Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Comparison Test: 2008 Dodge Charger R/T vs. 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Old 02-26-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comparison Test: 2008 Dodge Charger R/T vs. 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

THANK YOU RLSH700 for saying what i have been saying for a while .........EDMUNDS is a chrysler hater did you see what they tested the srt8 at? LOL its rediculous and it has all the mustang boys going wild.(jk albeeno)
Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

The more comparisons I see Edmunds do on Chrysler products, the less credible I find them. I find it ironic how they are about the only ones getting times that slow on the Charger R/Ts and everyone else is getting between 5.3-5.9 secs on average. If anything, the Pontiac deserves worse criticism. Look at what Chrysler had to work with here. The transmission they are using is an old design from 1996 that yields no advantages in comparisons between it and the Chrysler sourced 42RLE 4-speed on the V6 models, yet the Pontiac has a 6-speed that was designed in 2006 (ten year difference). The Pontiac has a .3 liter/19 cubic inch advantage, a compression ratio advantage of 10.4 to 1 vs. the Charger's 9.6 to 1, its lighter and shorter. Yet in the more credible comparison, it is only .2 faster than the Charger, after they have had 3 years to perfect the car. That is pathetic. I'm looking forward to see what the new VCT will do to this comparison. I also look forward to see the Pontiac's GXP model that we all know they will offer before long.

My biggest complaint about the MT article is their complaint about the price. These guys get on my nerves about their complaints about the pricing. If the manufacturer offers the options, they must have them, then they complain about how expensive they are, then they complain if the car is cheaper that they don't have the options. Note to MT, if you can't use your wallet wisely, then don't blame the manufacturers for tempting you and don't blame them for when they don't tempt you.
Preach Preacher[sm=admin.gif]!!

Your right RLSH700 and Kevin2323, aside from the Challenger they have been overly harsh on Chrysler at times during comparisons.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

It's more than that, kevin. Edmunds is very inconsistent on what is important and what is not important. The thing that gets on my nerves about them is they like to selectively enforce certain rules. They will judge a minivan based on the performance over anything that actually is important on a minivan. They spend more time trying to use an old joke that frankly wasn't that funny to begin with to slam a car more than actually say what is actually wrong with the car they are reviewing which frankly proves to me they have a credibility issue("I drive a Dodge Avenger!"). I don't think there is any other more obvious sign of bias than the article they did on the long-term test on the Honda Pilot where the timing belt snapped. The driver made the snide remark that he wanted to drive any Honda over a Chrysler Pacifica since it had to be more reliable, yet it was the Pacifica that saved them. Although they claimed that incident had shaken their faith in Honda, they covered up that issue by not mentioning it in their future reviews, yet everytime they compare a Chrysler product, they always have to mention a concern about if the transmission will hold, when I have yet to see a case where they actually had a failure while testing the vehicle, yet Honda is also known for having transmission issues and they never mention that. I have trouble trusting any automotive press outlet because they are all slanted, but Edmunds is towards the bottom of my list.

Thank you both for your kind comments. I appreciate them.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM

yea I get ya..