Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chrysler pondering what Models to Cut

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler pondering what Models to Cut

"....Wednesday morning's Detroit Free Press reports that Chrysler is "set to ax models," "up to five that compete with other company vehicles are likely to go." Reporter Tim Higgins is short by two models...."

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6218925/...would-you-cut/

The Nitro (while I like the look) I never understood why they'd want to sell to Liberties (Jeep and Dodge version)....

Keep the Viper...I mean that's cred.....I agree w/ the T&C...as for the Pacifica....I just never got the crossover...but then again, I never got the SUV so I'm probably not objective enough to comment on anything SUV like....

Old 10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Chrysler pondering what Models to Cut

Some of these ideas I can agree with, other ones seems like a very moronic idea. Cutting the Sebring? Whether or not it is selling is not because their isn't a desire for that segment, its called, it looks strange. Give it some less awkward styling and a competitive powertrain and it will start to sell again. The Compass has to go for the U.S. production. The Viper needs a little work on the interior side to help it sell better and offer some features that some will not be happy to see them offer but a majority will probably like (an optional automatic). The Challenger should not become the flagship, the last thing I think Chrysler should consider doing is look at Ford's strategy and implement it on this one.

Dropping the Durango isn't the best idea in my opinion, cut production, but don't get rid of it. Cutting the Dakota is a stupid idea. Offer a more competitive powertrain and it will do fine and offer the Hemi in it already. The Commander needs to go as it has been a failure; however, why the heck they want to turn the Grand Cherokee into the Commander and possibly kill it blows my mind. Dropping the Chrysler T&C sounds like a bad idea. It still sells quite well and since Chrysler's luxury image is probably dead and gone with all the brand watering down that has happened since the 80s and hit an all-time low during the merger, keep it going just make it stand out more. Dropping the Crossfire is just common sense. The Magnum I'm afraid just hasn't been popular; however, I think the name should live on for the LY Dodge Sedan. Save the Charger name for something else.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM

My thoughts are thus:

The Avenger has grown on me, but that Sebring... why Chrysler decided to model it after the extroardinarily underwhelming Saturn Ion with old 1990s Pontiac Grand Am-style body cladding is way beyond me. I agree, don't cut it, but redesign that eyesore ASAP. The previous Sebring was no beauty queen but it was miles-better looking than this new insult-to-the-eyes design is.

The Durango and Aspen, I say keep them but they should have a quick redesign too, although the Aspen is a far better looking truck than the Durango. This year's front modifications on the Durango helped... but they weren't enough. There's still a strong market for truck-based SUVs and with proper execution I think the Durango/Aspen could do quite well if given another chance.

The Dakota... that's a tough one. The compact truck market is pretty much drying up (yeah I know, the Dakota is really a mid-size), Ford is dropping the Ranger and GM hasn't had much luck with its Colorado/Canyon twins (the fact that they're quite ugly I'm sure hasn't helped). No matter what Dodge does with the Dakota, it'll always be overshadowed by the larger Ram. But with gas prices the way they are, maybe the Dakota will become more popular over time. Verdict: too close to call.

The Pacifica, I believe, has been let down by its ultra-crappy reliability in its first couple of years, and even though the latest version is much improved, I'm sure its lousy reliabilty reputation, deserved or not, will continue to dog it. I say keep it and redesign in the same vein as the new GM crossovers (the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, etc).

The Compass... ABSOLUTELY kill it. Termination with extreme prejudice should be the order of the day for that god-awful hideous atrocity.

The Patriot... it could have a shot, much like the Ford Escape or Chevy Equinox. At least it has some Jeep heritage styling of the 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee going for it.

The Commander... never really cared for it, honestly don't really care what happens to it one way or the other. And now that the new Liberty looks like a downsized Commander, that makes it all the more irrelevant.

The Town & Country... yeah I suppose it can stick around. Now that Chrysler is the only domestic minivan market in town since Ford and GM bugged out this year, it's probably gonna be more popular than ever, so it might make sense to keep it around.

The Crossfire (I thought that was already dead) - if it isn't already, then kill it. It's an intriguing idea... if Chrysler were actually serious about making a car equivalent to the Cadillac XLR, then I'd be all for it. But as it stands, the Crossfire always seemed like a half-assed idea. The roadster wasn't half-bad looking, but the coupe version... yucko. Any car with side profile resembling a dog squatting to do its "business"... uh-uh. To the guillotine it should go.

Now... aren't you glad you asked.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

More to this....while the Magnum is being zeroed in ...the folks making 'em don't seem to concerned as they'll just make more 300's and Chally's......

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/268411

Here's a crazy thought....why not go Toyota Solara (ie Camry) on some of the LX's and offer *the original idea* of a two or four door model....you'll have the chasis, right? (chally). Now, if someone wants a luxury ride w/ a little more sporty appearance go two door..... I mean is it that much of a stretch.....

I agree, the looks on the Sebring have been trashed....I mean.....it ranks right up there w/ the Ford 500 (soon to be called Taurus)....

I liked these when they first came out as convertibles, looked they had an almost functional back seat...but now.....vapid appearance......

