with out religion always being dragged into the conversation?
There is a time and place for that,its called church?......
I never knocked or promoted any specific religion - Jewish or Christian. All religions believe in a supreme being, and provide guides/rules to live by.
If we don't bring our religion into our daily lives, and keep/practice it only in secrecy behind the walls of our houses of worship, what good are they?
In Christianity, the parables/lessons were given in agricultural terms so as to transcend the rigors of societal time and change. They were intended to be used forever. If we only do so in our churches/synagogues, then our hearts, thoughts and deeds belong to God for as long as we're there, and to the Devil for the rest of the week.
We need to practice what we preach every day. And we're charged with being good shepherds - ever vigilant in bringing and keeping every sheep into the flock. While I don't meet this charge given to me as a Christian by God nearly as I should, I practice it in my home.
I get turned off by those who preach God to me, and practice everything but for all to see (hypocracy), so I make my focus in my home, where I can more effectively control a smaller environment (my little piece of the world) and teach my family (as I'm charged) to do the right thing. When it becomes a practice at home, it's carried over to the outside to "infect" others.
Walking the walk is much more effective than talking the talk. As you noted, kids are more influneced by what they see rather than what they hear.
.......This stuff all started to happen as the family unit was told not to spank your child,but its ok to let him watch sex and violence on Tv nightly.
This stuff never happened back in the day to the degree it is now happening.If you want to save your kid pull that TV out of their room and limit time in front of the idiot box,and be a parent not a buddy!
I couldn't agree more. The government thinks they know better how to raise our families (and spend our money) than we do. I don't want to get into particulars of my political views or affiliations, so I let this part go at saying that "liberal = permissive", and we need to set a good example for our kids and be a bigger influence to them than some of the garbage we see on TV.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Not perfect... just forgiven.
lear4406, we are certainly not perfect and nor do we claim to be. We are just forgiven. We are after God's own heart.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

!

God gave me a mind to make up my own decisions,right!
Believe what you want but to preach to the wind is just plain out of hand.
To esspecialy use the bible in every topic discusses is also not doing gods work its self promotion,plain and simple.
To point out the obvious isnt an answer either.

We can all agree to disagree isnt that what your all about?I am.

Just be a good human being...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

How about good people Human beings not just christans......
Isnt there another site for that jibberish.

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Man you need to chill. If by being Jewish you think you are not in involved with this discussion you need to look again at where Jeremiah got most of his quotes. straight from the Torah. We as Christians call it the old testament. And yes there is a time for Christian talk or Jewish talk. It should be a part of every conversation you have or areflection of all that you have learned. That is just the attitude that confuses folks outside the faith. So Bill I hope you interject more of your Jewish thoughts and life lessons for us so we can learn from what you have experienced. That is always helpful for us to understand where we stand and our similarities despite the fact of differeces in belief. So join in the convesation and do add your beliefs to it. So who you are and why you believe what you believe is relevent in any convesation. I'm not sure why so many take offense and use the term Bible belt as a put down. i too am in the Bible belt and think its just fine and use the term as a term of endearment. There are good and bad in all forms of humanity. Try to find the good and overlook the bad." Elitest" I think not, look at what Jeremiah posted... no look close. He put words of wisdom and love there. Take it in the form it was given. Not what you think it said with all your preconcieved ideas. Then you will see it for the good it was intended. Find true Christians before you bunch us all together in a group you think less of and talk to them. And you will not see the ideas you are seeing in your mind, but a GOD loving person who is trying to make it on this earth every day and trying to put the teachings of JESUS CHRIST into their everyday life. Not perfect... just forgiven.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jibberish indeed. You seem to have turned this into Christians against the world. You really should go read and comprehind what was written. Not that hard really.. I believe you have an ax to grind or a chip on your shoulder. Either way I will answer you with a yes this is the right site and thread for this type discussion. Off Topic.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to make a few observations. These girls represent the disease I had to deal with while I was growing up and I am frankly tired of it. These kids should all be put into prison and punished thoroughly for what they did. I am appalled at the disgusting things I am seeing people do for a few minuets of fame on Youtube and MySpace. They need to start punishing the recorded examples of abuse that people are preforming against each other to stop it because it is giving even more excuses for people to abuse each other as if they didn't already have enough reasons. What makes me sick is that if half the things on youtube that are being performed on human beings were being done to animals, a stop to it would be a nation wide effort, yet we allow it and call it "freedom of speech." This is in no way a form of speech and not what the founding fathers had in mind with that wonderful amendment. This needs to stop.

My take on disciplining. There is a big difference between spanking and beating. Spankings when performed PROPERLY are the most effective form of discipline I have ever seen in my life. I have seen the results of the "modern" parenting and the results have been that the ones that have the modern forms of discipline are generally the trouble makers because they have no idea of consequences for their actions. I'm already seeing it with my cousins' children. My one cousin spanks while the other time outs and the one that gets time outs acts up over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Right after he gets a timeout he gets in trouble again and what he normally does is he HITs his mother or grandmother. The other one does not hit his parents or his grandmother because he knows what will happen. All my cousin has to do is give him that look and he behaves instantly.

Beatings on the other hand are overboard. Beatings cause psychological problems later and resentment. My Great-Grandfather used to beat my Grandfather and his siblings and they all have/had issues. The grandparents on my other side were spanked, but are very functional individuals and some of the most stable people you will meet. I was spanked and I turned out just fine. I don't drink, smoke, do any drugs, get into any legal trouble, have a college degree, an upcoming job with a respectable organization, get comments about my level of self-discipline being similar to someone who served in the military, etc. My father and I although we don't always see eye-to-eye are very close and he did most of the spankings and believe me, they hurt big time; however, he never once bruised me or even came close to that level.

Billionaire, I'm sorry you didn't have a good relationship with your father. I'm sorry that he was abusive to you, but you have to understand that not all fathers who use carpal punishment are abusive. The fact of matter is many people don't need books on how to parent because they had a good role model for this position in their own parents and they shouldn't be punished for the fact that some parents abuse their position. The fact of the matter is I grew up with kids that had abusive parents that were abusive orally and psychologically that had just as many problems as the ones that were physically abused.

Billbrasky, although I think you have some good points about the TV being a lot of the problem, I don't see the point in complaining about someone else who is doing nothing other than sharing his source of inspiration for answers. I have known Jeremiah now for about 2 and 1/2 years and I can tell you he is not doing this for his own image, he is doing this because this is what he genuinely has found is effective solution and he wants to share what he has found to be effective solution. What is wrong with sharing what he has found to be effective solution? I understand that you might not feel comfortable because you have a slightly different background than many of us do, my adv

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Wow, from a beating, to child discipline, to owning guns, to religion, to raising kids by books, to....what can we move on next. Debate is always a great thing, saying my way, religion, belief, is right and yours is wrong will only start a battle and close a thread.

I'm curious as to the person who voted no and why? Probably something else that will start a pretty big battle I'm sure.