Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Camaro at the dealer

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro at the dealer

So they are putting a demo Camaro at dealerships, a RS, and invinting people for the launch of them, you know with food and drink, everything Dodge didn't really do. I'm going to the launches, two of them, to bring my Challenger, which should be a blast after this last experience. They happened to have a sign up this Sat stating that the 2010 Camaro was there. We decided, my wife and I, to go and check it out. Not impressed. It's nice for a car, but retro it is not. The trunk is decent, the opening is not. The inside is strange, but useable. Overall, not great, but not terrible, retro Camaro it is not.

Anyway, there was a couple there, with kids, just drooling over it, checking it out over and over, you know walking around it. The husband asked my wife, "isn't it great", and my wife responded, "eh." Kind of like, eh, it's ok type of response. After a while they finally left and I saw him walking towars his Dodge Ram when he glimpsed my Challenger parked a few spaces up the way. I was just waiting for that chance. He walked over to my Challenger, I met him over there, he asked if it was mine and I told him it was. I let him check it out and he fell in love, loved the stick shift and everything, his wife admitted that he would get in trouble with it.

After asking me some other questions about it he said that he preferred the Challenger over the Camaro. Oh that was great, but that didn't top it off. After my wife and I signed up for the reveal luncheon thing, we got in the car and a sales person came walking over. He asked me some questions, said nice car and then said "don't tell my manager, but I like the Challenger better then the Camaro." Oh that was the greatest thing to end that whole experience.

Needless to say, I can't wait to see how many people go from wanting the Camaro to wanting the Challenger. Of course if everyone is going to have to wait months for the Challenger to be built after they ordered it, they may just turn around and get the Camaro after all. I still think that one moment will be worth it though. I wonder if they'll let me pull my Challenger up next to the 67 Camaro and the new Camaro that they are bringing in? It would be great if I could get someone with an old Challenger to come along with me. The true comparison. Oh would those Chevy people at those dealerships be mad.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is classical. I have a few guys I work with that are die hard Chevy guys and they feel cheated by GM for not going the classic 67-69 retro look. They tell me that Dodge got it right and I cannot agree more with them. I'm glad the bowtie boys have a Camaro, just wish they would of got what they wanted.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Little update to this for everyone. I went to another "grand reveal" just last night, hey they have free food there lol, and more shocking things happened. When I pulled in, I had one fo the salesmen come up to me and ask if I could pull around to the other side. This is where they were having a "show" area if you will just outside where some 90s Camaro's were parked, a 67 Camaro and now me. This kind of blew me away since I was the competition and didn't expect it. Had some people that were there for the unveiling a little upset also because they thought that I had raided their party. They cooled down once I told them that I was asked to bring it over.

Well, there was also a girl there that was just totally crazy about the Challenger. Talk about funny stuff, especially since her family had brought in the 90s Camaros. Boy was that great. The night just got better from that point as someone else with an SRT8 was asked to bring it around and park it for a little while. Then someone with an around 71 Camaro came pulling in. Now that was a Camaro, pretty much everything stock. That was nice to see. The 67 was nice, but it wasn't stock like this one.

To top everything off, the final car to come in, while I was there anyway and I'm sure the final one since it was cold, windy and getting ready to rain, was a replica 66 Shelby Cobra 427. Boy was that a nice way to end the night.

Though the cars weren't in the same class, we once again had Ford, Chevy and Dodge muscle all together like the good old days. Like a lot of people do care, in my case I care didn't which was faster, who can beat who or who looks better, it was just nice to see the big three together once again. Who knows when this will no longer happen and it will only be something you can tell your kids or grandkids about.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 AM

That was a nice experience. Thanks for sharing, Axel.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 AM

Default The big three need alot more shows

Im not a big fan of the new Camaro even though Ive owned a 69 z 28 and have 2002 ss the new one I dont care for but to get people interested in cars again these shows are important to the future of Chevy Dodge and Ford Yesterday I drove the Challenger to Indy lots of people looking and smiling these are the type of cars that can be sold if the public sees them. The new Camaro was at the track lots of lookers also
Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 PM

While visiting my Mother at the nursing home last Friday, I saw a new Camaro R/S. It was red and was owned by the fellow that manages the crew in charge of maintenance. It was better looking in person than some of the pictures that I had seen. It had a cloth interior and auto transmission. I was surprised that this fellow owned it because he had driven a Go-Mango Charger Daytona before and really liked it.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM

I do hope the V8 sounds a lot better than the V6. They fired one up at the show and let me tell you it was nasty. It sounded like a Jap turbo 4 cylinder. It was terrible.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:58 PM

They got one in at the dealer near me so I went and checked it out. Didn't really do it for me the same way as when I first saw the challenger in person, even though I think it's a cool car. I sat in it, and while I'm glad they at least did something interesting with the interior, the visibility is even worse than the challenger. I mean the view out the front is like looking through a crack in the wall. There's also a weird dip down the middle due to the "reverse mohawk" thing which I thought was weird since on the outside it's just a tiny indentation, but inside it makes the roof come down like an inch. Also I thought the rear "fender vents" were kinda pointless. I thought they would at least look functional but they're just little indentations.

Overall I think it's a nice car, and if you prefer its looks to the challenger's, or even think they're about equal, it's definitely a no brainer.