Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chrysler Historical?

Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Historical?

In my post in the classic Challenger section, I mentioned my concern about the hood on my Challenger potentially coming to meet me in an accident. I sent a request for information to Chrysler historical:

Hi,
Could you give me any information on where to find data, reports, and/or film footage of Chrysler's crash testing of the 1970 Dodge Challenger?

Thanks,
Russ Boyd
This is the reply I got:

Information of that type is not supplied to the public even if it still existed.

Regards,

Bruce R. Thomas
Corporate Historian
Seemed a bit terse, but maybe he just replies like that to everyone seeking Chrysler information. I'm not quite ready to give up, though, so I just sent this:

Bruce,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry, but I am a bit confused. A recent magazine article I read stated that in some crash testing of the 1970 Challenger the hood was sent through the windshield. I own a 1970 Challenger, a product manufactured by your company, that I now learn may have a serious safety defect, and this information is not supplied to the public? It seems I should have some right to have access to information that could directly effect my personal safety.

If it is corporate policy not to release this information, who would I need to contact to get that policy changed?

Sincerely,
Russell Boyd
We'll see if it gets me anywhere...
Old 12-15-2007, 06:47 AM

Default RE: Chrysler Historical?

Well, good luck with that. I doubt that information is even around anywhere as well. [&o]
Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

i dont know when the govt started requiring that sort of thing...but i think that it was more recently than 1970. i dont think that many companies put much effort into crashing their cars before it was required.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM

The 1970 Challenger hood does exactly what you have found. That is why they changed the design of the hood crumple features for 1971 on. I believe that the repro hoods that are available have this upgrade and are correct for 71 thru 74 Challengers. They will work on 70 Challengers though. I have a friend that works for Chrysler as a Crash Test Engineer and he has told me that they do not have records that far back.

Bob
Old 12-15-2007, 03:00 PM

I have a friend that works for Chrysler as a Crash Test Engineer and he has told me that they do not have records that far back.
Thank you! Now, why couldn't he have just told me that? I figured that was the purpose of the bracing creases, but of course my hood doesn't have them.

So, next question if anyone knows: For that hood to come that far back, there had to be some catastrophic failure point in both the latch and the hinges. Where did they fail? Is this something a set of Grade 8 bolts at the mounting points would fix or is is more complicated than that?

I've considered cutting weak points into my bracing, too. Could someone post pics of the underside of your newer hood so I can see where Chrysler put those creases? Sure would be cheaper and easier than a new hood (and the painting it would require).

I've been wondering about the whole convertible safety thing lately... There are other obvious issues other than the hood (like the pics of Jeremiah 29:11's friend's truck a few days ago). A full roll cage seems a bit extreme but not completely out of the question. I'm beginning to understand the mentality that caused my mom to sell her '65 Skylark convertible when my sister was born in 1970.

There is a whole lot of my dad, and a whole lot of memories in this car; I'd hate to part with it, but I can't see putting myself and my family at unnecessary risk for an occasional wind-in-the-hair ride, either... Maybe I don't need a toy that bad...

Just thinking out loud. Decisions, decesions...

The kids said keep the K.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

We had a Christmas party at his house last night and he has already bought another F150 Supercrew to replace the flipped truck.

Trucks are certainly easier to flip over because they are top heavy but cars will to.

I could tell he was ready for the party to be over because his body was still in pain all over from when the truck flipped.

I do not think the human body is meant to take that kind of abuse.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 AM

Between the safety issues and the price of Sunoco Ultra, my wife and I are leaning toward an extended sabbatical for the Challenger. Full tank w/ Sta-Bil, oil change, jack stands; time to pray, think, and prioritize, but nothing rash or irreversible.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

We had a Christmas party at his house last night and he has already bought another F150 Supercrew to replace the flipped truck.

Trucks are certainly easier to flip over because they are top heavy but cars will to.

I could tell he was ready for the party to be over because his body was still in pain all over from when the truck flipped.

I do not think the human body is meant to take that kind of abuse.
Do Ford's trucks have more issues with this? The reason why I ask is I know the police department in my hometown has a few Expenditions (don't ask me why, it seems like a total waste to me especially for a town that has no real industries anymore...other than the underground industry) and there was an accident that happened a couple years ago that lead to the one being rolled on it's roof. We all know about the whole faulty Firestone Wilderness tires issue that lead to the Explorer flipping over. I can't recall hearing this many issues with GM or Dodge trucks.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

SUV's flip over the worse because they are top heavy and the width from wheel to wheel is narrow than a truck typically.
You can flip it over by turning it too fast.

Truck's are also top heavy and as such if you hit it with a low car it will flip it over and that is exactly what happend to my friend.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.