Have a 300c Coupe, 300c Convertible, and save grace with the Charger and offer it as a Coupe as well.....if you're tooling up for one frame why not exploit the economies of scale, seems like a body rework on the existing models wouldn't be ridiculously difficult...get some more mileage out of it......and maybe, for those who need a Cuda, resurrect a "one model only brand plymouth"...special order available at Dodge and Chrylser dealers.....

Think outside of the box, you're back on this side of the water, why not break the status quo.....and don't sell out again to foreign companies....

Old 10-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

More to this....while the Magnum is being zeroed in ...the folks making 'em don't seem to concerned as they'll just make more 300's and Chally's......

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/268411

Here's a crazy thought....why not go Toyota Solara (ie Camry) on some of the LX's and offer *the original idea* of a two or four door model....you'll have the chasis, right? (chally). Now, if someone wants a luxury ride w/ a little more sporty appearance go two door..... I mean is it that much of a stretch.....

I agree, the looks on the Sebring have been trashed....I mean.....it ranks right up there w/ the Ford 500 (soon to be called Taurus)....

I liked these when they first came out as convertibles, looked they had an almost functional back seat...but now.....vapid appearance......

Have a 300c Coupe, 300c Convertible, and save grace with the Charger and offer it as a Coupe as well.....if you're tooling up for one frame why not exploit the economies of scale, seems like a body rework on the existing models wouldn't be ridiculously difficult...get some more mileage out of it......and maybe, for those who need a Cuda, resurrect a "one model only brand plymouth"...special order available at Dodge and Chrylser dealers.....

Think outside of the box, you're back on this side of the water, why not break the status quo.....and don't sell out again to foreign companies....

Why do you see the LX cars and the Camry as being similar? Not an uncommon comparison, but I don't see what they have in common. A convertible I would definitely agree with on the 300C, but I'm not sure about a coupe version for it; however, it would have to be a limited production run. I would naturally agree in the case of the Charger that it should have a coupe version.

I agree with coming out with the Cuda and using the Plymouth badge, the only problem from what I understand is that would take a large investment to do that, so I would put Plymouth back into full production and dismantle the Chrysler-in-name-only models from the Chrysler line and offer it in Plymouth (non-luxurious models and non-premium trim levels).

The Sebring needs different styling and possibly a new name after this attempt to build a sedan styled Crossfire.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

No similarities what so ever in the Camry and LX cars. I trying to allude to the marketing decision to off a 2 dr version in the form of the Solara...

I think it makes a lot of sense to offer 2dr version of popular 4dr sedans.......that's all.....I was just using Toyota as an example, because they are one of the first in recent history to have the intelligence to expand a popular automobile to another demo who likes 2 dr cars....

I know the whole reason behind not offering the Charger as a 2 dr was because there was no platform and it would have required an additional investment in tooling up, designing and developing the other chasis....my point is now they have made this investment...don't get pigeon holed in "what kept you from doing it originally", I've seen it my business, a team will not do something because at a particular time there are obstacles or it's just flat out not possible...then things will change and they'll forget to re-approach....hell, I've done it myself...then something clicks and I figure "whoa, I can do it this way now 'cause I can now"....

Hopefully Chrysler will have enough vision to make the most of this platform, and find some winners on the same platform....as for why a 300c Coupe....if they're axing the Sebring coupe.....why not replace it w/ another tight ride....I think the 300c would look good as a 2dr and you could have a sport lux w/ some mopar soul to make it roll........

Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
I agree with coming out with the Cuda and using the Plymouth badge, the only problem from what I understand is that would take a large investment to do that, so I would put Plymouth back into full production and dismantle the Chrysler-in-name-only models from the Chrysler line and offer it in Plymouth (non-luxurious models and non-premium trim levels).
That's been one of my exact agruments against dumping Plymouth from the gitgo. With the exception of the Prowler, Plymouth's last 20 years or so have been nothing more than rebadged Dodges, insitinguishable from more than 5 feet away (could anyone else really tell the difference between a Dodge or a Plymouth Neon? Didn't think so).

The Prowler could have been a great start for that very trend. The PT Cruiser, IMHO, should have been a Plymouth. Same with the Crossfire. That way, Chrysler could have gotten back to its basic roots as a true, genuine luxury car maker in the same vein of Cadillac and Lincoln and not have its image further diluted by offering stripped-down minivans and 4-cyl econoboxes in addition to their higher-image offerings... but they SO missed the boat on this one. Also, who wouldn't applaud the idea of a PLYMOUTH Barracuda when the Challenger is introduced? Especially since GM flat-out refuses to make a Pontiac Firebird twin to the new Camaro (despite obvious demand for one), here would have been a perfect opportunity for Chrysler to one-up GM.... but alas, they can't.

I dunno. I so wish Chrysler and Cerberus all the success in the world... I only hope that past bonehead decisions don't come back to haunt them. Guess we'll see.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I think the PT Cruiser was a Plymouth before the disolving of that company/brand.....

As for the 2dr 300c, for a quick and dirty mock up done just now this doesn't suck I don't think...

[IMG]local://upfiles/924/E3050EE5CDCE4A2EA8DA531C9F88E8CE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM

I don't really care for that image it reminds me of the cadillac catera.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Really? I don't really see it maybe a more organic XLR but I don't see the Catera.......

[IMG]local://upfiles/924/5D15CE3F552B47918C7F5A1BC6747402.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Chrysler pondering what Models to Cut