Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

buying a corvette...

Old 12-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buying a corvette...

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Alright, I prefer the looks of the Charger but before the Charger came out, I really liked the looks of the 300C. Just realize that you have somewhat proven my point though. Your willing to pay more just over styling. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying people buy a car based on what they value more than the price of the car itself.

I agree the 300 is one of the best looking sedans in the world. The 300 has a lot of performance potiential. Out of curosity, what would make you choose the Evo over the 300?
first, the transmission.

second, the engine series. the 4g63 has been used for a LONG time, and although it has had its problems, it is a great engine with literally endless aftermarket. ive seen a 4g63 with stock bore and stroke, running a ton of boost, NON intercooled, in a lightened up 2g eclipse run 6.90s @ 200+ mph...[8D]

kelly, what kind of bike do you have? i agree that the VQ is a great engine series, but they squeezed so much out of it that to make more power it takes alot of effort, and they respond poorly to simple modifications. however, they do have a very interesting exhaust tone. if it had a back seat, i would consider a Z car.

jdb, i also know some guys who have gotten HUGE gains out of ported stock heads, a big cam, and bolt ons...and while chevy engines may not be the most durable, small block chevy parts are a dime a dozen. and, as many of you know, i run alot of forums...here, people say that gm engines arent reliable...at other sites, they say the same thing about Dodge motors...its all a matter of opinion because everyone knows someone who has had bad experiences with something.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

First, good reasons for wanting the Evo, that would be a tough decision. I guess it comes down to whether you want luxury over pure performance. If it came down between the two for me it would be difficult, but I'd get the 300C SRT-8 (big surprise huh). I would want a comfortable performance car for a family, since your going to get married and you never know when children will show up.

Secondly, about your comments that I and others have criticized GM engines as being unreliable. I have demonstrated that I criticize everyone including DCX if I see a flaw. I regularly bad mouth the 2.7L and have criticized the I4 line which is about to be discontinued.

The fact is I have seen first hand problems with their current small-block. When they have the piston slap problems the gas engines sound like diesels and will eventually brake. They are also known for intake manifold issues. In fairness, my 3.5L is known for that problem as well. I have seen many a alternator replaced on GM vehicles as well as them need a lot of sensor to be replaced. The LSX series doesn't seem as reliable as the old LT series. Likewise, the Ford SOHC V8 series seems to have more problems than the Windsor engines. The current Chrysler V8 seem about the same as the LA/Magnum line.

To be fair I will list good engines from the different manufactures in another thread.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

im not trying to say that youre picking on GM...but i know several guys with HEAVILY modded LSXs, and they havent had this piston slap issue, and they are running ALOT of nitrous...

the srt8 is the obvious choice, as we do have a child already...well, she does...so i do too. i found the evo to be very comfy, but you are right that there is no comparison luxury-wise.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:15 AM

I didn't have much problems with the engine I had with my Silverado. Just that crappy tranny. Started going out at 37,000 miles. 36,000 was the warranty, and I called just to see if they would do anything even though the warranty was up and of course they said no. Probably because they repaired or replaced that type of tranny all the time. I know several people with the same year truck and suburban with the same tranny, All had problems with them. One guy had his replaced 3 times in 2 years. I think the tranny number was 4LE.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM

Hey bro, awesome chart!!! I wish you the best in your decision and hope you get the car you truely want.

You left this one out, so I figured that I would add it. I'm assuming that your not interested but surprisingly enough, there is a new low price for cost per horsepower, its the GTO. I'm betting that you can get one for way under $31,290 also!

Model - GTO
Msrp - $31,290
HP - 400
Torque - 400
Curb wt. - 3,725
Trans - 6-speed
Hp-wt - 9.31
$$/hp - 78.2

Old 12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator

the GTO is a prety nice car. around here, you can get them for under 30k with some hunting.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

TechmanBD: You most likely had the 4L60-E or 4L65-E depending on the year.

Bored out: you are right that the GTO is a pretty good deal. I'm not the craziest of their over used exterior styling but I love their interior, I just wish they wouldn't have gone so overboard with red!

Patrick: None the less you can still google it and find some cases. It was pretty wide spread.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts