Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Drove an '07 Shelby GT

Old 08-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove an '07 Shelby GT

I'm going to relate this story to you guys, even though I know there are several Mustang haters among you. I went back to my hometown last weekend to judge the local Lion's club car show, which I do every year. My Dad used to be very active in the Lions and helped runthat show when he was alive, so the guys running it now request I come back to help judge it, and select the winner of his memorial award each year. Anyway, one of the chairmen of it is the sales manager for the local Ford and Dodge dealer, and he had a new 07 Shelby GT there on display. After the show was over, he needed someeone to bring it back to the dealership- I naturally couldn't volunteer fast enough. As I was getting in it to leave the park, he tells me to take it up the road and have some fun with it.... didn't need to tell me twice! I have liked the styling of the new Mustangs since they came out; this was the first I ever got to drive- and I was VERY impressed. I actually was trying to think how I could afford to buy it... it was that much fun! I know it had quite a bit more power than the standard Mustang GT, 370 vs 300 HP I believe, but this car just wanted to GO. Never have I been so tempted to go Ford than I was after that ride.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Default RE: Drove an '07 Shelby GT

Awesome

actually it is 325 HP's. It is the same car they used for Hertz. The only difference is the colors. Of course those numbers are based at the fly wheel. It has the FRPP CAI with tune, and for sound it has the FRPP GTA axlebacks. So it is a little louder that the GT and a more grunt sound. I know this as I put them on mine. I like them as they are not too loud but sound good, and no drone. A lot of the axle backs have a drone at certain RPM's, except one that are Corsas, but to steep in price fro my blood.

Was it an automatic or manual?

Of course, don't mention this on the dodge forum as they will rip you a new one. As they did me when I picked mine up after the neon was destroyed,
Old 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM

It was a 5 speed. Could catch rubber through the first 3 gears. I was quite impressed! The 370 number was what he told me- I do know the Shelby package added 12K to the pricetag!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Honestly I like the new Shelby GT350. It is a viable alternative to the people who wanted a GT500 but couldn't stand the markup or limited availablity or those who wanted (and could afford) something above a GT
Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to relate this story to you guys, even though I know there are several Mustang haters among you.
For me I wouldn't use the word hate, but maybe competitive.

After all back in the day, my wife owned a Camaro, I had a Challenger, and now my oldest son has a Black 2006 Mustang GT.

What I do hate was I had sold the Challenger, but the Camaro couldn't be helped since it was totaled in an accident but God protected
her and later I married her. A crazy guy hit her going off an express ramp and going through a red light. Then he tried to leave the scene
and ran into 3 other cars. He was not a popular guy that day. The whole right passenger side was caved in. If a passenger would have been in it
they would have been killed.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM

I've only ever owned one Ford before, and even though I liked the styling of the new Mustang, never thought much about buying one- at least, not till now. I would have thought that for the added 12K for the Shelby package, it would have added more than 25 HP over stock- I know it felt like more. I would still be a pretty happy dude if I could put it in my garage, though. I'll post up a pic when I get back home and get it off the camera.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go TeeWJay426. Doing your civic duty and helping a guy out. Way to step up and volunteer to drive that car back. I but it was a blast to drive. Sounds like you had fun and helped out all at the same time. The new Mustangs are very retro and the supporting companies add a lot of bang. As far as hating, I sure don't. I have owned Chrysler products only and I bleed hemi orange. But I have a mutual respect for most brands of muscle cars. Enjoy the ride when the chance pops up and have a blast doing it.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you had a fun time and that is all that matters. I don't necessarily hate the Mustang, I just don't care for the styling as I don't think it looks as retro as everyone says it does. I liked the styling of the previous versions. I'm also annoyed that a supercharged GT500 is slower than a 5.4L Cobra R. It just doesn't make sense.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Yes, $12k is awfully steep price to pay for only 25 more hp, especially when you aren't getting all of that at the wheels and especially when you can get a lot more out of it for that price, but you aren't just paying for the hp increase. Here's what all comes with it, though I still would put other things in it for $12k then what they do. The fake hood scoop would have to go.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangsp...07shelbygt.htm
Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM

Thanks for that link, Axel. After seeing what the package includes, I'd say about 6k is for the car's mods and the other 6K is for the Shelby name...... Definitely not worth the extra 12k, but it was still a fun ride, which I'd be happy to own.... for MY price, not theirs!

Quick Reply: Drove an '07 Shelby GT