Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!

yea...that is exactly how i look at it carbon...

but since looks are personal preference i understand khris' argument. To him the camaro looks just as good as the challenger and is less expensive with better performance than the top model challenger. so i understand him completely.

as for me I thought about changing my mind about 20 times already but everytime i look at the challenger I cant resist it and that is why I am getting one.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich mans muscle car...1970 Challenger. How old are you guys? Were you even born in the 70s? Try 442 olds, Buick WS6. Pontiac Trans-am, These were the high dollar muscle cars of the 70s As far as if you want a less expensive car then go for it. A man has got to know his limitations I looked at the title in this post and it said"leaked". So heres to fantasy. I'd really wait until it hits the dealers to see what the price is and then do your crowing. Hope to meet a few of you really fast Camaros around my way. If not in my 2009 SRT-8 top of the line, over priced Challenger and under powered for the dime. Then my 70 will have to do and I aint scared
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 PM

4k for a challenger in the 70s was pretty expensive but it was the best lookin of the bunch imo....(including the shelby gt500 fastback which i love)
Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

If not in my 2009 SRT-8 top of the line, over priced Challenger and under powered for the dime. Then my 70 will have to do and I aint scared
Don't even waste the fuel in your 70. That would be like unleashing hell on earth. The 09 can easily dispatch any modern competition.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the Challenger is so well thought of as a muscle car from the 70s (Cuda included) is it came with a big block that was easily accessable. They designed it to fit in the E-body pony cars. COPO Camaros were rare as were Yenkos. Big block Mustangs were rare and a pain in the butt to do the simplest of tune ups on. The R/T Challenger had a choice of big blocks 383, 440 and 6-packs and if you dared 426 King Kong motor. But as few as they made of Challengers and Cudas there were more big blocks available in these machines. If you were a Chevy guy you would need a Chevelle or bigger to get one. Ford guy... try Torino or Fairlane. The 302s and 350 Camaros were no match for a big block Challenger. Mustangs with 302s and 351s could not compete with the big blocks of the e-bodies. There is nothing wrong with the engines that Ford and GM put into their pony cars, they were legendary. But stock small block pony cars could not out drag the stock big blocks that the E cars had. And the big block Camaros and Mustangs were far and few between. More likely to be seen on the big boulivards than on any street USA. It was the best of times and the bestest of times
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

And what's the surprise? GM was intending this to be a higher volume car than Chrysler as that is Chevrolet's strategy, yet the profit margin is generally small. Considering we are in a slow down, this could be a risky strategy for GM to attempt. I made the point years ago and I will make it again.

Ford=Chevrolet

Pontiac=Dodge

Chevrolet doesn't = Dodge

Ford & Chevrolet are volume divisions, Dodge isn't a volume division. That was Plymouth and it is gone now partly because of how much volume determines success in the modern economy. Dodge is a more premium brand than Chevrolet or Ford; therefore, this doesn't surprise me. Also remember that the Challenger is larger than either of these cars. That is part of the reason behind the cost. The looks to me define the reason for purchasing a car. If I wanted fastest acceleration time for the price and looks being forgotten, I'd get a turbo I4. The Camaro may very well be faster and cheaper for what you are getting; however, remember this. When the Camaro was discontinued. It was a better bargin and faster than the Mustang, but it and it's twin sold less than half of the Mustang's sales combined. There is more to a car muscle car than power and price, it is also about looks. The Mustang GT was quite a bit slower than the Z28 and Formula and the Cobra was still a bit slower for a higher price, but the Mustang won because it was more livable and better looking. Looks close the deal.

Also, again why is anyone surprised. This is precisely what GM does. They wait until everyone else shows their hand, then they adjust theirs to be the "best." The followers strategy cannot lead. It simply doesn't work.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Well lear im 23, but my girl's pops has told me that a few times about it being a rich mans hot-rod... He's 60, he builds hot-rods so i'll take his word over just about anyones... And when you compare the prices and performance against the Camaro it does kinda resemble that... A "Rich mans toy"... I didn't really mean to offend anybody just point something out that's all... I've said recently if they'd make an SRT Challenger with a cloth interrior and a standard stero with CD, without that MyGig and Bluetooth waste of money... I'd be all over it if they could price it right...
Most of us agree that the R/T is the better bargain than the SRT...Soo... You can buy an SS for just severl hundred more than an R/T... and there's really no comparison...That's what im thinking about really long and hard... My mind isn't 100% made up yet but im leaning away from the Challegner... Im going to wait till the end of the model year and see what happens with rebates...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

Well lear im 23, but my girl's pops has told me that a few times about it being a rich mans hot-rod... He's 60, he builds hot-rods so i'll take his word over just about anyones... And when you compare the prices and performance against the Camaro it does kinda resemble that... A "Rich mans toy"... I didn't really mean to offend anybody just point something out that's all...
Well, he MIGHT have meant the Challenger was a rich-man's hot rod compared to the Barracuda, since Dodge was a more premium brand than was Plymouth. But a rich man's hot rod? I had a 70 Challenger. Believe me, if I had anything, it definitely wasn't something that only rich men could afford. I'm 53, by the way.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 AM

it wasnt the rich man muscle car...it just happened to be more expensive than the others.... but muscle cars have always been lots of hp for a bargain.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

it wasnt the rich man muscle car...it just happened to be more expensive than the others.... but muscle cars have always been lots of hp for a bargain.
It wasn't a rich man's muscle car, but some of the options seemed to be...such as the Hemi which was almost $1,000.00..a lot of money back then for basically a de-tuned racing engine that was hard to keep in top tune. My 70 Challenger 440 RT/SE had every option but sunroof, rear spoiler, or Dana. Had everything else such as cruise control, power windows, steering, brakes, top of line AM/FM stereo, Auto, AC, rear window defroster, 6-way seat.....this car more than likely sold for close to $5,000.00, new..a lot of money for a "muscle car" when Lincolns and Cads were in the same price range! However, while most Challengers came better equiped than most Camaros...my Challenger was the exception to the rule as most were not loaded with this many power robbing options.
The 70 Challenger came late to the came and Dodge offered everything they could to help sales....you could have it your way...for sure...cruiser or racer...
**Also when I was in High School you could find bargin muscle cars on the back row of used car lots...I may have missed the performance years...but I got to buy what others quickly grew tried of, and at a great price....
***It was truly the best of times to be into performance cars........................

Quick Reply: CAMARO PRICING LEAKED!